Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Real Game...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CanRay
Well, at long last, I finally ran Shadowrun, and can soon start participating in those "I was there in a game..." posts that happen here so often. biggrin.gif
Chrysalis
well don't leave us in suspence! Tell us all.
CanRay
OK, group is:

Kayun - Elf Bio-Ninja (All bioware, no cybernetics)
Conner - Human Cybernetic Muscle (Street Samurai, perhaps?)
Doctor McCoy - Dwarf Shadowrunning Street Doc and Parkour Master
(H!m3R@ - Hyperactive Gnome Hacker with insane Logic

OK, started out with the traditional "Get the group together for the first time". I cheated, Doctor McCoy was their "Family Doctor", so he vouched for everyone. Got through the "I don't trust any of these hoopholes" issue easily enough.

They met up at the Deli part of Sam's Surgery and Deli, where the Suprathyroid Equipped got a snack, and introductions were done. Rides were figured out (Only the Gnome didn't have a ride, so he got on the back of Kayun's Rice Rocket in exchange for half a Cornbeef on Rye), Conner on his beat-up Chopper, and Doctor McCoy on his Horseman PMV that had been modified to get up to highway speeds.

The meet was at the Big Rhino, which was known only as an Downtown Ork Restaurant. (Kayun in his Actioneer Business Clothing, "Hmmmmmmmmm, I might be overdressed.").

So, off they go down the highway. Where I threw the first surprise at them, two Trikes with big, BIG riders, everyone recognising the symbol of the Spikes on their Colours. After a few discussions, learning how the Wireless Matrix and some Cybernetics work, Doctor McCoy was able to diagnose one of them with "Horn Rot", an infection around the horn.

So, he drives up in his Horseman, jacks it up so he's standing, and rolls down the window to give some nice advice to the big Troll. Who takes offence, and throws his fist into the Horseman, cracking the window badly.

So, our first combat.

McCoy pulls back, and sticks his Camera out the window (His hobby skill is Independant Filmmaking), and the rest of the group goes into combat mode. Before the Troll can even react, his Engine (Kayun driving and shooting at the same time) and his Right Tire ((H!m3R@, holding onto Kayun's belt leaning over) is shot out (Rear-Mounted Engines), and Critically Glitches his driving roll to remain in control, swerves right and hits the concrete divider between the traffic lanes, and goes flying, just barely missing an on-coming Semi. ("Awwwwwwwwwww, damn.")

The other Spike doesn't hear or see anything behind him over his Ghetto Headphones blaring Trog Metal into his ears, and peels off down an offramp, later wondering where Fritz went.

So, thus, combat was learned.

They get downtown, find the Big Rhino, and see that the outside is about what's expected (Really well built), but the clientelle is very well dressed! It's a high-class establishment for the Goblinized Crowd now that Orxploitation has gone off. ("Maybe I'm not so overdressed after all.").

After parking four blocks away ("Downtown parking, you're lucky it was that close!"), they tell the Bouncer that they're with the Johnson Party and get shown right in, much to the very annoyance of everyone waiting in line to get in.

They meet the Johnson (Jon "Money" Johnson), who gives them two jobs and his spiel on how he does things. Job One: Find any info on $Diety, a new type of chip hitting the streets. 100¥ for a Dealer, 500¥ for a Supplier, 1000¥ for a storeage site, and 10,000¥ for the manufacturing centre. He also informs them that he's building teams for a major assault on these guys, and that they're not in competition, if two confirm the same info, then it's all good, both get paid.

Job Two: A prototype has been stolen, along with the plans for it. Information has come to light that it's being stored at a warehouse with minimal security ("Purloined Letter Security Approach"), but it's being moved on Friday with lots of security along with a load of food (REAL food! Not Soy!) so the security won't seem out of place. He gives a few details about the place, the fact that he doesn't know which safe it's held in ("The info we found is that there's eight of them. They just keep adding one when a new owner comes along." "What security on the safes?" "Well, the first one was put in when the place was built in 1950. And the last one was in the early 2060s."). The package will be removed on Friday at 1800 hours. It is now Tuesday, just before Midnight.

They accept the job with no negotiation of price. 25,000¥ for the team. Dinner is then served (Pasta in a light oil sauce, with centipedes lightly brazed in a Italian Rose Wine), some folks take extra in doggy bags, and they head back to the vehicles.

Where they find a trio of Halloweeners sitting on the Horseman with the cracked windshield, drinking. Threats are given, Intimidation rolls made and failed, when one of the 'Weenies decides to be a voice of reason, "Come on, brothers, these losers aren't worth our time.", and the trio head into an alleyway.

McCoy, getting an idea something is going down, once again pulls out his camera, pointing it at the alleyway while he gets into his alternate persona, "Gorilla Geurilla Journalist", by putting on a Gorilla mask.

They watch each other for a bit, then shrug and fire up the bikes. The 'Weenies fire up a pair of Molotovs and toss them at the group. A Critical Glitched Perception check on Conner's part just allows him to watch the flaming bottle as it comes straight at him and his Chopper, while Kayun pulls off, and watches the Molotov hit a cop car on the other side of the street.

Kayun goes off after the 'Weenies with his Munchkin Gunner behind him. Conner stop, drops, and rolls to no effect thanks to concrete. McCoy gets it all on video, lacking a fire extinguisher, and his armoured greatcoat being dwarf sized ("It'd be like trying to smother a fire with a facecloth!").

After losing the 'Weenies, McCoy remembers that everything is Wireless, and gets the Gnome Hacker to break into the local fire hydrant, and open it up. Conner rolls into the water, and puts himself out. His Chopper's petrol tank brews up nicely, and the ammo on his bike goes off harmlessly.

McCoy becomes the Doctor again, and performs an amazing feat of First Aid, and fixes Conner up nicely, but he's still going to need days to recover, but at least there'll be no scaring (Sprayskin and other items in MedKits are so wonderful to have!), when the Cops finally come out, and see their car on fire.

A bit of discussion later, the Cops see they're in an area where the cameras aren't working that well, and just don't want to have to handle anything as out of the ordinary as this, and figure they'll just make things up. They did get video evidence of the 'Weenies torching their car from McCoy, however, and thank him. Although they do wonder what the mask is about.

They contacted their contacts about $Diety, and have a good day's sleep.

Early afternoon, (H!m3R@ does some hacking around, finding out that the Warehouse has not been updated since before Crash 2.0, and his CommLink is useless against the Old Skool equipment, and he has to go out and get a CyberDeck (Which he gets cheap at a Pawn Shop), and then goes after the Security Company, getting in and checking out the Personel File on the Warehouse Security detail. Unfortunetly, a bad roll on his part and a lucky one on the system alerts the system which dumps IC, then White Hat Hackers into the system. He stops the IC, and finds that the file has been moved. The Hackers started getting onto him, so he left quickly. They were unable to trace him.

Late Afternoon, the group decides to get some revenge on the 'Weenies for what happened, and, after donning animal masks courtesy of McCoy, Narcojet a just waking up Halloweener, duct tape him, and throw him in the back of McCoy's secondary vehicle (GMC Bulldog!), all the while doing a rather bad parody of a "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom".

Taking him to an old Barber Shop, they interrogate him about $Diety, and find out that the Halloweeners had peddled a Briefcase of the stuff that they had gotten off some "Big-Hoop Elf Courier", and that he got the briefcase was gotten from the Bloody Razors gang.

Amazed at how quickly they got information on the first job, they call the Johnson, who they wake up. ("Never try to out-drink an Ork.") They fill him in while he's waking up and checking his daily items, and finds out that the Warehouse Job has been moved up to Thursday at 1800 hours due to a security concern. He informs them of such, and also that the lead in that direction is cold, but does pay them the 100¥ for finding a Dealer. It goes into a Bank Account in "Da Foist Bank A Tony" that the group decides will be a "Slush Fund" and will split the proceeds when it gets large enough. Mr. Johnson also boosts the pay for the second run another 5000¥, due to it now being "Rush", and pony's it up to the same bank account.

And that's where the game ended for the night.
Icephisherman
I'm going to be running my first game by fall. I've ran other systems like the D20 systems, GURPS, Warhammer Fantasy and such but none of it seems as complicated as with Shadowrun. So many thing to keep in mind at once when you have to juggle so many more elements like the matrix/astral/security/etc.

Any advice for first time GM's?
CanRay
The rules for Shadowrun are fast and lose for a reason. Keep them that way.
Faelan
The animal masks kicked ass. It certainly had me laughing my ass off. Sounds like it went pretty damn well, good luck.
CanRay
The Animal Masks are from this. Which, come to think of it, I have to remember to give him Karma for.

This is McCoy's hobby of Indy Filmmaking. He usually has a message to it as well.

Warning, it's longer than my write-up about the night, but just as interesting!
masterofm
*gives canray a cookie* Congrats for having your cherry busted. GMing in Shadowrun never goes the way you want it to both good and bad it seems like from my experience.
CanRay
Didn't expect them to find the Halloweener connection so quickly, that's for certain. Doubted they'd find it at all.

None have had the time to read my stories, which is part of the Metaplot for my campaign.

Which I've informed them.
CanRay
Correction, one of my players has, but he didn't do any metagaming.

Other than suggesting using a Narcojet Rifle and torture the guy rather than just outright killing him. All the other Players did the rest.
BookWyrm
*points to CanRay* One of us......one of us......one of us....
CanRay
And damn proud of it!
Ryu
Let me see if I get that right: The guys from the website are your group? Some impressive artistic talent you´ve got collected there. Plus you seem to be a cool GM.
Grayson7
QUOTE (Icephisherman @ Jul 5 2008, 10:05 AM) *
I'm going to be running my first game by fall. I've ran other systems like the D20 systems, GURPS, Warhammer Fantasy and such but none of it seems as complicated as with Shadowrun. So many thing to keep in mind at once when you have to juggle so many more elements like the matrix/astral/security/etc.

Any advice for first time GM's?

I agree with you completely. My campaign is three sessions old. It is a bit overwhelming. There is so much to keep up with and I don't even have a hacker in my group. I am thinking that it will get easier with time and practice (in theory).
CanRay
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jul 7 2008, 08:20 PM) *
Let me see if I get that right: The guys from the website are your group? Some impressive artistic talent you´ve got collected there. Plus you seem to be a cool GM.

I wish. No, the guys from my website had their own group that fell apart, and I picked up their website afterwards. I had written a few items for them before, and they said, "Here! Enjoy!"

Some of the Shadowtalkers on the website are from my group, and Able DuSable (A fellow author) is one of my Players. Guess which one!

And thanks for the compliment, I try!
Ryu
McCoy would be the logical guess - assuming you did not make writing about the campaign into a standard.
CanRay
Yeah, he's McCoy. Pretty easy to guess, the Gorilla thing gives it away. nyahnyah.gif

He's working on the next one, and a few other projects as well.
hermit
I've seen site's your banners being used by local groups for their own stuff already!

Yes, some artistic talent you have collected there. Pity their group imploded though. Your Run sounds fun, too. Will the adventures played be posted among your short stories or something?
CanRay
They'll be posted here, with news reports and the like on the website.

And the campaign is part of the metaplot going on with my stories. (The $Diety thing, which is also mentioned on the website.).

For an example of a news report, this is what happened at a Demo I ran at a local Sci-Fi/Fantasy Con.
CanRay
Second Part of the First Game: Enter the Warehouse of DOOM!

Well, the group had a plan of action against the Warehouse and it's security. However, the rush job pushed things up quickly.

First off, they asked Mr. Johnson if he had a line on an Ice Cream Truck. Surprisingly enough, he did, and got one for them. Completely stripped internally, right down to the metal. Not even a steering wheel, just a place for a Datajack lead. Doctor McCoy takes this to his chosen mechanic (Doc Salvage, which he knew did Shadowbusiness from a blog he belongs to!), and got his Horseman's windshield fixed, along with a quick paintjob in the Starback's colours (Diarrhoea Brown and Puke Green). The rush paintjob took up half the advance the Johnson just sent them.

Meanwhile, the hacked Traffic Cameras show something going down at the Warehouse, someone is screaming at the building, and doing something to one of the doors constantly, with a really nice sports car parked in front. Kayun rides off quickly with (H!m3R@ spoofing his Rice Rocket as a Segway.

The Bio-Ninja gets there, and uses his bio-enhanced elven hearing to listen in on what's going on, and it's some self-important schmuck screaming at the building to let him in, and the building responding with rules and regulations (Complete with what page and paragraph they're on in the security manual), about how he can't let him in until the swipe card authorizes him as a legitimate person. Finally the VP of the Warehouse's holding company has his swipe card work, and he goes in.

Kayun finds a few holes in the security cameras on the outside of the building, and calls for the Hacker to show up, describing the type of cameras they are (From 2050, no Wireless. He has Corporate Security Measures as a Knowledge Skill, and got a decent roll.).

(H!m3R@ gets a ride to the site, stopping to pick up some Wireless Dongles with Multi-Prong connectors, gets thrown up onto the roof by our Bio-Ninja, and makes an insanely high roll to port the wireless connection to the Cameras, and giving him access to the feed. Less than a second of static time is seen from the feeds, and considering the age of the cameras...

It's at this point that Mr. VP comes out, and starts cursing and swearing at the building some more. (H!m3R@ hacks the feed, and Kayun tries to sneak up on the suit, and fails. “What the Frag do you want?�

Well, Kayun, being the direct Bio-Ninja type, answers that with a punch to the face, doing decent damage. Unfortunetly for him, Mr. VP decides to Critically Glitch the roll, and takes the same amout of physical damage along with the stun damage (“His head snaps back from your punch as he crumples down, but connects with the fender of the car, hard, and lies there unconscious and bleeding from the head.� “Oh... Not good.�).

Luckily, MedKits are damn useful things! Mr. VP has a Concussion, and the typical rules are fed to the group. “Pressure bandage to stop the bleeding, and keep him awake, make sure he knows who he is.� So, after a quick strip down Kayun wakes him up, “Do you know who you are?�

“Yes! I'm... I'm...� And gives his name (I didn't write it down. He's not likely to be seen again, you'll see why later.), “Who the frag are you?�

“The guy that just punched you in the head, and I did it because I need this.� Kayun holds up the swipe card.

“Drek! This guy might have Cybereyes or something! (H!m3R@, hack his CommLink!� goes Conner over the TeamNet Chat. After hacking the guy's CommLink, (H!m3R@ finds, in “My Pictures�, that yes, he is constantly taking pictures of Kayun, and also has audio recordings. So, he deletes the files, gets rid of the file flags, and turns off the guy's cyberoptics and cyberaudio. “I'm BLIND AND DEAF!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!�

Luckily, this is a warehouse district in the middle of the night. (Having had to walk through those neighbourhoods after one job, I can tell you, loneliest places around!).

A quick, but hard, hack of the sports car (Eurocar Westwind 3000-SUX Edition), they drop him in the back and (H!m3R@ drives off using the car's autopilot. They drop off Mr. VP at Sam's Surgery and Deli (McCoy called in a favour, and they paid using the guy's 1000Â¥ credstick.). Asking the staff to hold onto him for the night, eyes and ears off, until the morning, then let him go somewhere. The Nurse orders one of the Street Punks to be fixed up (Broken Arm) in exchange for doing just that. The VP is left in the middle of deepest, darkest Puyallup the next morning, with no shoes.

The Shadowcrew then take the car to Doc Salvage to try and hock it, and pick up the Ice Cream/Coffee Truck.

Doc Salvage takes one look at the car, flips into AR, “Is that car yours?� “Well, sort of...� “IT'S STILL BROADCASTING! GET YOUR DREK AND LEAVE! NOW!!!� He points to McCoy, “I don't want to see you for a WHOLE MONTH! Then come back for the Horseman's oil change.�

Luckily, as Mr. VP is lacking his CommLink, he can't report it stolen. So, they decide to drive around, stop at a few places, and then jam the signal behind a Lone Star Precinct House. (H!m3R@ starts jamming using his CommLink, with it's insanely high Signal rating. The car cannot contact GridGuide any longer, and thus cannot drive, and half the Precinct House has it's Wireless go down. So, all those lit up windows suddenly have silhouettes behind them, and a cop comes out the back door, “All right, whoever the wise guy is with the Jammer, turn it off, NOW!�

(H!m3R@ turns it off, “Out of the vehicles, off the bikes. SINs! NOW!� So, everyone starts offering their SINs up, save Kayun, who lacks one. Before the cop gets to him, however, he notices how high-end the sports car is, “And is this your vehicle?�

“No officer.� Doctor McCoy says, his Fake SIN also being a Doctor, “The person who owns this vehicle was in an accident.� Kayun offers the Cop his CommLink to show who the proper owner is, “I stabilized him as a concerned citizen, took him to a clinic for better care, and was bringing over the car to Lone Star for them to hold onto it until he is released.�

A really, really good Con roll, and a bad roll for the Cop later, “Yeah... Well... Next time bring it to the front and tell a Desk Sargent. And quit playing with Wireless Jammers kid!� Pointing at (H!m3R@, who is a Gnome. Then he looks at the car closely, “Hey, this is the SUX edition, isn't it?�

“Yeah, it is. I mean, hell, look at the dashboard, it's got more buttons than Darth Vader's Bathroom!� Conner pipes up.

“Yeah... Yeah... Look, I'll take possession of this vehicle now. Here's my badge number.� Beems it to McCoy, “You citizens be on your way.�

Driving off, at a nice sedate speed until away from the Cop Shop, then driving like bats out of hell.

So, one last thing is needed for their plan. They pick up a few 100-Cup Pots of Starback's SoyCaff, and Doctor McCoy alters it with some flavouring, and a few special bits. They name the “Real Coffees� Midnight Serenade and Chocolate Thunder, then start at the far end of the block, playing “Flight of the Valkyries� to attract attention of the Security Teams inside. Lots of good Con rolls, they sell out by the time they get to the end of the block, with the most “coffee� going to the Warehouse in question.

Previously, Conner had used his Ganger contact to cause a bit of a disturbance outside the back of the warehouse, which started right about now. He had three Halloweeners show up. (Kayun: “I find this severely underwhelming as a distraction.�), and they try to enter the door.

Only to find that the swipe card works for them about as well as it did for Mr. VP. Which is to say, it doesn't.

Seven sweat-heavy minutes later, it finally lets them in.

They go in, animal masks on again, and find out that only one person didn't try the Midnight Serenade, and is still concious, however, he really liked the Chocolate Thunder, and was coming close to suffering from dehydration as he suffered from the effects of the drugs. (Those of you who have seen the movie “Formula 51� will know what's going on here.).

After getting into one of the safes, and finding a Pastrami on Rye, an Apple, and a can of Five Alive from 1970, (H!m3R@ hacks into the Spider's network, finds out there's only one safe listed in the database, and gets the combo code for it (He hacked himself ROOT access. He had access to all!).

They get the Prototype and the files... I take Conner's player over to where I had the Prototype stashed away...

Jiffy Pop.

They also pull all the portable data cores (No permanent memory, just the portables), to ensure there's no surveillance footage.

The cops show up about that time to the only concious security guard's 911 call, and start hassling the Halloweeners, and the group gets out the front door, and drive off safely, if somewhat smelly, with the prize.

Then, another series of hacks by (H!m3R@, and the creation of a Numbered Corporation using his SIN, he gets Starbacks to “have ordered� the truck as part of a pilot project thought up by the “Vice President of Everything Starting With 'Q'.�, and, after some very tense moments where the Conner kept his cool, got a sign off on a 11K and change invoice for the truck by the same VP. However, they don't have any CredSticks, and pay in good ol' UCAS Blueback Dollars.

They wait until the next evening to contact Mr. Johnson, having woken him up before, and he asks if they have the package. They confirm they do, and he beams over the Traffic Control Cameras showing a series of armoured cars with heavy-armed and armoured guards (With NO logos!) screaming at the staff of the warehouse. “Good. I guess you don't want to sit on it any earlier, so meet up at Freeloadin' Freddy's Fighthouse in Puyallup, at Midnight. ... Make that Midnight-Thirty, I want to get a fight on first.�

So, they get to the meet, talk to a few folks they know, and head to the back room, and fill Mr. Johnson in on the whole details, and he hands over five 5K Credsticks in exchange for the Jiffy Pop and the Data. He also gives over a copy of his book, and arranges with them to build a front company for the purpose of doing inside investments based on their Shadowruns, in exchange for 10% of the company.

And pays for the beer.

And here is Starback's responce to the situation.
masterofm
In your Star Back's article you might want to change infamous to famous. Infamous as simple as simple gets basically means not good.... but then the dude goes on to say how awesome and legit their flavoring is. Just FYI.
CanRay
Thanks. He was misquoted, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
And here is the post about the Ganger.
Bashfull
Weird question: Canray, what's that font called on your header? And do you know where I can get it? I've been looking for it since I saw it on a poster Jason Alexander, once of my favourite SR artists ever (who found JC and stopped doing SR) used it on some of his work.

You've done amazing work, by the way. Wish I knew IT like you do.
CanRay
Sorry, inherited the Blog from someone else (As I've described above), and just use the Blogspot's standard way of posting.

I think it might be "Trebuchet", but can't be certain.

And thanks very much, wish I could write more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012