Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A question regarding software
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hermit
Reading through Unwired, I came across the rules for software suites, which effectively combine several programs into one, making it more vulnerable against crashing and viruses, but also MUCH easier on processor. Also, the chapter encourages to make your own suites.

Now, of course, this begs a couple of questions I'd like to have clarified, because the paragraphs were indeed a tad brief.

1) Can autosofts - the only software type not mentioned in that paragraph - also be combined into package deals that count as one program regarding processor load?
2) If one of the programs in the suite uses the optimisation or ergonomic program options, does this translate to the suite as a whole? Or if all programs have that option? If the latter is the case, does only the lowest level of optimisation count for calculating program levels when the processor is overstressed?
3) Regarding options: can I pick 3 options, regardless of rating, or does each point of rating use up one option slot with the program? In other words, would this programbe legal?
CODE
Analyse 6 (crash guard, optimised 6, virus resistance 6)

Or would only this go according to the rules as written?
CODE
Analyse 6 (crash guard, optimised 1, virus resistance 1)

Thanks for answering.

Added by Edit 1:

4) Concerning system topology - is it possible to route a drone's communication through a proxy server built into the drone and acting as a separate server, being linked via optical cable, and used as a choke point against intruders, the commlink being iced as much as possible? If that wouldn't work, what different setup might helt out there instead?
WearzManySkins
From what I have read and understood. grinbig.gif

Each option adds to the availability number of the base program and increases costs. I do not recall programs having a slot limit.

So I would say you can go with Analyze 6 (crash guard, optimized 6, virus resistance 6) it would costs more and have a higher availability number.

WMS
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jul 6 2008, 01:03 PM) *
I do not recall programs having a slot limit.

"Each program can be maximally equipped with a number of options equal to half its rating (round down). If a program does not possess a rating (like BTLs), it can carry only 1 program option unless the gamemaster decides otherwise. Note that Copy Protection and Registration do not count towards this limit." p.114, Unwired.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Jul 6 2008, 11:17 AM) *
"Each program can be maximally equipped with a number of options equal to half its rating (round down). If a program does not possess a rating (like BTLs), it can carry only 1 program option unless the gamemaster decides otherwise. Note that Copy Protection and Registration do not count towards this limit." p.114, Unwired.

Ok then a rating 6 analyze can have three slots of program options, and each option can be a rating 6? or rating 1?

Then there is the Slot loop hole from Arsenal ie if it was designed/built with that option it does not count against the slot limit.

WMS
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jul 6 2008, 12:26 PM) *
Then there is the Slot loop hole from Arsenal ie if it was designed/built with that option it does not count against the slot limit.

If you choose to let a rule about modifications to physical items apply to code options applied to a program, sure.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Jul 6 2008, 05:06 PM) *
If you choose to let a rule about modifications to physical items apply to code options applied to a program, sure.

Hmm IIRC that rule applies to all things items etc using the mod rules. Synner stated it pretty much that way here on the forums. Designed in features do not count against the slot limit. Now each GM can decide what is designed and what is modded.

WMS
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jul 6 2008, 09:35 PM) *
Hmm IIRC that rule applies to all things items etc using the mod rules. Synner stated it pretty much that way here on the forums.

Link please?
WearzManySkins
I guess your Data Search Skills are still impaired. grinbig.gif

The Slot system started in Arsenal for Vehicles, Guns and Gear, was carried over to Unwired which includes gear, software, and Agents. So the Slot system no longer is only for physical gear.

If you are a RAWista or Cannonista, I will cease attempted to describe the color Red to one born blind. grinbig.gif

WMS

RunnerPaul
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jul 6 2008, 11:46 PM) *
I guess your Data Search Skills are still impaired.

Either that, or Synner never really made a post saying that the slot system was as wide reaching as you claim it to be. You're the one who said he did, usually it's polite to provide a link when talking about Dev/Frelancer posts.
Ryu
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 6 2008, 06:31 PM) *
1) Can autosofts - the only software type not mentioned in that paragraph - also be combined into package deals that count as one program regarding processor load?
2) If one of the programs in the suite uses the optimisation or ergonomic program options, does this translate to the suite as a whole? Or if all programs have that option? If the latter is the case, does only the lowest level of optimisation count for calculating program levels when the processor is overstressed?
3) Regarding options: can I pick 3 options, regardless of rating, or does each point of rating use up one option slot with the program?
4) Concerning system topology - is it possible to route a drone's communication through a proxy server built into the drone and acting as a separate server, being linked via optical cable, and used as a choke point against intruders, the commlink being iced as much as possible? If that wouldn't work, what different setup might helt out there instead?

1) Sure. Autosofts are programs, too.
2) Each passive option should be used for all programs - keep it simple. If only the lowest rating counts, the manufacturer will know.
3) Half rating (round down) options is the maximum, as was said. I´m currently looking at ergonomic, optimisation 3 rating 5 programs. Those can run on a degraded rating 3 node.
4) Go the simple way and upgrade response (you want that anyway). Have an agent program running, loaded with ergonomic programs, and slave the drone to your comlink.
An autosoft suite (defense, maneuver, targeting) 3, and an agent with ergonomic analyse, armor and attack can now run even on a response 3 drone. Response 4(3) would permit to run stealth twice (for the agent and the drone) (suite+agent+2 programs = one free before another degradation, choose a mission-specific autosoft). A hearthfelt thanks for making Response 6 optional!
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Jul 7 2008, 01:28 AM) *
Either that, or Synner never really made a post saying that the slot system was as wide reaching as you claim it to be. You're the one who said he did, usually it's polite to provide a link when talking about Dev/Frelancer posts.

Ah RAWista, thanks. grinbig.gif

WMS
hermit
Thank you, Ryu. smile.gif I'd go for Response 6 anyway, though. Propably add another Ice. And I really like agent autosofts. They seem to finally make IC a viable enemy.
Tarantula
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jul 7 2008, 04:55 AM) *
Ah RAWista, thanks. grinbig.gif

WMS

So, you make up a quote, can't provide it, and then insult him because of it? Nice....

Oh, and FYI, "Red is any of a number of similar colors evoked by light consisting predominantly of the longest wavelengths of light discernible by the human eye, in the wavelength range of roughly 625–740 nm." wikipedia.
Ryu
Your welcome!

The former load with stealth runs at response 6, but another agent and another autosoft or ECCM seem to be worth the drop in response. I´ll probably use the 6(5) setup, too, unless I leave my body behind an have a primary command drone.

A suite I´m considering is Analyse/Wifi-Scan/Sniffer. Thematically correct, and I´m not concerned by WiFi-Scan and Sniffer being bound to the fate of Analyse. Consider Mr. Holmes, (Rating 5/5/5, crashguard, optimised 3), 2600 nuyen.gif.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012