Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A question about Hacking.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grayson7
First of all, I do not know a lot about computers aside from turning them on and off and doing the very basics (e.g cleaning out files, defragging the hard drive, making backups, etc.). Second, I did read the Matrix rules (twice) and I did a search but I am still confused. Now, for my question: why is it that when a hacker hacks something, he has to be within the Signal range of either his commlink or whatever he is hacking, whichever is smaller? I don't have a problem with the rule; I just don't understand it. Don't people in the real world hack into stuff all the time without being anywhere nearby. I understand the mechanics (at least to a point) but I don't understand the premise. Can someone please explain it to me in "for idiot" terms?

Also, I understand that a commlink can only have one active Persona at a time (one active user?); however, can the commlink have multiple Personas available to switch on and off. Basically, can a person have two distinct identities on a single commlink kinda like how a computer today can have more than one user. For example, John Smith is a shadowrunner with a commlink. John Smith however is a fake identity. He uses John Smith to do all of the legit things that you need a SIN for (e.g. getting an apartment, a plane ticket, etc.); however, at night, he becomes Mad Matthew the bad ass street samurai. Can he use the same commlink but have totally different information on it (he switches back and forth) such that no one has any idea that he is also John Smith when he is in active mode as Mad Matthew?

Lastly, hidden mode confuses the hell out of me. Sorry, but like I said, I know very little about computers. I read in the Matrix rules that there are some places where you are required to be in active mode. If you are hidden, how would someone even know it? What exactly is seen/detected when a person is in hidden mode?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Grimagor
I'll try my best,

QUOTE (Grayson7 @ Jun 30 2008, 07:31 AM) *
First of all, I do not know a lot about computers aside from turning them on and off and doing the very basics (e.g cleaning out files, defragging the hard drive, making backups, etc.). Second, I did read the Matrix rules (twice) and I did a search but I am still confused. Now, for my question: why is it that when a hacker hacks something, he has to be within the Signal range of either his commlink or whatever he is hacking, whichever is smaller? I don't have a problem with the rule; I just don't understand it. Don't people in the real world hack into stuff all the time without being anywhere nearby. I understand the mechanics (at least to a point) but I don't understand the premise. Can someone please explain it to me in "for idiot" terms?

In the real world we have a wired "Matrix", we have wireless modesm but they are conect to the wired net.
In Shadowrun 1, 2 and 3 edition, the Matrix was wired so a decker can made his work in home (but don't if you must acces to a close node)
In Shadowrun 4 the Matrix is wireless, that's the diference.

Also, I understand that a commlink can only have one active Persona at a time (one active user?); however, can the commlink have multiple Personas available to switch on and off. Basically, can a person have two distinct identities on a single commlink kinda like how a computer today can have more than one user. For example, John Smith is a shadowrunner with a commlink. John Smith however is a fake identity. He uses John Smith to do all of the legit things that you need a SIN for (e.g. getting an apartment, a plane ticket, etc.); however, at night, he becomes Mad Matthew the bad ass street samurai. Can he use the same commlink but have totally different information on it (he switches back and forth) such that no one has any idea that he is also John Smith when he is in active mode as Mad Matthew?

John Smith can use any commlink, but if he use John Smith SIN he always will be John Smith, but if John Smith use Mad Matthew SIN in any commlink he will be Mad Matthew, that's simple.
The Commlink is the vessel, the SIN is inside's stuff.

Lastly, hidden mode confuses the hell out of me. Sorry, but like I said, I know very little about computers. I read in the Matrix rules that there are some places where you are required to be in active mode. If you are hidden, how would someone even know it? What exactly is seen/detected when a person is in hidden mode?

Imagine that you are in a party with lot of people. Everybody can talk to everybody but you don't wanna talk to anybody so you decide taking some food and drink and find a hidden place to be alone.
And now imagine that this party was the President's aniversari. What will think security if see someone who try to hiddin with something inside his cloak?

The same happen in most publics space, if you enter in hidden mode it's because you have something to hide, and that's will think the security Ops.
raggedhalo
1. The Matrix does not work like the Internet. To hack a node, you need to be within range of its Signal (so you can hear what it has to say) and it needs to be within range of your Signal (so it can hear what you have to say). You could also hack into it via the Matrix, but you may find yourself needing to hack a couple other nodes to get to your target.

2. You can use your Fake SINs in this way, each with a different commcode. Your commlink's Access ID remains the same and therefore a bit of diligent work by Lone Star can crack open your secret identity very quickly.

3. Because you're the only guy on the street who doesn't have their commlink in Active mode; they can't read your Facebook profile just by looking at you. It's conspicuous by its absence.
Grayson7
First, thanks for taking the time to reply; I appreciate it. Your responses really helped. Basically, if security is looking at a person in hidden mode, he is seeing "nothing," which in itself reveals he is hidden. Got it.

As for the hacking, the hacker must be within both the Signal range of his commlink and that of the node he is hacking because he is actually doing it (the hacking) outside of the matrix, kinda like how my computer at the hotel I work at is networked to the computer in my bosses office even though we don't have internet access (done by physical wires). The hacker is establishing a direct connection outside of the matrix itself. However, if he wanted to hack from a distance via the matrix, he could but he would have to hack a series of nodes (probably well-protected ones) between him and his target one at a time. Correct?

John Smith and Mad Matthew can both be on the same commlink with completely separate identities that he can switch back and forth; however, the Access ID will be the same for the commlink so if that is revealed then basically he is busted. Correct?

I think I got it. Thanks guys.

raggedhalo
Correct!

The only thing I'd say is that to get to your target node via the Matrix you might not have to hack your way there, but you might. Depends on the layout of the local Matrix, and how your target node is set up. And how evil your GM is feeling biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012