Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HMHVV - Vampires, Wendigos and Ghouls...oh my
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Drogos
So I was talking with my GM and he had a question regarding HMHVV. I didn't have the answer, but I said I would try and tap the best source I know of for all things Shadowrun. So here i come with a question (that I'm pretty sure will be answered in Runner's Companion, but with no definate release date and this issue looming on the horizon for an upcoming game, we kind of would like an answer).

So far we know (the questions we have):
1) There are various strains of the virus. (How do they differ? Do certain strains only affect certain metatypes?)

2) Vampires, Wendigo, DzooDrawhatever and Ghouls are results of the virus (Any others? What causes each?)

3) Being a virus, it is comunicable. (How?)

4) Metahumanity is affected by it. (Which ones? Can only certain metatypes have certain results and/or strains?)

5) Runner's Companion will cover most of the rules. (When can we expect that book? biggrin.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif )

6) Vampires are teh hawt. (Can Elves, Dwarves, Orks and Trolls be Vampires? What about Ghouls? Wendigo?)

I think that will do us. Any help is much appreciated. Any points in the right direction is great. As cannon as possible is prefered. Thanks!!
DireRadiant
Ancient Files are an excellent reference.
Prime Mover
Heres specific section. http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/HMHVV.htm

nezumi
BTW, the rules for ghouls are also in the old Companion books. They haven't changed much from 2nd to 3rd edition, I'd have to guess they won't change tremendously with 4th. Consider picking that book up used, it'll be cheap (and theres other useful stuff in there too). I'd recommend 2nd edition, since I like their shifter rules better than 3rd edition.

Also worth mentioning, you can get the 3rd edition Critters book for FREE from... whatever the website is that normally sells books. I'm always reordering it. Again, it's 3rd edition, but what do you care, it's *FREE*. It should give you some good background.

To answer some quick questions
1) There are various strains of the virus. (How do they differ? Do certain strains only affect certain metatypes?)

Yes. They differ based on what they turn you into.

2) Vampires, Wendigo, DzooDrawhatever and Ghouls are results of the virus (Any others? What causes each?)

Ghouls are Krieger strain, different from normal HMHVV. All Krieger infected metas turn into ghouls. In all other cases, what the individual turns into depends on his race.

By blood or saliva.

4) Metahumanity is affected by it. (Which ones? Can only certain metatypes have certain results and/or strains?)

All, as above. Different metas become different monsters.

5) Runner's Companion will cover most of the rules. (When can we expect that book? )

Never! Hahahaah!

6) Vampires are teh hawt. (Can Elves, Dwarves, Orks and Trolls be Vampires? What about Ghouls? Wendigo?)

No, I believe only humans become vampires (have to double check, but AH will set you right). And no, they aren't hawt. This isn't Anne Rice weepy glam-boy vampires.

Wesley Street
A few elves can express as nosferatu but only humans can express as vampires. Dwarves express as goblins, elves as banshees, orks as wendigos, trolls as dzoo-noo-qua, and sasquatch as bandersnatch. There are also different strains in the HMVHVV which create loup-garous, fomorians, ghouls, etc.
Ancient History
I wrote the relevent section in Runner's Companion, so feel free to blame me for anything in there.

QUOTE (Drogos @ Jul 15 2008, 06:19 PM) *
So far we know (the questions we have):

This will all be covered in RC, my site will get you by 'til then.

5) Runner's Companion will cover most of the rules. (When can we expect that book? biggrin.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif )

There's a chat this Saturday. You might could ask then (hint, hint).

It would be cruel of me to leave you in suspense about this. Terribly cruel.
Drogos
I'd love to make the chat, but I have woman obligations...unless I convince her to be there too...hmmm. If someone does not see Drogos there, feel free to ask some of these questions then I'll wait for the transcript. Thanks AH!! (you're an evil bastage for your teasing)
Trigger
QUOTE (Drogos @ Jul 15 2008, 12:19 PM) *

You must not forget about the Drop Bears! Oh no, you must not....
TeaTime
Inoculation (Augmentation, p134) effective against HMHVV?
Would Krieger be a separate Inoculation?
Ancient History
McNope! But McMaybe McLater.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Drogos @ Jul 15 2008, 10:19 AM) *
1) There are various strains of the virus. (Howo they differ? Do certain strains only affect certain metatypes?)

Other than Krieger strain, each strain affects a specific metatype.

Banshee's, Nosferatu, Goblins, & a few more I cannot think of at the moment.

You can only be infected if your essence is reduced to zero by a creature with the Infection power. Out of the base book, this means Vampires & Wendigo's, but not Ghouls.

They can all be affected. Humans become Vampires, Elves become Banshee's, Orks become Wendigo's, etc.

There is no release date yet, but I suspect it will be released (PDF) by the August chat or earlier.

Non-Humans cannot become Vampires. Non-Orks cannot become Wendigo's. Etc. Any metahuman can become a Ghoul (I think).
Nkari
Drop bears.. ohh I remmeber those.. nyahnyah.gif

If you smell eukalyptus.. run.. now!! =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012