Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to prevent technomancers from accessing the matrix...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Iota
Hey all!

Does a headjammer prevent a technomancer from accessing the matrix?
Velocity219e
QUOTE (Iota @ Jun 22 2008, 10:05 AM) *
Hey all!

I'm sure that Wifi inhibiting paint works, just coat em in that, or if you are feeling more humane a room or container wink.gif
MYST1C
QUOTE (Iota @ Jun 22 2008, 11:05 AM) *

No matter how they produce them (weird mutation, magic, whatever), Technomancers emit ordinary radio waves to connect to the Matrix. Anything that blocks radio waves will disable a TM's Matrix connection.
Velocity219e
Although I am pretty sure it heavily implies in the books that their entire body (well nervous system) is a wifi aerial so you really would need to put them in a room treated against signals or otherwise coat them head to toe in jamming goodies (if you wanted them out and about) I guess unconcious would work too.
Chrysalis
1 used bathtub cost: 120
20 doses of DMSO: 200
10 cans of Wireless Negating Paint: 1,200

Dunking the technomancer in DMSO enhanced wireless negating paint: Priceless.
Velocity219e
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jun 22 2008, 11:45 AM) *
1 used bathtub cost: 120
20 doses of DMSO: 200
10 cans of Wireless Negating Paint: 1,200

Dunking the technomancer in DMSO enhanced wireless negating paint: Priceless.

I suppose murder is an option yeah ... biggrin.gif

did make me laugh tho biggrin.gif
Dashifen
I had a game wherein the players duct taped a TM to a refrigerator with her head pointed to her left looking directly at the high rating directional jammer looking back at her. They turned it on and left, came back a few hours later, and the TM told them everything they needed to know....
hobgoblin
sounds a bit like pointing a low watt UV lamp on a vampire wink.gif
CanRay
I suggest Kung-Fu. If the Technomancer is unconcious from repeated blows to the head, they're not likely to be able to do anything.
hobgoblin
just make sure its not the troll doing the fu nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 22 2008, 10:25 AM) *
just make sure its not the troll doing the fu nyahnyah.gif

If it's a Troll, just have him aim for the arms and legs. Unconcous due to shock should also work.
WearzManySkins
A Pulse Spell sustained, will prevent/block any wireless signals. Since a TM has no manufactured/processed devices there is no object resistance to overcome, but then normal resistance to that spell were be in effect.

WMS
Chrysalis
QUOTE (Velocity219e @ Jun 22 2008, 03:08 PM) *
I suppose murder is an option yeah ... biggrin.gif

did make me laugh tho biggrin.gif

If you want to murder him I recommend beating him to death with a roll of wireless negating wallpaper. It only costs 10 nuyen a roll.

-Chrysalis
Dashifen
And it's oddly poetic in a brutal sort of way.
CanRay
Nah, I got an even cheaper, and more ironic way!

Beat him to death with an old Cyberdeck. I doubt you'd even pay 10 nuyen.gif for that now!

Maybe pry Ancient History's Cyberdeck out from cold, dead hands. nyahnyah.gif
Aaron
Nice.
Chrysalis
i was actually thinking that it would be neat if in the future we could have rules for making nanites in which case I would make jammer nanites that could then be injected into Technomages. It's schadenfreuder at its best.
Velocity219e
WTB Fuchi Cyber VII. ^^

how about a doodah that floods the local area with wifi signals (preferably drowning out all the others (jammer stylee) but with entirely hardwired so you can't change anything, I'm pretty sure technomancers would latch onto those deprived of any other wireless interaction, and periodically your honeytrap floods the connected users with a powerful BTL effect, that makes them temporarily want more of the signal wink.gif

Hell once it detects a connected user through one pass of activity BTL action it could reduce its own range and force the technomancer thats hooked to follow its signal in biggrin.gif

feel free to blow my evil ploy out of the window.

Me? I need to water my room full of technomancers biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 22 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Nah, I got an even cheaper, and more ironic way!

Beat him to death with an old Cyberdeck.

...particularly if you use an old Allegiance Alpha grinbig.gif
Irian
Why don't you simply put the technomancer in a room/chest/locker/whatever that's coated with anti-wifi-paint?

Personally, I would allow a head-jammer to work with 1/2 of rating against technomancers - as long as nowhere is pointed out, what exactly is the sending part of their body.
CanRay
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jun 22 2008, 05:37 PM) *
...particularly if you use an old Allegiance Alpha grinbig.gif

There's insulting, and there's downright Pwnin' someone!
Vertaxis
Surround a room in chain link fencing and pass a charge through it. All four walls, ceiling, and floor. Instant Farraday cage jamming system.
Lebo77
QUOTE (Vertaxis @ Jun 22 2008, 08:54 PM) *
Surround a room in chain link fencing and pass a charge through it. All four walls, ceiling, and floor. Instant Farraday cage jamming system.

I could get technical here, but chain-link fencing has holes that are large enough to allow radio frequency (especially high-frequency RF like is used in data comms) to slip through. As for electrification, unless you were pumping RF electric energy into it (and effectively using it as a jammer antenna, a BAD jammer antenna) the electrification won't do you any good from a "keep the RF in" perspective. If it's to keep the technomancer from touching the cage, that could work fine.
CanRay
"I demand to see the Captain!" *Zap* "I demand to see the Captain!" *Zap*

"Has anyone told him we don't have a Captain."

"Time, and, again. He just keeps doing that."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012