Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wasp injector knife
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PBTHHHHT
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/06/16/w...ctor-knife.html

Anti shark knife. I wonder about the feasibility of such a device. Anyway, for y'all to look at critique/make fun of and maybe make stats.
Sir_Psycho
Perfect for dispatching White Anglo Saxon Protestants.

Here's a vid

As you can see, the high pressure discharge is enough to blow the user's arm back a little. So I doubt the feasibility of the weapon in combat, unless you managed to get hilt deep, and by then the person is likely to be incapacitated without you blowing up/freezing their internal organs.

However, that kind of questionable science fits wonderfully with shadowrun, although I can't say I would know how to stat it up. If you get more than 2 net hits on the attack they have to roll against an additional 5P. Cold damage?
nezumi
That said, it would make a great distraction in a knife fight! Put something with some color in there, a puff of smoke. amd there you go.
Backgammon
If you get into a knife fight against a shark using a 6 inch blade, you technically don't even need the knife since you can probably knock the shark out with your gigantic balls.
nezumi
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jun 16 2008, 08:06 PM) *
If you get into a knife fight against a shark using a 6 inch blade, you technically don't even need the knife since you can probably knock the shark out with your gigantic balls.

Hey, when a shark comes at you with a knife, you don't have a lotta choices.
RunnerPaul
What ever happened to just punching them in the nose?
Backgammon
Stopped working when they got lasers on their heads
KarmaInferno
I wonder if you could adapt that system to mount on a trollbow arrow...

grinbig.gif

better known as injector arrowheads...
hermit
Personally, I'd recommend building a comlink into it, putting a courier sprite into the link and have it diagnose the knife. Adds a whopping (sprite power*2/3) dice, round up, to any attack the knife makes. While we're at the topic of doing downright ridiculous things with SR4 rules.

Otherwiese, +2 net hits and cold damage looks good to me. USeful against spirits, but not for much else.
Daier Mune
Never bring a knife to a sharkfight.
hobgoblin
for a moment there i thought i read snarkfight nyahnyah.gif
Kingboy
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jun 16 2008, 07:30 PM) *
However, that kind of questionable science fits wonderfully with shadowrun...

Certainly less silly than the old Laser Crescent Axe.
Jackstand
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 16 2008, 07:29 PM) *
Hey, when a shark comes at you with a knife, you don't have a lotta choices.

'Cause when you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way, from your first cigarette to your last dying day.
PBTHHHHT
sorry to bring this back up, but it was mentioned again on boingboing, it's a site for some funky tech and art.

Anyway, Britain seems to have all these problems with knives and well, the wasp injector really didn't appeal to the authorities. But what's about the link is that it has a video of the knife at work on watermelons. biggrin.gif
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/21/brita...-alert-for.html
sunnyside
I'm really dubious as to what that knife can actually do. I wouldn't be so surprised if the cold just stopped the bleeding.

And you have to hold the blade in for a bit (and pushing a button).
Flatliner
boingboing is a great site.

Why use a knife when you can use a spur? cyber.gif

Today it seems like a tool looking for a job, but in SR it might have a place. Control isn't a problem in SR, with the DNI cyberware and "smart" weapons. The burst might give it some flexibility as a way to spray a target with chemical badness who stands just out of reach.

Frozen tissue is dead tissue, but I don't know if that's any more traumatic than blood loss. The rapidly expanding volume of fluid pushing into the body would probably be more damaging than the cold anyway.

I'm curious how much punch the burst has, or could potentially have. What would it do on a non-penetrating attack, if the blade hit armor?
Lagomorph
I remember doing some math on the amount of CO2 in the knife, i think it turned out to be a few or several (between 2 and 8 IIRC) liters at standard pressure. And from the videos, looks like it discharges most of it with in 2 seconds.

Honestly, I think it's just going do some damage, but mostly make fart sounds (or bubbles) come from a stab wound..
hyzmarca
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Jul 22 2008, 12:35 AM) *
sorry to bring this back up, but it was mentioned again on boingboing, it's a site for some funky tech and art.

Anyway, Britain seems to have all these problems with knives and well, the wasp injector really didn't appeal to the authorities. But what's about the link is that it has a video of the knife at work on watermelons. biggrin.gif
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/21/brita...-alert-for.html

I very much doubt that any self-respecting street thug, would use any knife that is simultaneously so expensive and so blatantly homoerotic, even if said thug were British. Except, maybe, a homosexual theme gang - perhaps the Pink Panthers, a bunch of hairy heavily-armed bikers who ride around in pink leather chaps and nothing else.

Stabbing a dude is already an extremely homoerotic act. Adding an explosive orgasm to the end just takes the metaphor way too far. I'm sure this fact won't be lost upon homophobic British street toughs.
Cyntax
Clearly someone gets something more out of Stabity Death than the average black mage.
nezumi
I just wonder if he lights up a fag... err... ciggie after.
HeavyMetalYeti
I’m not sure about the cold effects but the fact that there is an input of a large volume of air would be very damaging. Some RL professional skinners use needles hooked up to air compressors to separate the hide from the carcass. In SR, why couldn’t you have cyberspurs hooked up to a small pneumatic pump with a small reservoir that discharges on command. Not only do you stick the fragger but you collapse his lungs or blow his abdomen up like a balloon. I don’t think there will be much fight left in him after that.
nezumi
Collapsing his lungs would kill him, but it requires you hit his lungs first (so a called shot, and honestly, if you get spurs into the fellow's lungs, they're already filling with blood, so it's sort of academic).

I don't believe getting a balloon of air under the skin will seriously kill someone in the time span we're talking about. It'll look gross and it'll be pretty distracting, but from a simple mechanics view-point, it wouldn't decrease his combat effectiveness any more than, well, putting a set of spurs into him.
Backgammon
I just had a vision of the injector knife with so much air pressure that you stab someone, push the button, and then they go flying in the air 50 feet. Now that's a weapon.
hobgoblin
heh, at that point, you could just stuff the tank in the persons pants and set it off...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012