Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How safe are datajacks?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
Greets,

I was thinking on how well insulated datajacks are. What would happen if you decide to run unadulterated power from the mains into a datajack?

Of course datajacks are so 2060s what about cyberware?

I also had a question, can you hack a medkit to fibrilate a perfectly healthy person? And then reset the system so you can defib them?
CanRay
Well, seeing as Datajacks are supposed to mate with a Fiber Optic cable (Which shoots out beams of light, not electrical impulses!), they probably don't have much resistance to direct current.

Other cyberware probably has the same resistance to that of an equivilent metahuman body. Why bother paying for more grounding than you'd need? Of course, you can get custom-made stuff. I'm sure the Electrical Pole Climbers love their Rubber-Skined Cyberarms!

And I'd say you could hack a MedKit to do that, but it'd probably void the warrentee, and might start squealing that it's been tampered with when it connects and tries to download software updates.
psychophipps
Actually, fiber optic has great electrical insulating properties. Glass makes a lousy conductor and the plastic sheath makes even a worse one. You would melt the cable through well before the current could get to them.

And giving someone healthy the juice with a correctly applied DeFib machine is a good way to get them dead. Hell, they're only so effective even if you're dying.
Sir_Psycho
I'd just call it a called shot of electrical damage. The effect would either be increased damage, or disabling the datajack until repaired (cheap nasty jackstopper?).

If you really want to hurt some-one with a datajack, then I'd suggest some needle-nose pliers, a strong grip and a distinct lack of anaesthetic and a gentle touch. Profitable too.
kzt
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Jul 2 2008, 08:05 AM) *
And giving someone healthy the juice with a correctly applied DeFib machine is a good way to get them dead. Hell, they're only so effective even if you're dying.

The way they work is they stop your heart and rely on the hearts inherent properties to restart with the right rhythm. It often works. Sometimes you end up in asystole.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (kzt @ Jul 2 2008, 01:22 PM) *
The way they work is they stop your heart and rely on the hearts inherent properties to restart with the right rhythm. It often works. Sometimes you end up in asystole.

Correction...The electrical charge causes all of the cardiac muscles to "contract" simultaneously, once "uncontracted" the hope is the correct "firing" sequence will establish it self via the various nerve plexi Bundle of His etc. The heart is not stopped that usually occurs during open heart once attached to a Heart Lung Machine.

WMS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012