Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapon modification cost question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jack Kain
Looking at the modification rules for weapons they all appear to imply you do it yourself, such as the cost being for the availability of the necessary parts. But assume for a moment the runner team lacks the skills for a to do a necessary modification themselves what would then be the cost pay someone else to do it?

That kinda feels like a huge oversight to me.
DireRadiant
Whatever that person charges. Which is up to the GM.

If you need a number and price, I'd go with something on par with what it takes to buy the item based on availability and cost anyway, plus extra for paying someone else to actually do the work.
Jack Kain
Whatever my DM charges is not a helpful answer smart ass.

For some reason I figured if Unwired can have the costs for hiring a hacker to do a job for the runners then maybe hidden away in Aresnal somewhere was the rules for paying someone else to do the modification for you.

I thought I could compare the cost for the gas vent in Arsenal with the gas vent in in the main book hoping to find some kind of cost difference that could account for someone else doing the labor but no its priced the same at 400. I really would have been happier if I just never read to closely at that part on the weapon modification. As far as weapon modifications go there is nothing to compare them with.

The only real comparison I can find is in modifications is in weapon mounts, Assuming the weapon mount in the main book for 2,500 is the same as the fixed weapon mount from Arsenal which costs 1,500.
We get a difference of roughly 67%, but its actually 66.6 repeating.

DireRadiant
I don't have to give an answer. smile.gif

Consider the costs for renting a kit or shop or facility as well.

I can't find the table of paying others to make my mods either. So you are right! What do I do now?
Jack Kain
Well I'd assume you wouldn't have to pay the rend of a kit/shop or facility when paying someone else to do the job. Presumably they'd already have the equipment and would only charge a fraction of the rent/cost.
But, the cost of the accessory doesn't necessarily correlate to any level to required tools, so we can't just ignore it

Maybe
50% increase for Kit (x1.5)
70% increase for shop (x1.7
and double the cost if it requires a facility. (x2)

I was happier one hour ago before I read that one paragraph,
Considering the only one in the group if Arsenal is myself maybe my GM, myself and the entire team would be happier if I kept my trap shut about the actual rule and we just bought modification like equipment in ignorance.

I have this nasty habit of pointing out the actually rule, wether its advantageous to the party and me or not. I may be kinda a rules lawyer but I'm an honest one. I certainly don't always play by the rules but I like to know them and be sure that everyone knows them before we break them. Or after we break them if it comes up in the middle of combat and I don't want to slow it down. I only bring up rule violations during play if it will save a character from being dead.
Muspellsheimr
There is no guide for this in Arsenal that I am aware of. As such, I have 2 suggestions:
1) Ignore the line saying the costs are for parts only - installation is now part of the listed cost.
2) Put a scaling cost based on the Threshold for installing the item (the more dificult it is, the longer it will take, the greater the cost). Something like 25 x Threshold x Time Increment (in hours) should work well, with a possible x 1.5 for modifications requiring two skills.
JoelHalpern
Or you could just invert the common setup. For computer hardware, for example, it says that parts cost is half the listed cost.
So assume that the listed parts cost is half of the installed cost.
For a rough approximation, that would seem sufficient.

Joel
reepneep
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jul 15 2008, 07:27 PM) *
There is no guide for this in Arsenal that I am aware of. As such, I have 2 suggestions:
1) Ignore the line saying the costs are for parts only - installation is now part of the listed cost.
2) Put a scaling cost based on the Threshold for installing the item (the more dificult it is, the longer it will take, the greater the cost). Something like 25 x Threshold x Time Increment (in hours) should work well, with a possible x 1.5 for modifications requiring two skills.

Thats pretty close to the guideline I came up with.
(20Y x Threshold x Interval in Hours) with a shop requirement adding 50% and a Fac requirement adding 100%

Its a pretty big oversight not to have them in the book...
Does anyone know if theres an official guideline on what skilled labor is worth per hour?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012