Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GTA and Shadowrun DO mix!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sweaty Hippo
I'm a teenage male, and one of my groups are 100% teenage male.

And we all know how popular Grand Theft Auto is among teenagers of this era!

So when I present the six basic "Archetypes" to a new group that happens to also be video game nerds, they all decide to be Adepts or Street Samurai. No Mages, no Faces, no Hackers/Technomancers. They all just want to blow shit up with big guns! And they're all Orks/Trolls, due to the kick-ass physical abilities.

And guess what: it's fun!

You don't have to care about negotiating deals with Mr. Johnson in non-combat situations if you don't want to! You don't have to care about the slow collapse of a dystopian society!

Nope, just sex, drugs, and Matrix-fueled Rock n' Roll (or Goblin punk rock)! That, and showing those Humanis Policlub goons and Halloweeners who runs this turf!

It's like beer and pretzels D&D (gang of adventurers storm the dungeon and kill everyone, zero character development), only with Shadowrun.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Crank
You'll grow out of it. biggrin.gif

I don't mean that in a disparaging way either. When I was a teenager our games were the same way. Its definitely fun but overtime our games changed as what we wanted out of the game changed. One of our players who used to make the most combat focused characters in our group, some of his latest characters barely had any combat skills.

At the end of the day, SR is just a game and the only "right" way to play it is whichever way is fun for your group. But what's fun today, may be a snoozer next year. And for every person that finds a certain style of game fun, there are probably two that don't, whether they're vocal about it or not.
Tarantula
Indeed. Back in high school, our GM threw out availability rules entirely, and just said if you can afford it you got it. My riggers started with APCs that we'd roll down the street with, no problem! All was good times.
CanRay
I instituted a special rule for items that were overpowered/weird/unusual. Just like my Hobby Skill rule.

I call it the "Tattoo" rule. Every Tattoo has a story, even if it is just "I had some extra money and decided to dermally scar myself.".

If the equipment is just weird, that will work. Overpowered and unusual need a bit more of an explaination.

It balances it, because it gives me story ideas. vegm.gif
Sweaty Hippo
What would be a good dice pool penalty be if a player decides to "go gangsta!" and fire his pistol sideways?

What about a spoof on "Wanted Levels?"

Also, the Mr. Johnsons in said groups aren't corp executives, but mob bosses. All in all, they're still the same type (pay the PCs to do the job).
crash_00
It all depends on the individual. If he's sighted his pistol in that way or using a smartlink then I'd say none, but if it's his first time one or two dice. Nothing big. Of course if it's a heavy pistol a sprained or broken wrist for their trouble may be in order.
WeaverMount
The real issue firing gangsta style is that you can't use traditional sighting, wrist damage, and brass in your face if you do it wrong.
For your game I'd just let it go, though. With a BOD/STR of 5 or six you should really be able to handle the bad wrist posture. With a smartlink you still be able to sight your weapon. And caseless ammo is really good at keeping casing out of your face. I'd be temped not to penalize any one in SR if they met all 3 conditions in my game. In yours it should really be fine.
Sweaty Hippo
One more question; if the gang managed to cross into another Corp's territory, and said group was being chased by Lone Star, does Lone Star have the authority to cross said border?
crash_00
Completely dependent on the corp and their relationship with lonestar I believe.
Dumori
Was with doc wagon I assume they have to ask for permission. Stating who they are chacing.
Dumori
Was with doc wagon I assume they have to ask for permission. Stating who they are chacing.
Drogos
The best way to 'spoof' wanted levels is Noteriety and Public Awreness biggrin.gif
CanRay
Actually, with an Add-On to the ShadowSea Toolbar, you can now get your current "Wanted By Security" Level indicated by a group of Stars on your AR Display!

That's right, thanks to ShadowSea Hackers, we now have an on-going, real-time hack of Lone Star Frequencies and AR Discussions, and our Enhanced Recognition System allows for a prediction of force allocation against your Shadowrun!

At One Star, they send out a single squad car to investigate.

At Two, there will be an ongoing pursuit by Drones.

At Three, Drones and Cars will be dispatched, with orders to shoot.

All the way up Six stars, when the Metroplex Guard is called in, and we disconnect the ShadowSea Toolbar from your CommLink and deny any knowledge of ever hearing about you!

All available in one simple download and monthly service fee!

ShadowSea! What? Only the Corporations can produce things?
Wesley Street
QUOTE (crash_00 @ Jul 7 2008, 10:07 PM) *
It all depends on the individual. If he's sighted his pistol in that way or using a smartlink then I'd say none, but if it's his first time one or two dice. Nothing big. Of course if it's a heavy pistol a sprained or broken wrist for their trouble may be in order.

Hmmm... With gangsta-style you could always add a +1 for Intimidation while subtracting -1 from Agility. Or subtract 1 Professional Point from the NPC group being targeted while subtracting 1 Agility point from the pistol wielder. Maybe...?
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Jul 8 2008, 12:10 PM) *
Hmmm... With gangsta-style you could always add a +1 for Intimidation while subtracting -1 from Agility. Or subtract 1 Professional Point from the NPC group being targeted while subtracting 1 Agility point from the pistol wielder. Maybe...?

At this point I think there is no need to muck with the dice pools. Having a skill above 0 means you have a bit of training or experience and probably taught yourself to shoot gangsta style anyway.
crash_00
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Jul 8 2008, 05:10 PM) *

Why intimidation? When I see someone holding their gun wrong it doesn't seem scary to me, it makes me think wow this guy learned how to shoot from a not so trained ape.

I don't play 4th edition, but firing a pistol sideways isn't that bad for anything at a close range, where it's basically a point and pull anyway. It only really affects things in two situations. A.) Long range when you're lining up the sights and B.) firing guns with very heavy recoil. That said, I've only ever had a person firing his pistol at further than medium range come up once in six years of playing so it's not worth hassling over most likely. As for B.) if they're orks and trolls don't worry about it unless they're super weaklings. I have seen people fracture their wrists with magnums though by being stupid. Although the funniest thing I've seen was a guy firing a .44 Mag revolver sideways, the recoil sprained his wrist and smacked the gun into his face leaving a very amusing bruise.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (crash_00 @ Jul 8 2008, 08:27 PM) *
Why intimidation? When I see someone holding their gun wrong it doesn't seem scary to me, it makes me think wow this guy learned how to shoot from a not so trained ape.

I suppose that's you then. I see a cop aim a pistol at me utilizing the Weaver stance, I get scared. I see a nothing-to-lose thug holding a gat sideways in my face, I wet myself.
Blade
If somebody points a gun at me, I don't think his stance will be my bigger concern, except if he obviously doesn't know how to hold a gun.
CanRay
"Officially, the Colt America L36 is classed as a light pistol, barely on step up from a holdout: five mil, with an eight-centimeter barrel. But even the lightest pistol seems to have a bore like a subway tunnel when you're looking down the business send of one." - Dirk, "2XS" by Nigel Findley.
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (Crank @ Jul 7 2008, 03:57 PM) *
And for every person that finds a certain style of game fun, there are probably two that don't, whether they're vocal about it or not.

And those that are vocal are drawn to the Internet like moths to an open flame smile.gif
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Sweaty Hippo @ Jul 9 2008, 03:44 PM) *
And those that are vocal are drawn to the Internet like moths to an open flame smile.gif

You mean I can say whatever I want on "teh Interwebs" and not be held accountable? *GASP*! silly.gif
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Sweaty Hippo @ Jul 7 2008, 03:27 PM) *
You don't have to care about negotiating deals with Mr. Johnson in non-combat situations if you don't want to! You don't have to care about the slow collapse of a dystopian society!

So, do your contacts keep calling you during missions, wanting to hang out? If you're on the phone, and you wreck your car, does it automatically end the call, while your friends, rather than being concerned for you, think you're a dick for "hanging up" on them by flying through a windshield, only to land on a cop?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Jul 8 2008, 12:10 PM) *

I don't understand how firing your pistol in a blatantly incorrect way is supposed to be intimidating. It'd be like if someone came after you with a rifle but he kept shooting from the hip, or if someone came to beat you up but he only arm-punched you instead of generating power from the body. You'll probably feel better than if your assailant were handling the weapon in a correct way.

The other thing...it's one thing to hold the pistol in a biomechanically incorrect way if it's a 9x19mm handgun. But if it's a "heavy pistol" and it's therefore in 10mm or .454 casull or something like that, holding the pistol in a weak grip is even more ridiculous.
Dumori
It would be more scary if you'd seen them use it effectively like that. Then you know that if the held it the right way your really screwed. Like a street sam how takes down a corp-sec group form the hip while looking the other way (doable with the rules you gun does have a cam on it) You'd know if held held that the right way he'd be better. In the hitman movie the is a scene like this where 47 walks past a crossed set of corridors and takes out the two groups of swat with out missing a beat I believe he files his silver ballers side ways there as well. Thins like that would make the ineffective scary.
CanRay
New From Ares Arms: The Twistfire Pistol! Designed for the Orxploitation Rage, this gun comes with Sights on the top, and both sides for ambidexterous sideways shooting!
Dumori
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 11 2008, 12:09 AM) *
New From Ares Arms: The Twistfire Pistol! Designed for the Orxploitation Rage, this gun comes with Sights on the top, and both sides for ambidexterous sideways shooting!

I would have just given it a specialized stmartlink and recoil modification (to make easy to fire sideways cant think of a better term) Still I'm not completly sure what this side way firing is meant to look like. Most likely not that same cool looking manga esc styles I'm thinking of.
Sir_Psycho
Not to disparage you, but if I want car chases, violence, explosions, and rocking tunes, then I'll watch the Blues Brothers (or play GTA).

Seriously, the Blues Brothers has EVERYTHING. All star cast, tunes, celebrity cameos (, princess leia with an RPG, amazing car chases, nazis, religion, suits, dancing, sunglasses at night, cowboys, whipcracking and etcetera.
CanRay
*Makes notes for next session* Nazis, eh?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012