Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragon*Con 2008
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
TranKirsaKali
I was just on the Dragon Con web site and can not find any Missions listed. They are going to be there correct? I know we have plenty of players.
the_dunner
Catalyst Game Labs plans to sponsor games at Dragon*Con.
Phantastik
DragonCon doesn't have any of the "campaign" RPGs listed yet - they're running a bit behind this year.

The calls for judges etc. are going out currently, and I know the LFR stuff etc. should be in-hand in a week or so. I'd check the con sight weekly or so next 2-3 weeks.

Wasabi
Whats LFR stand for? Looking for Referee?
Kithran
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Jul 13 2008, 02:40 PM) *
Whats LFR stand for? Looking for Referee?

Living Forgotten Realms - Wizards of the Coast's new Living Campaign using D&D 4E, launches at Gen Con Indy.

Kithran
TranKirsaKali
Thanks so much for the responses. I know the main reason I go to D Con now is for the missions with the group up there. I need my fix! wobble.gif LOL we have people watching the con site daily to buy out one of each of the missions for our team. Watch out GM's we are back!!! grinbig.gif
Zolhex
Shouldn't you be packing that house won't move it's self rotfl.gif
TranKirsaKali
Don't make me kick you Casazil! I know where you live!
Phantastik
Still no SRM listed, so I just loaded up on 7 slots of "Heroes of Rokugan"... which is great, but I want some SRM!

Hopefully some gets listed...

Wasabi
Its there.

Go to:
http://gaming.dragoncon.net/index.php?t=event_search

Then look in the "Game System" dropdown for "Shadowrun 4th Edition (RPGANonCampaign)"
TranKirsaKali
Yes and if you Notice many sold out games, do not panic. That is just our team preparing for the con. We tend to over organize sometimes! LOL
dog_xinu
there is several missions being run and multiple of each. With also several non-missions games. Depending on the need and the gm's availability, once of us GMs will run the missions for you. I know that I show up each year with a full plate and end up running several more than what is scheduled. And I am not the only one.

And NO I am not promising anything.
WiredWeasel
I'll be posting this on the other DragonCon related thread as well.
I just wanted to know if there might be the possibility of maybe getting into a game on-site.
I'm not the DJ this year, so I have a chance to play this year, but I am still going to work staff and don't know my schedule yet, so signing up for a game ahead of time isn't really possible.
Any chance of me getting into one last minute?
the_dunner
QUOTE (WiredWeasel @ Aug 1 2008, 01:08 PM) *
Any chance of me getting into one last minute?

Yes, we often have back-up GMs available, and many of our GMs are willing to accommodate more than the 6 players that we allow in pre-reg. smile.gif
Jack Rackham
It has been a couple of years since I last played and I will be creating a new character for use at DragonCon (already pre-registered for games). Do any of you veterans of SR Missions have any advice for new character generation? Particularly looking for advice on what NOT to bother with based on your experience with Missions scenarios.

Thanks.
Wasabi
Hackers that are one trick ponies are not really suited well for a general purpose game like an SRM scenario. A Hacker that can use guns well, has social skills, or some other diversity does well. TM's can do well if they know how to use sprite abilities to support their team or have rigger type skills.

At Dragoncon I almost never see a tanking character like a sammy orc and only a few folks play mages but not many. I hear gencon is chock full of mages. Not sure why but had two commandos say that over the years so must be some truth to it.

Advice:
1. Max armor using PPP and Formfitting from Arsenal
2. Get the best ammo possible. For mages and TM's this can mean DMSO+Narcojet. For big gun wielders APDS or AV are good.
3. Fake SIN! Fake SIN! Fake SIN!
4. Talk, Plan, and Investigate. In the last 15min or so of the time slot execute any violence. Its not D&D after all. smile.gif
RobertB
The most well-rounded character that you can create. You never know who you're going to have at the table or what the mission will be. Try to be good at a couple of things at least. You'll have more fun participating.

Robert (aka Spanner)
Cadmus
All the above posts are correct, though from my limited experance I have noticed a lack of mages, and faces smile.gif
Kai
On the advice of some very nice D*C staff, Missions actually get listed as Non-Campaign because then we 1) don't have to muster in two seperate areas for Missions and Everything Else and 2)Have enough 'critical mass' to have our own area so we're easy to find even if you aren't preregistered for a game. Sorry for the confusion!
dog_xinu
finding the Shadowrun GMs/area is always (in my humble opinion) easy. Kai & other GMs hang out at a table (always very easy to find) when we are not running a table. We work with D*C staff to get all of our tables as close as they can be to each other. The rumor I heard (and I will only state it is a rumor until I see it..sorry been there done that too many times) that Shadowrun (Missions & non-Missions stuff) will be in a dedicated area this year. Dedicated to us. Which is good for us since the SR GMs make sure that we dont interfere with the other tables. Some of the DnD-isc (fantasty games) tend to get loud. Plus if I have a quick game question I can always walk over and talk to another SR4 GM. Which makes my life easier. And all of this makes the players lives easier since they know where they will be playing.

sorry for the ramblings... I shouldnt post when I am on little/no sleep (# of sleep per the last X days < 5 ; formula -> #/X < 5).

For all of you coming to D*C, I will see you there... and no I wont be around til noon (must sleep some...)

dog

EDIT: there should be an automated way to prevent me from posting if I fail the test mentioned above for sleep. I must start working on it. smile.gif
Skipper
I'll see you there, I'm planning in playing in about 5 sessions. Otherwise I'll be judging D&D 4th. A game I haven't even played in (though I do DM it to a local group). This will be my first Shadow run experience, and if it goes well I'll be running it at the local club. I figure the best way to learn a new game and its style is to play under three or four expereinced DM's with a number of varied groups.

Skipper

Dyspeptic
QUOTE (Skipper @ Aug 24 2008, 07:28 PM) *
This will be my first Shadow run experience, and if it goes well I'll be running it at the local club. I figure the best way to learn a new game and its style is to play under three or four expereinced DM's with a number of varied groups.

Welcome to the game! Perhaps we'll get to work together at some point.

Important things to know:

1. Don't get shot.
2. Do your research and legwork.
3. Lone Star is not your friend :)
4. Don't get shot.
5. "I have a permit for that."
6. When in doubt, geek the opposition's mage first.
7. If they can't see you, they can't shoot you.
8. Be prepared; have the right gear for the job.
9. It's all about the nuyen.
10. Oh, and don't get shot...
Skipper
Thanks for the device. Sounds like a plan since the first thing I do when entering a room is

1) locate the exits
2) identify solid cover
3) identify a patsy to blame if things go bad
4) make sure others look more dnagerous than me so they draw the fire first while I hide or bolt.

Skipper
Cadmus
And dont' forget to hug your rigger once a day,
Whizbang
I'm just in from the Con, and I had a blast. Thanks to Kai for keeping everything well organized, and the GMs for running good games. Will post the highlights of the missions I (Zelda) was on once my fried brain has had time to rest.
Wasabi
A deep heartfelt thanks to all the GM's who came out and to Kai for flying cover. A few GM's didn't show but the GM's that did cheerily took up the slack so avidly at one point we had to turn down a GM offering to do a run for us in a gap in our own 11-game schedule and with Kai and the other commando's offering to take up slack for the missing GM(s?) I know *I* felt in very good hands.

Thanks!!
dog_xinu

I will speak for the GMs (ok, maybe I shouldnt but I will this one time!), we had a blast too. The games were at capacity or overfull. Which is always nice to have over the other problem (not enough players to play). All the games ran smoothly. No player issues. No player vs player issues (sometimes people's personalities dont mix). No player vs GM issues. From what I saw and heard, it couldnt have gone better.

Please post your feedback. And if you dont want to post it publicly, you can email me (either PM me here or at dog@dogxinu.com).

Thanks to all the other GMs, to all the players, Kai for organizing the chaos, and to Loren/Randall for coming in!
Coldhand Jake
I certainly did. It was my first Con event, and certainly a test to my rules knowledge, as I'm more of a storyteller than referee, but I had a hell of a time. Can't wait for next year.
Mexican Bandit
Thanks everyone for such a great time this weekend at DragonCon! Thanks to everyone who make these events happen. I would especially like to thank Sara, Scott for making this happen, and Marc for his great storytelling (Good luck with deployment!) Thanks again to the tables at which I played for being such great players. I am definitely looking forward to next year's shenanigans!

Lando
Greetings chummers,

I had a great time and thanks to all the players and fellow GMs for the fun, roleplaying and good time. I am considering doing more SR next year if things work out.

Halabis
I had a blast. I came to Dragon*Con expecting to only play in one shadowrun game having burned myself out on GMing at cons a couple of years ago, but when I got there the hurricane had caused some GM problems, so I picked up two time slots and had an absolute blast runinng them.

The first game was a Missions game with an absolutely wonderful group of veteran players that I had run for a couple years previous. It was my first time running a Missions game, and I would like to thank all of them for being such a great group.

The second game I ran had 3 players in it that had never played Shadowrun before, and were only vaguely familiar with the world. After a brief rundown of the rules, and getting all the players set up with pregenerated characters I ran them through an easy adventure that had a good sampling of what Shadowrun had to offer. They all seemed to enjoy themselves, and at least one of them decided to go buy himself a copy of the core book. =)

RobertB
Thanks to all the volunteers who made the events go so smoothly. Having our own room dedicated to Shadowrun was definitely made of win. Always a pleasure playing SR at DC.

C'mon Catalyst, help your Commandos out and give them access to the NYC source material. smile.gif

Robert (aka Spanner)
Mexican Bandit
Howdy! I would love to hear from anyone with whom I adventured at DragonCon 2008. I played in "Burning Bridges" on Friday at 1:00 pm and in "Ready, Set, Gogh" on Saturday at 9:00 AM as Raoul, the unemployed butler. If you are out there, drop me a line! -Derek
Kai
I'm glad everyone had a good time, still recovering over here but rest assured anyone who asked to be contacted about feedback will be shortly smile.gif D*C has said we are welcome to our own room again next year, hopefully with some chairs and/or space to the side for people waiting on the next slot to ease the chinese firedrill feel of game organization. Hope to see you all next year!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012