Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR in Borders!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
Ok just as good news. I weas in Borders Books today and SR 4th Ed was on the shelves. Ok this may not seem a big deal ,and I'm stikcing with 3rd ed BUT it does mean SR will be more acceassable to the casual shopper and so will hopefuull be maintained.
Kerris
Not to be argumentative, but I think Shadowrun will be maintained whether it's in Borders or not. We have a solid community, and there is a dedicated following for the game.

Which, of course, isn't to say it isn't great biggrin.gif
Nigel
Yeah, there's a copy in my local B&N as well. I think also Borders...not sure, because I don't go often.

There's also quite a few non-D&D games in B&N. It's surprising. Exalted, many WoD books, GURPS, Rifts, Traveller, Star Wars, and a few more.
Fabe
Interesting ,next time I'm in Chapters I'll have to check the gamming section to see if they have any thing other then the usual stuff from Wizards of the coast.
Adam
To the best of my knowledge we haven't managed to get into Chapters yet, but I'd wager the team that handles our mass-market sales is working on it.
CanRay
I've seen them at McNally Robinson, which is in a few Canadian cities, and one in New York.
JoelHalpern
I have repeatedly seen the SR BBB in Barnes and Noble.
I have sometimes seen it at Borders (I actually saw 3rd edition there more often than I have seen 4th.)
I have seen Augmentation at Books-a-Million.
Otherwise, I have only seen the books at the one local large specialty game shop. (They keep books shrink-wrapped. I even understand this, as I suppose a fair number of people will browse instead of buying. I browse to make sure I am happy buying, so the shrink-wrap is unfortunate. If I hadn't been able to browse Augmentation at Books-a-Million, I probably wouldn't have bought it. We did actually buy from the game shop though, because we try to support local independent retailers.)

Joel
Hocus Pocus
borders is where i got the 4the edtion core book and the magic book after that. Also where i got all the new novels. Since the storm there is only one other place that I know of that carries shadowrun stuff and their selection is liken unto borders so i just go there anyway. Was trying to get to it today coincindentally but couldn't make it. Maybe sometime thise week. The 4th makes it a shorten week this week.
Wesley Street
I picked up four copies of the BBB at Barnes and Noble during the FanPro-to-Catalyst license change. That was a hard sucker to track down as it was considered "out of print" at the time. I'm glad to hear it's back in the bookstores.
Jrayjoker
There is always a copy of the 4th ed BBB at the Barnes & Noble by my house. I am not sure if it is always the same one though wink.gif. The big issue for me is that they don't stock the splat books typically. My FLGS is very far away since I moved frown.gif.
Snow_Fox
I've bought the novels at Borders but never the rule books or modules before, that is what give me a lot of hope ofr future gaming. she we have a community before BUT to expand beyond the converted-and the people who look for a forum on a game are pretty hard core in their interest-but just sitting on the hself gives us a better hcance of expanding the market
WhiteWolf
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Jun 30 2008, 08:55 AM) *
There is always a copy of the 4th ed BBB at the Barnes & Noble by my house. I am not sure if it is always the same one though wink.gif. The big issue for me is that they don't stock the splat books typically. My FLGS is very far away since I moved frown.gif.

Take a pencil and make a tiny, light mark on the inside cover! biggrin.gif Or you could take a small sticker and paste it on the back cover. smile.gif
Ooorr... you could buy it and see if they replace it with another one. spin.gif + wobble.gif = twirl.gif
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (WhiteWolf @ Jul 4 2008, 03:04 AM) *
Take a pencil and make a tiny, light mark on the inside cover! biggrin.gif Or you could take a small sticker and paste it on the back cover. smile.gif
Ooorr... you could buy it and see if they replace it with another one. spin.gif + wobble.gif = twirl.gif

I have that kind of attention to detail? lol
cryptoknight
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ Jun 29 2008, 06:20 PM) *
I have repeatedly seen the SR BBB in Barnes and Noble.
I have sometimes seen it at Borders (I actually saw 3rd edition there more often than I have seen 4th.)
I have seen Augmentation at Books-a-Million.
Otherwise, I have only seen the books at the one local large specialty game shop. (They keep books shrink-wrapped. I even understand this, as I suppose a fair number of people will browse instead of buying. I browse to make sure I am happy buying, so the shrink-wrap is unfortunate. If I hadn't been able to browse Augmentation at Books-a-Million, I probably wouldn't have bought it. We did actually buy from the game shop though, because we try to support local independent retailers.)

Joel

I love B&N for it too... local game shops tend to stock 1 copy... This last xmas I went to Borders and bought two... and then to B&N and bought 3 more. Which let my whole group each have one for their xmas present... saves wear and tear on my one copy. smile.gif
Zhan Shi
I've only seen the SR BBB at Borders, never any of the sourcebooks; I've only seen those in dedictaed RPG stores. However, their out of print book service is a wonderful resource for finding old RPGs, Shadowrun or not. I've often come up short on web searches, then found a seller at Borders in about five seconds. They're also a goos starting point for hard to find novels. Several years ago, I was looking for the "lost" Earthdawn novel Scars. I had no luck whatsoever...until I walked through the doors of my local Borders store. Maybe it's more easily found today.
HeavyMetalYeti
Has anyone seen ANY SR at Hastings Books and Music? The local store doesn't even have any on file. frown.gif
Faelan
Well from being surprised once upon a time by a very well stocked Borders, which had quite the RPG selection I asked some questions. Apparently Borders and Barnes and Noble store managers have some latitude in their purchasing and merchandising. In this particular instance the manager was an enthusiastic gaming fiend and decided to take appropriate measures. So it may not be reflective of Borders as a whole, rather a reflection of that store.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Faelan @ Jul 8 2008, 12:25 PM) *
Well from being surprised once upon a time by a very well stocked Borders, which had quite the RPG selection I asked some questions. Apparently Borders and Barnes and Noble store managers have some latitude in their purchasing and merchandising. In this particular instance the manager was an enthusiastic gaming fiend and decided to take appropriate measures. So it may not be reflective of Borders as a whole, rather a reflection of that store.

That is both interesting and informative. I will keep that in mind as I chose which chain and location I frequent. Gotta support the playas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012