Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unwired for sale now
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Vairdic
Unwired is up for sale folks!

Check out the options here: http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/advance...amp;x=0&y=0
masterofm
Woot! Whoever buys it first how are the matrix rules?

Hey.... where's the hawt elf chick?
Naysayer
Huh.
There goes my Euros, I guess!
edit: downloading as I type this!
Muspellsheimr
I have it. Skimming it now.
Larsine
Got it.

Lars
Earlydawn
Love the cover art, HATE the font. Book thoughts as soon as the girlfriend gets home and I finally get my anniversary present. biggrin.gif
Earlydawn
Love the cover art, HATE the font. Book thoughts as soon as the girlfriend gets home and I finally get my anniversary present. biggrin.gif
Dashifen
And my wife is away all day tomorrow, too!! Adobe borked the download on me, but the second try worked fine.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jun 21 2008, 05:37 PM) *
Adobe borked the download on me, but the second try worked fine.

No kidding, I had the exact same happen to me.

EDIT: Nope, correction, it keeps failing on me. Gonna have to email support, can't download the dang thing.
Vairdic
Most PDF download issues can be solved by disabling the "View PDF in Web Browser" option. To do so, open up Acrobat Reader, go to the Preferences (usually on the Edit menu), go to the Internet section, and uncheck the "View PDF in Web Browser" option. (You'll need to restart your web browser for it to take effect.)

Already replied to your message Backgammon, but I thought I'd post this for everyone.
Dumori
Shame I don't like buying things online. Not that I don't trust your sever I just don't trust the in between space. To think if I had a card to let me buy online I'd have got it already. My banks a bitch but they have a good rate.
WearzManySkins
OK tried all the above download hangs at 90% second attempt.

Fix it please.

WMS
WearzManySkins
It took 4 tries before I was able to get it downloaded, it is broken fix it.

WMS
Faelan
Ditto. Four tries here too, hung up at various times, shut off my anti virus that seemed to help.
adamu
The book about the matrix cannot be sent over the matrix.

Just too ironic not to comment on.

Dead tree for me.
Vairdic
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jun 21 2008, 06:38 PM) *
It took 4 tries before I was able to get it downloaded, it is broken fix it.

Significant numbers of people have downloaded the files with no problems so far. Unfortunately, internet traffic, ISP problems, and user machines are things we can not control.

As always, if people need their download count extended, please email quartermaster@battlecorps.com and someone can get the count reset real easy for you!
Backgammon
As Vairdic suggested, I went in my Acrobat preferences and turned off all those "display in browser" options, and switched browsers, downloading it with IE insyead of Firefox. Worked perfectly, I now have my copy on my hardrive.

Thanks Vairdic!
Matsu Kurisu
Downloaded cleanly for me first time smile.gif
Now starting to read smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
CanRay
Mine came through with zero issues, first Download. (Accidentily tried it in IE, which opened up Adobe in my Browser, which I stopped Immediately, but counted as a Download. I saved the file via FireFox, and boom, it's mine!).

Waiting for the hardcopy now! biggrin.gif
DMFubar
No problems for my download either. Currently reading and printing it out (glad I came in to the office on a Saturday... high speed printers for the win!!!!)
Blade
Yeehaa! Got it!

I'll try to adapt SR4Light so that I can read it in the metro next week. smile.gif
Naysayer
Nice and clean, no nonsense download on the first attempt, using Firefox.
Never encountered any problems when buying other pdfs through battleshop, either.

Apparently lost ability to form regular english SPO-sentences, though...

BTW, for everyone having trouble with, or caused by, Acrobat Reader: If you can, get rid of this festering beast! I switched to PDX viewer, and it's much faster, much friendlier on my cpu, and generally nice and well behaved...
PBTHHHHT
downloaded. had to do it a second time, the first time it bonked on me after 15MB. I did the suggested changes to adobe and it worked like a charm.
Fabe
Sweet,and I just pre-ordered it from my FLGS. hopefully it'll get here real soon.
kanislatrans
Waiting impatiently for the wife to get home with the debit card. Hell of a time for her to go to her friends wedding!!! spin.gif spin.gif
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Vairdic @ Jun 21 2008, 06:08 PM) *
Significant numbers of people have downloaded the files with no problems so far. Unfortunately, internet traffic, ISP problems, and user machines are things we can not control.

As always, if people need their download count extended, please email quartermaster@battlecorps.com and someone can get the count reset real easy for you!

rotfl.gif Well Customer Service/Technical Support main function is to deal the exceptions, not the main stream.

How would you like if you called your phone company with a issue and they said no one else is complaining of that issue. Ip so facto the issue with you only. devil.gif

WMS
MYST1C
QUOTE (Naysayer @ Jun 22 2008, 02:18 AM) *
BTW, for everyone having trouble with, or caused by, Acrobat Reader: If you can, get rid of this festering beast! I switched to PDX viewer, and it's much faster, much friendlier on my cpu, and generally nice and well behaved...

Could you give as a download link for that program?

I don't like Adobe Reader but the alternatives I've tried so far (Foxit Reader, SumatraPDF, Evince) - while generally working well - have problems with some PDFs, among them all SR Previews (I haven't bought any of the full ebooks yet).
Most common seems to be some sort of layering error: Graphics, especially those tribal watermarks, are displayed on top of the text instead of in the background making the words unreadable (e.g. in SumatraPDF about 50% of the Unwired TOC preview PDF is unreadable as background graphics cover the text.)
Naysayer
This should work...
Never experienced any overlays or display-errors, either.
While googling for that link I found out that the program even gives you the option to make notes and annotations to your pdf... neat, I didn't know that (didn't need it, either, but good to have it, I guess...)

As for Unwired: I'm just about to enter the first chunk of crunchy bits, but I like what I've seen so far. The layout is nice and clear, and the artwork of generally high quality and thematically fitting. Looks like something that would look good in an old-fashioned, dead-tree version.
The introductory chapters read well and explained most of the wifi-world concepts in better detail than the BBB did, but I'm reserving my judgement here until I've seen them translated into easily accessible mechanics.
One minor quibble: I'm not totally sure that naming the chapter that tries to explain one of the most confusing and most often misunderstood sections of the main book "The Idiot's Guide to the Matrix" is sending the right message to the community... wink.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (Naysayer @ Jun 22 2008, 05:31 AM) *
This should work...
Never experienced any overlays or display-errors, either.
While googling for that link I found out that the program even gives you the option to make notes and annotations to your pdf... neat, I didn't know that (didn't need it, either, but good to have it, I guess...)

The annotations (for free and without watermarking!) that the PDF Exchange Viewer lets you do is a great way to note the errata in a book within your PDF until the updated PDF is released. And my wife uses it for notes on classroom slides, but clearly that's less important!!
Fuchs
Minor nitpick: Shadowrun uses metric, so the AR info in the car on page 3 should use km instead of miles, and celcius instead of fahreheit.
hobgoblin
my guess, all official data is in metric. but with the access of computer resources that one have, its simple for someone to do on the fly conversions.
Aaron
QUOTE (Naysayer @ Jun 22 2008, 04:31 AM) *
One minor quibble: I'm not totally sure that naming the chapter that tries to explain one of the most confusing and most often misunderstood sections of the main book "The Idiot's Guide to the Matrix" is sending the right message to the community... wink.gif

I think Rob came up with that title.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Jun 22 2008, 08:52 AM) *
Minor nitpick: Shadowrun uses metric, so the AR info in the car on page 3 should use km instead of miles, and celcius instead of fahreheit.

Could be that Fastjack -- or another old timer -- was the one driving the car. wink.gif
Fuchs
The rest of the world outside the US has been using metric since before Fastjack was born. Which raises the question: Did the UCAS go finally, finally metric when it was formed?
Carny
Got the book (had one hang when trying to access the download via web browser, but a direct download worked flawlessly)

Read the book

Love the book

MUCH Matrix goodness, and enough evil to give hackers and technomancers nightmares. Lots and lots of good material for runs.

I see the Moon Hawk option for putting stats into hacking tests and such is now a published official option. Good deal.

Well done, guys.

*Goes back for another, more focussed pass on the book*
knasser
Hah! And here I am on a Sunday afternoon reviewing a developer's revisions to a software project for my employers of the week. I'm not sure if Unwired is a break from this or not... biggrin.gif

Oh well, better have a look and see how out of date my Matrix supplements now are. I was kind of enjoying being the only one who could make the existing rules work well. wink.gif

EDIT: Ha ha! Page 39 - they used my house rule for capping hits by attribute! Actually, I had by program and someone else swapped it round to attribute (Owl somebody?). Oh well, I have at last contributed something to the game. smile.gif biggrin.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Jun 22 2008, 09:31 AM) *
Could be that Fastjack -- or another old timer -- was the one driving the car. wink.gif

Another alternative is that it's an Anti-Theft option.

Idiot car thief breaks into car, starts driving the speed limit of "50", wondering why the cops are after him for speeding. nyahnyah.gif

Hell, wait until he gets to the highway speeds of 120!
Synner
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 22 2008, 03:27 PM) *
I think Rob came up with that title.

Actually, that would be my fault as usual. I suggested it early on as a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the SR fan community and DSF in particular. The chapter title is in fact a reference to the name of a couple of Matrix walkthrough threads that were run on Dumpshock by myself and several other people to demystify the Matrix in SR3.
Naysayer
Just to clarify: I don't feel offended by the title, and I doubt that many others, if anyone, will.
I just found it kinda funny - hence the wink.gif in my post.

Oh, and the further I read, the more my appreciation of the book grows.
Makes me want to go out and GM dirty little hacker lone-wolf games... rawr!
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 22 2008, 05:27 PM) *
Actually, that would be my fault as usual. I suggested it early on as a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the SR fan community and DSF in particular. The chapter title is in fact a reference to the name of a couple of Matrix walkthrough threads that were run on Dumpshock by myself and several other people to demystify the Matrix in SR3.

could be worse, you could have called it matrix for dummies silly.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 22 2008, 09:27 AM) *

Woohoo!! I was wondering if it was deliberate or not. Those were the days smile.gif ..... NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!
i101
Got it! So far, so nice. Download worked like all other downloads on battlecorps without any problems. You guys have to 'right click and then save under', opening the file with adobe acrobat and then saving it aint that good - at least in my experience. Has to be an adobe problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012