Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guns Guns Guns
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
Greets,

I was looking through the firearm construction concepts, while a good night-time read I do have some issues with it.

Some of the modifications are great, others are what I would consider "what the hell?". The ability to put rockets on your gun and have it fly around like Megatron was one of the more dumber modifications.

So it made me think what's the best way to deal with firearm modification and accessories.

You can have one accessory for a pistol (under), you can have two accessories for long arms (includes submachineguns to machineguns) (under and over). Basically an accessory is anything that involves the use of a rail (and just assume that any longarm comes with a sling). You can also have extended magazines or then for belt fed designs ammunition boxes or belts.

Modifications are adding a stock, converting to using a folding stock, having a bipod, heavier barrel, and so on.

The point is to tidy up the rules and make it faster and easier to use.

Has anyone RL experience in modification and accessorizing their weapons? What would be a good rule of thumb to deal with all of this?

-Chrysalis

Wounded Ronin
The guns rules aren't for anyone.

Raygun est l'homme qui sauva notre monde.
Chrysalis
More like everyone.

Raygun may not be the man who saves our world.

-Chrysalis
hermit
Oh yeah, the VTOL gun ... I also like the crawly feet mod for guns. those little crawly feet that make the gun crawl must make it awfully awkward to handle.

Besides, who is the floaty-gun and the crawly-gun gonna handle recoil? in both cases, it would propably make either a very bouncy gun and send it off to god knows where ... very useful in a battle.

I also ha da good laugh at the gun commlink, before I read up what a courier sprite can turn a weapon into (Basically, add 2/3 of it'S rating in dice to the gun, on statistic average. Weapon foci for everyone! Put a commlink into your gun and have your friendly neighbourhood mancer put a courier sprite in there that diagnoses the sword. Bad news for the Talismongers Association of America: they're out of business).

The personal safety chip and a skin link mod are a must for any modded weapon, though. You don't want to make your friendly neighbourhood mancer make your crawly/floaty gun sneap up on you and shoot you dead, after all ...
dog_xinu
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jun 18 2008, 04:07 AM) *
Greets,

I was looking through the firearm construction concepts, while a good night-time read I do have some issues with it.

Some of the modifications are great, others are what I would consider "what the hell?". The ability to put rockets on your gun and have it fly around like Megatron was one of the more dumber modifications.

So it made me think what's the best way to deal with firearm modification and accessories.

You can have one accessory for a pistol (under), you can have two accessories for long arms (includes submachineguns to machineguns) (under and over). Basically an accessory is anything that involves the use of a rail (and just assume that any longarm comes with a sling). You can also have extended magazines or then for belt fed designs ammunition boxes or belts.

Modifications are adding a stock, converting to using a folding stock, having a bipod, heavier barrel, and so on.

Has anyone RL experience in modification and accessorizing their weapons? What would be a good rule of thumb to deal with all of this?

-Chrysalis

If you dont like some of the more "sci/fi" type mods like the rockets that allow it to fly around, do allow them in your game (if you are the GM) or dont use them (if you are a player). I have moded a few guns to add "accessories" (I know that is the right term.. please dont shoot me...) to the gun.

I really havent dug way down in the bawls of the rules yet.

Dumori
lol. The jet trusted gun is silly but has use just not in combat. The drek i drop my gun problem now has said gun fly back in to your hands. But some of the other wacky ones make some logical sence and they are expensive.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jun 18 2008, 03:07 AM) *
Greets,

-Chrysalis

FYI there is a Game System for designing weapons called "Guns, Guns, Guns" and the next volume "More Guns" Nice system there is a conversion for SR3 available on the Web.

It will do from early gunpowder to Lasers and Fusion Weapons. More Guns has some nice examples too.

WMS
HeavyMetalYeti
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jun 18 2008, 04:07 AM) *

-Chrysalis

On the RL M4 with tactical rails, you can mount a flashlight on one side, a red laser on the other, a green laser underneath, an optical scope on top, a bayonet on the end or a flash suppresor or sound suppresor. That is not including the folding 6 position stock, extra mag pouch, combat sling, extendable foregrip w/ extra battery compartment and bipod. Makes it a bit heavy but more leathal. You can even get extra tactical slots added to the front sight if you need more light or what-have-you. The rule with two accessories per long gun should take into account if the weapon is customizable or not. You can't put tactical rails on a bolt action hunting rifle but you can on some RL pump shotguns.

That is my two cents worth.
HeavyMetalYeti
duplicate post ---------- sorry bout that
HeavyMetalYeti
triplicate post --------- fraggin company pc
Fuchs
We don't use those rules - my rule of thumb is that if it's possible in real life, it's possible in game, and if it isn't done in real life (or in movies), then it might not be a good (or fun) idea to begin with.
So, I don't really worry about how much "bling" people can add to guns, as long as the standard game balance (mainly recoil) is not too tampered with.
IQ Zero
Is this what a gun-phone would look like?
[img]http://manilatonight.com/uploads/monthly_06_2008/post-110040-1213863365.jpg[/img]

Darn, how the heck do I add a picture here?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (IQ Zero @ Jun 19 2008, 10:19 AM) *
http://manilatonight.com/uploads/monthly_0...-1213863365.jpg

in-post images are not allowed, so i turned it into a url for you wink.gif

(btw, should someone look into making that a automatic effect on img tags?)

hmm, i worry about the reliability of that gun...
masterofm
You also forgot about the bipod that can be mounted on the gun. If you have ever seen a tricked out gun you might then understand what people are capable of. I always thought the flying rocket gun was similar to pimping out your vehicle.
IQ Zero
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 19 2008, 04:21 PM) *
in-post images are not allowed, so i turned it into a url for you wink.gif

(btw, should someone look into making that a automatic effect on img tags?)

hmm, i worry about the reliability of that gun...
But it is cute, though I can't imagine talking while using the gun ... bluetooth maybe?
Velocity219e
QUOTE (IQ Zero @ Jun 19 2008, 09:19 AM) *
[img]http://manilatonight.com/uploads/monthly_06_2008/post-110040-1213863365.jpg[/img]

Darn, how the heck do I add a picture here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxIjkBVEtyE nyahnyah.gif
Ed_209a
I am not fond of the whole "modification points" business.

If you as a GM care enough about guns in your game to spend several hours reading Arsenal, it will be a great investment spending an hour or two reading about what people are doing with firearms today. Start with AR15 mods and go out from there.

Want a ceramic barrel? Fine. Call whoever owns Brownells in 2070 and order one. (Yeah, SINless, I know. Call your fixer...) You have someone remove the old barrel and install the new one and you are done. Want a ceramic, heavy barrel? Fine. Same thing, you just pay more.

hobgoblin
QUOTE (Velocity219e @ Jun 19 2008, 02:07 PM) *

its when seeing stuff like that i understand why people in the 30's or there about was carrying around a .22 in their suit pocket.

very small, but at close range should pack enough to be a convincing argument wink.gif
Wounded Ronin
I think I'd actually prefer a taser unit in a cellphone.
Chrysalis
For those of you who think Shadowrun's weapons are not so serious I bring you the ultimate gun.

The Taurus Multi-6M variant is a lighter more compact version, perfect for your son either when hunting rabbits or rabbis.

The revolver comes with an extended number of rounds, unique brightly colored surface with foregrip, a lanyard and a safe target system. It even comes with a commlink and weapon personality so you know where your child is at any point. Now your child can go on merry adventures with characters such as Elmer Fudd or TJ Lazer.

So either fighting gangers at school or just a playful game with stick-n-shock around the pool make your choice in personal protection for your child the Taurus Multi6-M!

Look out next year as the Taurus Multi-6FM. Our new flying monkey gun! Ammunition sold separately.

http://www.2shared.com/file/3464682/a3e992..._CA_190608.html
psychophipps
To make things a bit more akin to reality what with accessory rails being available for 10-50 nuyen.gif you could make:
Machine Pistols, pistols and revolvers have two slots.
SMGs and Rifles would have four slots available with any stock mod not taking up a slot.
All shotguns would have four slots.
Machineguns would have four slots as well with a bipod or stock not taking up a slot.
CanRay
I'm personally going to ignore the "Slots" bit on the Weaponry for the most part, and just make it harder and harder to conceal.
masterofm
Anyone herd of the OICW? I think you should get more then four slots for an assault rifle when it comes to putting mods on it, and I think the "making the gun more expensive" works in some parts, but I like the "really obvious tricked out gun" idea. For every mod you put on your gun it gives a +1 to perceive that there is a gun, and if it has mods or not.

Yes you can trick your rifle six ways to sundown, but then anyone with half a brain would see what you are sporting, and know it's a custom job.
CanRay
Exactly. And, if the Police/Security Force/Intelligence Agency has a file on you, they'd be able to recognise "Vera" (A Callahan FullBore Autolock Rifle) pretty darn quick!
psychophipps
QUOTE (masterofm @ Jun 19 2008, 02:44 PM) *
Anyone herd of the OICW? I think you should get more then four slots for an assault rifle when it comes to putting mods on it, and I think the "making the gun more expensive" works in some parts, but I like the "really obvious tricked out gun" idea. For every mod you put on your gun it gives a +1 to perceive that there is a gun, and if it has mods or not.

Yes you can trick your rifle six ways to sundown, but then anyone with half a brain would see what you are sporting, and know it's a custom job.

Well, there is a huge difference between slapping add-ons to your picatinny rails and having a firearm truly customized with match barrels, a trigger job, tuned extractor, etc. Any putz can slap a Surefire vertical grip flashlight under the fore end and an ACOG on the top of their off-the-shelf M4.

You think that "mall Ninja"-ism is bad now? Try the SR world where these street mercs actually get press and have an entire sub-culture around them. Every two-block bitch with a smartlinked Pred will think that they're some hard-nosed, bad-ass 'Runner.
masterofm
Upgrading internal parts was the part that is generally costly. Putting an internal smart link makes the gun cost quite a bit more. Slapping on one to the side of your gun costs nothing, but is easier to spot. Maybe I forgot to draw the distinction between the two.
WearzManySkins
I have found that if you using a lot of slots for various things, put the smartgun link on a mount, top or bottom, upgrade its cameras to the max, will conserve the slots for that weapon.

WMS
Drogos
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jun 20 2008, 08:51 AM) *
I have found that if you using a lot of slots for various things, put the smartgun link on a mount, top or bottom, upgrade its cameras to the max, will conserve the slots for that weapon.

WMS

...and any others you happen to switch the link to biggrin.gif
VagabondStar
The newer M16A4s and M4s have the Picatinny rail systems on them, so customizing with accessories is relatively easy. Typically how you kit out your weapon would depend on what you expect to have to deal with. In a Close Quarters Battle situation, you'd likely want some kind of a high powered flashlight, a reflex sight, and maybe an IR laser for use with Night Vision Devices. So the sight would go up on top of the upper receiver, the flashlight would either be on the side or the bottom (if it had a grip with it), and the laser would go on one of the sides.

The other big thing, when dealing with stuff like lasers, is that you have to zero them at a certain range (usually 100 to 200 meters, simulated). You then have to realize that inside or outside of that range, they will not be 100 percent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012