Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "illegal' laborers or droids?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
I was wondering if the SINless-the evielent of illegal aliens in 2070- would be used for the same sort of cheap labor in 2070 that illegal aliens are used for today? Maids, gardeners etc? Sure i know the corps want corp employees or maybe droids, I mean drones, but htose cost more money than just a guy who'll accept damn near anything to ride the mover around the house or unclog the toilet. Sure the high level corp stuff will have corp gronuds kerepers but I've worked for major corps and, for example while Xerox's corp HQ had particular grounds keepers (in the 80's at least) the subsidary office where I was didn't.
WearzManySkins
Depends on the mind set of the Corp Leaders/CEO. Each set of Corp Leaders will impart their take on SINless.

If using SINless is very cheap and available then yes. If not then Drones etc.

WMS
CanRay
Also depends on the budget of the department. And what needs to be done.

If it's hazardous and dangerous, it's probably cheaper to use SINless Labour. Drones are expensive after all.

If it's high stress, and burn-out jobs, SINless Labour to the Rescue! "SINless Tech Support Agency, how can I help you by following a script?"
Backgammon
Actually, I think it'd be hard to build a drone that can do gardening and unclog toilets and whatnot. Those types of job require a lot of improvising and movements that a drone would had trouble with. I think you're better off with unskilled labour (with Rating 2 activesofts) than drones.

But I don't think the corps hire SINless. First of all, it's hard to keep tabs on SINless. What do you enter them in the system as? How do you issue their (meagre) paychecks? How do you keep tabs of where they are assigned, what they should be doing and their performance? You'd pretty much have to end up issuing them a corporate SIN - and then they are no longer SINless.

You don't have to hire SINless people to have cheap labour. Plenty of SINners are poor and will work for bottom dollars just the same, and they are much easier to control.

I don't think corps would hire SINless. No, they stay jobless. The corps might use the SINless, but that's not the same as hiring them. Like get a bunch and tie them up in a Barrens factory. You don't really need to assign individual SINs, just Lot/Batch Numbers.
CanRay
*Makes Notes* OutSourceCallCentreCoInc, Ltd. just got even more evil.
Snow_Fox
Backgammon, for laborers in the US what honestly happens often is that there are areas where there gather to be picked up. often a trtuck will drive by and say they need X number of men for Y hours a $z per hour. and off the go. Usually to just push a lawn mower or shovel manure.

In hotels and kitchens it's less random but the workers still go for less wages and bene's than a legal worker because they cannot protest and the masters keep overhead down.

By this same light a cEO may want only corp approved gardener services used but whose to say if an underling doesn't cut costs or the company hired doesn't. I mean that's what they do today, and fake SIN's ofr the record. All the account's know is they pay, for example nuyen.gif 1,000/week to have the lawns cut and the laws and cut. Think they'll care about the SIN of the guy pushing the mower? Not their job.
hobgoblin
hmm, the boss tell some department head that some project needs to be completed within a set date and below a set cost, and either because it cant be done in any other way, or because the dep. head is a skimming bastard, they use sinless. the boss may not "know" of this until some news outlet comes across it.

its not only for governments that plausible deniability exist...
Particle_Beam
It really depends on the job. However, don't confuse drones of the shadowrun future with today drones. Those robotic thingies in Shadowrun are far more advanced than what you may think, and many times more reliable and faster than having to employ new workers, who have to learn their job first, might get sick (no, replacing them isn't really that much an option, because the new guy has to learn his job too, before becoming proficient enough in it to replace the former one), or simply aren't that fast.
Unemployment is very high in Shadowrun, because of the very high modernization, don't forget that. And the absolute majority will stay unemployed, because not only can robots do your job better than you, there are even magical spirits enhancing and doing the same job many times better than humans would normally do.

In order to keep up with the machines and the ghosts, you have to literally become part machine, by buying and installing augmentations like cyber- and bioware.
But most people can 't even afford a basic cybereye-set. That's how desperate the dystopic world-life in SR is for all who are without SIN and money (exceptions confirming the rule).
CanRay
Yes, but an unemployed SIN-Filled society is a society with insufficient funds to BUY BUY BUY!!!

That decreases market share, and that's a BAD THING.
Particle_Beam
SIN-less people will have to accept harsh credits and obligations. They get the cyberware necessary for the job by Corp A, but have to work their ass off long time (they will get a corp SIN, at least), but at least have job and (very little) money.
However, the rest stays poor and may not be able to work at all. That's also a reason why criminality is so rampant in the SR-world. The mobs and other criminal cartels have very many foot soldiers, gangers are terrorizing and bullying the weak and unfortunate, and the cycle recommences. And hey, there's still enough SINners with enough money.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jul 6 2008, 01:15 PM) *
Actually, I think it'd be hard to build a drone that can do gardening and unclog toilets and whatnot. Those types of job require a lot of improvising and movements that a drone would had trouble with.
Yes. Please. Let's save the drones for shooting large volumes of high velocity lead at undesirables who tend not too keen on the idea of stopping such lead. Because after all, combats are highly predictable events that can be handled by a prescripted library of movements taking the idea of improvisation right out of the loop. Right tool for the job, people!
CanRay
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Jul 6 2008, 05:47 PM) *
Yes. Please. Let's save the drones for shooting large volumes of high velocity lead at undesirables who tend not too keen on the idea of stopping such lead. Because after all, combats are highly predictable events that can be handled by a prescripted library of movements taking the idea of improvisation right out of the loop. Right tool for the job, people!

Oooooooooooooooooo... Droids programed for Gun Katas!

I like! vegm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012