Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you actually have 5 Initiative Passes Rigging a Drone?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jonny Reload
Normally when in Hot Sim, you get +2 Initiative Passes, and with the Simsense Booster Cyberware, you get +1 IP. But now with Unwired coming out and Simsense Accelerator Mod's listed in the book stating your Matrix Initiative Passes can go up to 5 (saying it's an exception to the normal max of 4 IP's) can you actually go up to 5 IP's when Rigging a Drone?

And as a side question, I've seen people saying you need a Sensor Lock on a target before you shoot on them, is that only for Drone Pilot's or is that for Riggers as well who are jumped in?
Ryu
There is no rule forbidding the 5th action while rigging. So yes, you can have 5 IPs with a drone/while jumped in. Consider to combine this with the "more than metahuman" quality.

Drones need to have perceived the target, as do riggers. That sensor test does not provide a bonus, but is free.
Active target aquisition costs a simple action, but comes with a bonus thats useable until the sensor lock is brocken.

At the high end, drones use Response 6 for Pilot 6 + Targeting 4 + smartlink 2 = 12 dice for attacks, quite enough to make do without target aquisition. You will still want to have the sensor-based options for adverse conditions, as sensor-based targeting has a flat -3 against metahumans. No fog, no darkness...
DireRadiant
There the difference between your IP, and the number the drone gets. For example, you could be cold sim VR and be jumped in, the rigger gets two passes, even though the drone has 3 normally. You could get where rigger acts 2 and the drone once for itself, in the right circumstances.

Now with the new gear if you get 5 IP are you asking if the drone can now act 5 times as well? Unless Unwired says otherwise, I'd tend to think the drone only goes with 3 ip, unless there's a way to get drones on their own to have more IP.
masterofm
Even if you get 5 IPs the difference is you still need to spend one complex action (basically 1 IP) to pilot the drone or vehicle. You might have 5 IPs but it's really the same as having 4 when you get down to brass tax.
Jonny Reload
QUOTE (masterofm @ Jul 3 2008, 02:15 AM) *
Even if you get 5 IPs the difference is you still need to spend one complex action (basically 1 IP) to pilot the drone or vehicle. You might have 5 IPs but it's really the same as having 4 when you get down to brass tax.

Well, once your Drone is Stationary, it's a different story, you just spend all your complex actions towards Shooting at Targets....

Although I was going to ask when your jumped in, do you fire weapons as Simple Actions or is it still a Complex Action but I guess my Question was answered
masterofm
When you fire it's simple. When you pilot it's complex.
Jonny Reload
QUOTE (masterofm @ Jul 3 2008, 03:20 AM) *
When you fire it's simple. When you pilot it's complex.

Is there any spot in the rules (or an errata) that clears this up, because as you can see from the thread, some people believe it's always Complex
Drogos
RAW also says it's a Complex Action, see pages 138 and 162 in the BBB.
Ryu
QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Jul 3 2008, 04:23 AM) *
Is there any spot in the rules (or an errata) that clears this up, because as you can see from the thread, some people believe it's always Complex

The section on vehicle-mounted weapons says that firing such weapons is usually a complex action, depending on the firing mode of the weapon system. The list of rigging actions only has the complex option.

We use the type of action used for manual firing, as the incentives for autofire are a bit to large if you are forced to spend a complex action anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012