Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has Easter Island?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
is there anything official on this one? 2500 miles from Columbia and 2,000 miles from indonesia it is currently controled by, I think, Columbia .I learend in the late 1980's the US extended their runway to take the shuttle in case of emergency landings, so the strip can handle serious jets. this has led to a big boost in tourism in the late 20th early 21st century.

That owuld mean in SR it might be independant or controled by a corp or a nation. any of the above would make it an interesting spot to visit/base/run and the background count? oy!
CanRay
Let me guess, this might be part of the infamous "Shadows of Latin America"?
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jun 19 2008, 03:05 AM) *
Is there anything official on this one? 2,500 miles from Columbia and 2,000 miles from Indonesia it is currently controlled by, I think, Columbia.

Nope, a quick Internet search tells us that it is in fact owned by Chile who claimed the place in 1888 and who now administer it as a special territory. And since we've had canon references to Chile still being aroung and being a function country I'm guessing that they'd still control the place.

If you wanted to make things interesting if it did become magically significant you'd have researchers fairly interested on the place plus perhaps interest from the French from their military bases in Free Tahitian League of Polynesia or the Japanese from their stronghold in Peru (IIRC they actually had troops stationed there before the mega-quakle that totalled Japan) and the other local countries, although I don't really see anyone trying to annex the island. The ethnic Rapanuians seems to only make up half the population so I can't really see them making much of a job of trying for independence and the place is so small I don't it would be viable economically that I doubt any troublemakers could gather much cross-community support that they'd need.

At the end of the day I'll simply say it's probably covered in Shadows of Latin America. smile.gif
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Jun 18 2008, 08:43 PM) *
If you wanted to make things interesting if it did become magically significant you'd have researchers fairly interested on the place plus perhaps interest from the French from their military bases in Free Tahitian League of Polynesia or the Japanese from their stronghold in Peru (IIRC they actually had troops stationed there before the mega-quakle that totalled Japan) and the other local countries, although I don't really see anyone trying to annex the island. The ethnic Rapanuians seems to only make up half the population so I can't really see them making much of a job of trying for independence and the place is so small I don't it would be viable economically that I doubt any troublemakers could gather much cross-community support that they'd need.

All of that is true.

Now you've got a magical nexus that's a lure for the French, the Japanese, and the governing Chileans -- not to mention runners of all sorts. And it's a good thing runners are there: the native populace is locked in a standstill, being just this close to independence but needing some outside muscle. The Chileans, of course, also need some deniable runs on the independents. The Triad just loves the Civil War angle, as do they the "in between Asia, South America, and North America" angle.

Yeah, I think this is a viable place to run a game.
Caine Hazen
I own it now.. I picked it up off the Govt for cheap. I let them think they still have control, but we all know the truth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012