Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How big are aura?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WeaverMount
So you can cast spells on people in mil spec armor. You can not cast spells on tank rigger.

Could you cast spells on a horseman pilot? a battle tech elemental pilot? where would you draw the line?
Aaron
Like ten or twenty centimeters beyond the physical boundary of one's physical body. The best authority on the subject is probably your GM.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Jul 14 2008, 12:23 PM) *
where would you draw the line?

Charisma x 10cm. silly.gif
Malicant
The moment your armor starts using vehicle rules your aura should be save. Well, unless it's transparent armor... of doom.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Malicant @ Jul 14 2008, 10:42 AM) *
The moment your armor starts using vehicle rules your aura should be save. Well, unless it's transparent armor... of doom.

Sounds like a good rule of thumb.

Worn clothing or armour: Aura Visible
Vehicle of any kind: No visible Aura (Unless transparent)
W@geMage
Wouldn't looking at the astral auras be blocked by transparent objects?
Stahlseele
yep
Ed_209a
This topic came up a while back. Linky

Here was my take on it...

QUOTE (Ed_209a)
So, hiding in the dumpster protects you from magic, wearing it as armor does not...

Likewise, if you could hide behind an empty suit of armor you would be safe from magic right?

Magic being magic, perhaps the intention of using an object as armor personalizes it, in a way that hiding behind it doesn't. You and the object become a "we", in the sense of "we are going into battle against our foes."

Because of that, maybe your aura extends to cover the object, when it wouldn't otherwise.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Jul 14 2008, 01:43 PM) *
This topic came up a while back. I will edit with the link.

Here was my take on it...

That logic would strongly suggest that a rigger inside, and rigging, an APC would extend their aura to include the entire vehicle. As it does not, I think using that rationale is potentially confusing. A rigger "becomes" the vehicle they're in, and are even more of a "we" than a person wearing armor is.
ArkonC
All this clearly indicates that this is subject to GM rulings...
Our take on it for example: if you wear it, aura shines through, if you sit (or stand, or whatever) in it, aura gets blocked, unless there's a window...
If your GM explains his vision briefly of what he feels is right, I don't foresee a lot of issues...
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jul 14 2008, 12:46 PM) *
That logic would strongly suggest that a rigger inside, and rigging, an APC would extend their aura to include the entire vehicle. As it does not, I think using that rationale is potentially confusing. A rigger "becomes" the vehicle they're in, and are even more of a "we" than a person wearing armor is.

That makes sense too... particularly from the rigger's POV.

Magic is the one topic where I don't really mind if the rules aren't completely internally consistent. Metahumanity's mastery of magic in SR4 is equivalent to the state of electrical engineering in 1825...
Tarantula
QUOTE (W@geMage @ Jul 14 2008, 04:27 AM) *
Wouldn't looking at the astral auras be blocked by transparent objects?

No? Why does glass on the astral block astral sight anymore than it does on the physical?
Blog
In Soviet Russia, Armor wear you!

I view is as cover rules.
To get hit inside a vehicle your subject to blindfire that needs to penetrate the vehicle. Whereas wearing the armor your still you but with some fancy gear.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jul 14 2008, 07:19 PM) *
No? Why does glass on the astral block astral sight anymore than it does on the physical?

Mostly because in earlier versions of SR, glass was explicitly opague on the astral.

However, p114 of Street Magic says:
Items that are transparent or mirrored in the real world (like a car window) simply impair visibility as astral shadows. Since there are no ranged weapons on the astral plane and spell targeting depends on seeing your target, hiding behind physical shadows works as well as hiding behind a vibrant aura.

So it'd only be a -1 to -4 visibility modifier now.
Tarantula
Thanks for making my point for me Mr. U. smile.gif
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jul 14 2008, 12:19 PM) *

Because it is not transparent on the Astral. Non-living objects on the astral plane all look & function alike. A 1cm glass plane is identical to a 1cm steel sheet.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jul 15 2008, 04:42 PM) *
Because it is not transparent on the Astral. Non-living objects on the astral plane all look & function alike. A 1cm glass plane is identical to a 1cm steel sheet.

See Mr. Unpronounceable's post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012