Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unwired Table of Contents
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Matsci
http://www.shadowrun4.com/resources/downlo...unwired_toc.pdf

So much cool stuff for hackers. everyone.
crizh
Agents.

Botnets.

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!
Earlydawn
Yeah, it's definitely crossed the border to cruelty.
crizh
Tacnets.

Mmmmm...
Earlydawn
Very excited to see a fairly extensive ASIST reprogramming chapter. Malware is also exciting, as is the Tacnet stuff.
crizh
Perhaps even proper rules about what can and cannot be an Autosoft.

Groovy.
Method
Sweet.

Did you guys notice the use of the term "Quality" under AIs? The sell sheet for Runner's Companion said it would include rules for AI PCs, but maybe they are in Unwired as well?
hobgoblin
could be that the rules in unwired will cover building AI prime runners, and then runner companion will extend that into PC realm.

looking at the TOC its like being in a candystore after dark. so many potential goodies...

and looking at page size, if all this was included in the BBB it would increase it by some 150 pages (depending on the amount of overlap). that would mean a 550 page tome...
hermit
Hunh. I wonder whether "homicidal, antisocial and just downright evil" will be one or three seperate AI qualities. They seem reasonably common with AI, anyway.

In other news, hackers get 48 pages, Technomancers 53 - I'm curious whether hackers will at least now have a meager chance of competing directly in any task with any mancer who uses threading and sprites. My money is on 'not', though.

TacNets. I guess this is battletac 2.0?
hobgoblin
more like they see humans as just another walking bag of chemicals, and therefor have just about as much value as a pet...

in other words, just look at how some people treat animals, and you see how ai's treat humans.

hell, one could claim that some people react to the idea of humans being animals because of this. guilt and superiority complex?

or maybe one should just look at how humans manage to treat other humans, ones they are "sure" that some group is inferior/superior to some other?
Malicant
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 21 2008, 11:44 AM) *
Hunh. I wonder whether "homicidal, antisocial and just downright evil" will be one or three seperate AI qualities. They seem reasonably common with AI, anyway.

Yes, because of the AIs we know about no one actually falls into any of those categories.
Dashifen
/me is still drooling.
hermit
QUOTE (malicant @ Jun 21 2008, 12:50 PM) *
Yes, because of the AIs we know about no one actually falls into any of those categories.

Deus wasn't homicidal, or Sojourner? Mirage was neutral towards people she didn't breeed herself. Morgane was a nice enough 'person', burt Megaira was deeply disturbed and, with the exception of the dodger, a rather nasty customer, too. Pulsar seems the only exception.

hazemyth
Ah, so this is how they'll keep the discussion today rolling...

Lots of new stuff. Very cool.

Looks like datahavens aren't being covered in detail, tho. I like the rules from the SR3 Matrix book. Maybe in Mr Johnson's Companion...
Malicant
Neither Deus nor Sojourner were or are homicidal. Maegara cannot be considered anything but "random", so she does not fall in any of the categories you mentioned. Your AI hatespeech is rather weak.

It's interesting, by the very definition an AI cannot be homicidal, even if it's sole purpose is to kill humans. biggrin.gif

edit: stupid typos of doom!
RunnerPaul
Alright, show of hands, who else here popped wood?
hermit
Neither Deus nor Sojourner were or are homocidal.It's interesting, by the very definition an AI cannot be homocidal, even if it's sole purpose is to kill humans.

That's why I wrote homicidal.

Also, since AI are considered a person in SR (like all non-human intelligences are), yes, they are capable of homicide according to Webster's.
Malicant
That was a typo on my part and not what I meant.
FrankTrollman
Someone needs to slap Sascha around and explain in great detail that "nexi" is not a word in any language. It really looks amateur hour to incorrectly pluralize words in your table of contents.

The correct plural is "nexuses." That's not Anglocentrism, though that would be completely appropriate given that the manuscript is published in English, but a simple fact. The plural of "nexus" is not "nexi" in English, it's not "nexi" in Latin, it's not "nexi" in Deutsch. It's just "nexus" and "nexuses" those are literally the only correct words for that concept.

-Frank
tech2.0
new lifestyle
Full Immersion

Now you can live the matrix movie

hello mr battery
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 21 2008, 09:06 AM) *
Someone needs to slap Sascha around and explain in great detail that "nexi" is not a word in any language. It really looks amateur hour to incorrectly pluralize words in your table of contents.

The correct plural is "nexuses." That's not Anglocentrism, though that would be completely appropriate given that the manuscript is published in English, but a simple fact. The plural of "nexus" is not "nexi" in English, it's not "nexi" in Latin, it's not "nexi" in Deutsch. It's just "nexus" and "nexuses" those are literally the only correct words for that concept.

-Frank

Actually Frank, if you really knew Latin, you would have correctly identified nexi as a declension of nexum, it is a commonly used term in law. Also the term started being misused in the mid 90s as a term for a grouping of SCSI connections "SCSI nexi". Although in most cases this has passed as incorrect from usage, i still hear it from time to time in the tech field. Remember, its language, which is constantly evolving and not bound by static rules that are immutable. Although the grammar nazis of the world will argue with me, common usage has before and will again trump academia in the end when a language evolves. You'll get over it.

Now, I need to consult my character sheet and see what I need to hock to get money for new toys...
Leofski
Fortunatly, I have empty echo slots on my character sheet in the hope that something good turns up.

But the new options look great, from tacnets to immersion lifestyle.
Angier
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Jun 21 2008, 04:15 PM) *
[...] Remember, its language, which is constantly evolving and not bound by static rules that are immutable. Although the grammar nazis of the world will argue with me, common usage has before and will again trump academia in the end when a language evolves. You'll get over it.[...]

Actually academics nowadays see the change and evolution of language as fact. Grammar nazis as those who oppose the change of language in corpus and grammar are the people who "don't know shit 'bout it".
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Angier @ Jun 21 2008, 10:29 AM) *
Actually academics nowadays see the change and evolution of language as fact. Grammar nazis as those who oppose the change of language in corpus and grammar are the people who "don't know shit 'bout it".

Exactly. I will defend people's rights to use the word "ain't" as interchangeable with "aren't" even though it is historically a contraction of "am not." Regional and dialectical differences are part of all language and English is so resilient because that's built in. We don't have an Academy Frances. And we're better off for it.

But when people over correct language in an effort to be "correct" and end up simultaneously failing to live up to the standards of usage and also failing to use the historically correct terminology - that's just retarded.

-Frank
Malicant
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Jun 21 2008, 04:15 PM) *
Actually Frank, if you really knew Latin, you would have correctly identified nexi as a declension of nexum, it is a commonly used term in law...

Actually, this is about the plural of nexus, not nexum, and that is were Latin gets weird and Frank is right about the plural not being nexi. To correct plural of nexus (the nexus Frank was talking about) in Latin according to my dictionairy would be nexus.

Ah, Latin, you can't love it, you can't hate it.
Blade
I don't get any relevant hits when searching for "Academy Frances" on the Internet, so I guess the words you're looking for are "Académie Française" if you want the historically correct terminology.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Blade @ Jun 21 2008, 11:13 AM) *
I don't get any relevant hits when searching for "Academy Frances" on the Internet, so I guess the words you're looking for are "Académie Française" if you want the historically correct terminology.

Making a point. That's a French name, so you can use French terminology for it if you want. Or you can translate it if you want. English allows both. It's a very liberal language, fucking it up takes effort.

-Frank
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (Malicant @ Jun 21 2008, 11:13 AM) *
Actually, this is about the plural of nexus, not nexum, and that is were Latin gets weird and Frank is right about the plural not being nexi. To correct plural of nexus (the nexus Frank was talking about) in Latin according to my dictionairy would be nexus.

Ah, Latin, you can't love it, you can't hate it.

oh yes, Frank is correct in his grammar lesson, I was more referencing
that "nexi" is not a word in any language

which it seems; it is. Thus the complete wrongness of said post.
Malicant
One wrong statement concerning an obscure case does not invalidate the complete post. At least it should not.
crizh
QUOTE (Malicant @ Jun 21 2008, 06:22 PM) *
One wrong statement concerning an obscure case does not invalidate the complete post. At least it should not.

Ruin all my fun, why don't you?
Mäx
The fact that it actually is a word doesn't invalidate Franks point becouse it's not used in the correct meaning.
CanRay
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 21 2008, 11:41 AM) *
Making a point. That's a French name, so you can use French terminology for it if you want. Or you can translate it if you want. English allows both. It's a very liberal language, fucking it up takes effort.

-Frank

Then explain to me why so many people on the Internet take the effort. nyahnyah.gif

1337 anyone? nyahnyah.gif
Synner
For the record, "nexi" is just the 2070's CompSci jargon we opted for to group hubs/mainframes/servers and is used both in the singular and the plural.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 21 2008, 03:04 PM) *
For the record, "nexi" is just the 2070's CompSci jargon we opted for to group hubs/mainframes/servers and is used both in the singular and the plural.

I wonder how many strippers in 2070 are named "Nexi."

I bet it's a lot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012