Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real life AR glasses (sort of)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
spica2501
Check it out:

http://www.myvu.com/index.html
Stahlseele
technically that's only a see through video-screen designed to let you watch movies, and maybe read emails or play a game, if it comes up . . no real AR there, because you would need an UMTS or other mobile internet connection and an environment which has internetcontent available per wireless lan only if you're in a proximity of some meters . . but otherwise, those things are still cool ^^
also: pity that the best model is not available as shades . .
WeaverMount
IMO $299 had better buy me a hell of a lot more pixels than 640x480.

I'm really excited about how close we are to mirror shades. I'm pretty sure these will be the first piece of actually cyber-punk tech I (and many others) actually get. Yes we totally have bitch'n cyber limbs, but ah, I"m not about to chop off my arm for some cool points.

Edit: It's not even the connectivity that keeps this from being AR. It could be used for really low-res AR. The issue is how the hell your computer tracks what your eyes are actually looking at, keeping up with that motion, real-time masking objects moving in front of and behind objects.
spica2501
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 28 2008, 02:37 PM) *
technically that's only a see through video-screen designed to let you watch movies, and maybe read emails or play a game, if it comes up . . no real AR there, because you would need an UMTS or other mobile internet connection and an environment which has internetcontent available per wireless lan only if you're in a proximity of some meters . . but otherwise, those things are still cool ^^
also: pity that the best model is not available as shades . .

That's why I said "sort of." True AR would require the images to be projected on our normal field of vision. Its still a step in the right direction.
shuya
something closer would be Singapore's Mixed Reality Lab's (what a great fraggin name that is too) "Human Pacman" system.

Human Pacman, based on the popular arcade Pacman from the 1980s, is a novel and entertaining game which seeks to bring about such association through stimulating multiple human senses and perception.It is a real-world-physical, social, and wide area mobile entertainment system that is built upon the concepts of ubiquitous computing, tangible human-computer interaction, and wide-area entertainment networks.

sound familiar? cyber.gif it's stuff like this that makes me appreciate sr4's wireless matrix so much. good science fiction isn't about the future, it's about the present.
tsuyoshikentsu
Well, MY question is: are thy iPhone compatible? Because if so, that's a pretty solid AR start.
WhiteWolf
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Jun 29 2008, 01:04 AM) *
Well, MY question is: are thy iPhone compatible? Because if so, that's a pretty solid AR start.

If I remember correctly I read an article a month or so ago stating they were making them iPhone compatible; it may have been iPod instead of iPhone.
tsuyoshikentsu
They're iPod right now, so that could go either way. iPhone would be HOT.
Blade
Actually it's pretty far from AR glasses since there is no transparency, so you can't have an AR overlay, you just have a screen in front of your eyes.
I guess you could try to add cameras on top of the glasses and use them as inputs for your mobile device which'll add the AR overlay and send it back to the glasses, but seeing the world through a 640*480 display should quickly get irritating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012