Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Way of the Dragon Combo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Larme
In a previous thread, we went around and around about whether you can borrow infinite actions, or whether the word "available" means "available in the current combat turn." Finally someone asked the devs, and they said you can only borrow from within the same turn (except full defense, which contains an exception that lets you go one action into the next turn). This thread is not for re-hashing that argument, so I beg you, don't do that. And I'm too lazy to find that thread, you do it if you want proof nyahnyah.gif

So, those of us who initially said actions were unlimited had a problem to deal with: Finishing Move doesn't say that you only get one Finishing Move. You just use it after making any melee attack. If you read it literally, and borrowing was unlimited, then you could make a hundred, or a trillion finishing moves at the same time, and then be stuck without being able to act until, potentially, the end of time. The solution was to "interpret" finishing move to only allow one chained attack, which was reasonable. After all, the devs clearly did not mean for the maneuver to shatter space/time.

However, now that we've had the issue clarified, Finishing Move crops back up. You can no longer do infinite moves because you can never borrow more than four actions. So, chaining Finishing Move to itself is now balanced. Or is it? It seems pretty cool than a person with mediocre strength who could never kill anyone with one punch can attack and then do three finishing moves in a Bruce Lee style combo and knock an enemy out all at once. But then again, a troll exploiting this ability could kill someone with the first punch, and kill their corpse three more times. They could probably end up destroying a car in one action phase.

So. Does the language support it? Or if you're too lazy to open the book like me, is it right (for the sake of game balance and morality) to allow Finishing Move to chain to itself?
Dumori
I see no problem with it but I come from the land of "do as you please" so I don't often limit vage rules as long as its not agent smith/bloodzilar crazy I'll let it pass.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Larme @ Jun 26 2008, 09:07 PM) *
They could probably end up destroying a car in one action phase.
That was always my favorite part about Street Fighter II's single-player mode.

Or if you're too lazy to open the book like me, is right (for the sake of game balance and morality) to allow Finishing Move to chain to itself?
I'd allow it. Regular unarmed attacks do stun damage. And if the character spent buildpoints/karma/nuyen on some means of doing something other than stun damage such as adept powers, bone lacing, martial arts, or by running at you with a pointed stick, I can only assume that they, at some point want to get a return on their investment and be able to deal some damage, perhaps even a dramatic amount of it.
Shiloh
QUOTE (Larme @ Jun 27 2008, 02:07 AM) *
...the devs, ...they said you can only borrow from within the same turn (except full defense...

Does this imply that you also can't tag a finishing move to your last IP of a round, so someone with one IP can't use 'em at all?
Ryu
QUOTE (Shiloh @ Jun 27 2008, 01:22 PM) *
Does this imply that you also can't tag a finishing move to your last IP of a round, so someone with one IP can't use 'em at all?

Said someone can still use edge to gain a second IP, but he will want to do that only for a finishing move that deserves its name.
hobgoblin
and the counter to this? a panther round to the chest...
Ryu
Finishing move requires that you were successful in striking the target - you need a net hit.

From the wording chaining it to itself seems possible. I see no balance issues, because you still are a sitting duck if you fail, and because you have to be able to kill your target in close combat in the first place.
Daier Mune
(checking the rulebook) uh, yeah, you can do that. the manuver doesn't say anything against it. you just have to have available actions.
Larme
eek.gif eek.gif A post which generates no controversy? I knew it, I've slipped into bizzaro world!

Still, this makes Finishing Move almost obligatory. One thing a martial artist doesn't want is to be shot in the face while attacking someone, so if his first attacks fails to knock out, he's got no reason not to try a second, and a third... Because you can full defense into the next turn, there's rarely a reason not to fininsh someone with all your IP's at once.

But then again, if you need all your IPs at once, maybe you should hang up your boxing gloves, because you are an awful melee fighter. In the end, if you can't knock someone out/break someone's neck with one hit, you're not strong enough to survive as a pugilist in a firearms-based world. So really, Finishing Move is little more than a crutch for the weak, a cool cinematic ability, and a move that's good against really tough boss type NPCs.
hobgoblin
hmm, as i think about it, this would be the perfect opening salvo for carromeleg, that elven "art"...

+2 surprise, and a 4 hit finishing move nyahnyah.gif
Ryu
QUOTE (Larme @ Jun 27 2008, 03:41 PM) *
eek.gif eek.gif A post which generates no controversy? I knew it, I've slipped into bizzaro world!

Still, this makes Finishing Move almost obligatory. One thing a martial artist doesn't want is to be shot in the face while attacking someone, so if his first attacks fails to knock out, he's got no reason not to try a second, and a third... Because you can full defense into the next turn, there's rarely a reason not to fininsh someone with all your IP's at once.

But then again, if you need all your IPs at once, maybe you should hang up your boxing gloves, because you are an awful melee fighter. In the end, if you can't knock someone out/break someone's neck with one hit, you're not strong enough to survive as a pugilist in a firearms-based world. So really, Finishing Move is little more than a crutch for the weak, a cool cinematic ability, and a move that's good against really tough boss type NPCs.

Yeah, you´ve got it! nyahnyah.gif

Finishing move is really useful, but drawing two future IPs is dangerous. Your defense pool does not refresh anytime soon, and RIPPING Joe Guards hearth out will not make you friends. I think the higher end adepts will rarely need it, and the lower end mundanes should try something that might work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012