Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: robotic riggers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Joker9125
How much would a robot with an intelligence equal to or superior to that of your average human cost? And also would it be possible to have a robot as a rigger? I dont see how it wouldnt be but you never know.
Herald of Verjigorm
6250 DP for maxed out robotic programming
300 DP for maxed reflexes (+3 dice)
3125 DP to give the largest "Adaption Pool" possible
5000 DP to max out comprehension

Except for the reflexes, each option is dependant on the rating of robotic programming, as listed you get the following:
5 piloting dice (large range of use, used like a skill IIRC)
something +4D6 initiative
10 Adaption Pool dice, used like any other pool but for everything the robot can need to do
10 extra dice for comprehension tests (don't know how often this is needed)

The cost of such a purchase ranges from 366,875 nuyen.gif to 8,805,000 nuyen.gif depending on the chassis. (note: cost is only for the robotics; chassis, engine, and other peripherals not included)

You can cut back, but this is "smarter than most PCs" level.

Thanks to Aramus, for reminding me that those are Design Points.
Joker9125
Could you please tell which source book you got this information from? And also I know this is probably a really stupid question but what does BP stand for? Thanks this info really helps.
Aramus
That's not Build Points ?
Cray74
QUOTE (Joker9125)
Could you please tell which source book you got this information from?

It's from Rigger 3.
Camouflage
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Dec 17 2003, 06:41 AM)
The cost of such a purchase ranges from 366,875  nuyen.gif  to 8,805,000  nuyen.gif depending on the chassis.  (note: cost is only for the robotics; chassis, engine, and other peripherals not included)

Am I the only one to consider that flawed? I think autonav/pilot/robot-ratings should have fixed costs and not depend on the chassis' mark-up factor
kevyn668
so for under 10m you could build a "better than human" robot? Is that cost? Would a corp get a discount for mass production after the prototype? Hmmmm.... vegm.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Those are just the costs for the robotic design, it can go up to make it integrate perfectly with a tactical systems (battletac I think) and will go up when you include the actual chassis, engine, armor, guns, long range communications so it can command a horde of simple drones, etc.
Corywn
QUOTE (Camouflage)
Am I the only one to consider that flawed? I think autonav/pilot/robot-ratings should have fixed costs and not depend on the chassis' mark-up factor

Well to an extent it makes sense...

Design a robotic pilot to drive a taxi around the city without any supervision, relatively cheap.

Design a robotic pilot to maneuver a fighter jet in combat situations, much more complex and expensive.
Fahr
Maybe I read it differently, but that would only be for ONE vehicle, right, I don't think it could Rig other vehicles, each drone would need it's own robotic brain, they could co-ordinate with battletac or something similar, but the Robot brains are Chasis specific, because, like it was mentioned before, a robot taxi, would be a lot different than a robot fighter jet.

Plus, most robots are designed with a set task in mind (drive people from one place to another, shoot down un-authorized aircraft) , these are not AI after all, just smart programs, they may one day become AI, but at this point they are just tailored programs with large databases to draw from.

just my 2 nuyen.gif

_mike R.
Ol' Scratch
That's correct. Robotic pilots are just like other drone pilots; they only work with the vehicle they're a part of. I believe robotic pilots can control other drones, however, through a remote control deck.

In the Matrix, they're equivalent to an Agent whereas drones are equialent to a Smart-Frame. They both still need direction, but a Robot/Agent can more easily adapt to situations to fulfill its task (which need not be its Prime Directive) than a drone can.

Think of AMEE from Red Planet. She's a prime example of a robotic walker/anthroform drone.
Herald of Verjigorm
A drone's pilot rating is compared to the number of simple tasks it can consider at once, a rating 2 drone pilot can "drive us safely to the bar" and "watch for Lonestar vehicles" and will do fine if the jobs are easy. A robot pilot can handle much less specific instructions, "shoot anyone threatening us" and/or "alert us to any dangers."

None of them are hardcoded for a single use, but don't expect an autotaxi to have more than a level 1 drone pilot (techincally, all it needs is an autonav and sensors).
Moonstone Spider
Given that the Toyota MK Guyver robot has a rating 6 demolitions Autosoft, and that the EW autosoft lets a Robot conduct MIJI attacks on other riggers and manipulate a vehicle control deck, it stands to reason that a robot with vehicle autosofts and a built-in deck could rig other vehicles. Hmm, you could even make a new race for characters if you wanted to stretch things a lot by giving a drone-sized robot free will. Let's see, you'd have to give it a massive charisma penalty, maybe -3 since it won't even understand how metahumans think. And pretty much make it buy physical attributes for it's drone body rather than use attribute points. Maybe make it incapable of earning karma at all and force it to buy software upgrades for it's mental attributes as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012