Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadows below the depths
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
shadowfire
I was wondering if there was any information about the oceans and lakes of the world of Shadowrun?
otakusensei
Arsenal has the crunch on operating underwater. Other than a few mentions here and there I don't think there are any specific details on underwater locations. You're more or less open to create whatever you want, from small reasearch vessels to underwater cities. It's all well within the scope of the setting.
Ryu
Yes, quite a lot all considered. There are some underwater arcologies, the Proteus Arcoblocks (arcs standing in shallow water), submarine-based pirates... If you want help, you´ll need to specify what you are looking for.
shadowfire
Not much, i was just watching the old Seaquest Tv show when the thought crossed my mind.

I know that my old Gms pretty much said that it was unsafe to go into the water in shadowrun because of all kinds of monsters and such; From sea monsters to water ghouls..
paws2sky
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jul 16 2008, 01:42 PM) *
Yes, quite a lot all considered. There are some underwater arcologies, the Proteus Arcoblocks (arcs standing in shallow water), submarine-based pirates... If you want help, you´ll need to specify what you are looking for.

Where are the Proteus Arcoblocks discussed? I seem to recall reading a snippet about them, but nothing with any real detail...

-paws
FlakJacket
You're best bet for underwater arcologies and bases would be the Third Edition sourcebook Target: Wastelands since IIRC there was a whole section devoted to underwater things.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jul 16 2008, 02:25 PM) *
Where are the Proteus Arcoblocks discussed? I seem to recall reading a snippet about them, but nothing with any real detail...

-paws

The Proteus Arkoblocks (and what they're used for) are covered in the Shockwaves compliation posted on the SR site. I think the actual statistics and a general run down of what they look like is covered in Target: Wastelands.
Stahlseele
i think there will be some chapters dealing with something like this in strange places or however that book for SR4 will be called . . cities of intrigue? feral cities? i can't remember which one is supposed to cover what again x.X
FlakJacket
Possibly, possibly not. Cities of Intrigue is more about locations that feature heavy spying and intelligence operations whilst Feral Cities is about cities where central government has lost all control, neither of which really seem to fit.
Stahlseele
there was one book mentioned dealing with under water arcs and space stations *pouts*
i wanna write-up on ALL space stations including moon and mars bases <.< . .
Sir_Psycho
Like Some-one said, the rules for underwater operation are in Arsenal. So are the boats and vehicles that you'll be using. However, you sound like you need fluff, and you'll need to go back to previous editions to do that.

According to SR2's Cyberpirates - There's details on piracy operations operating in the Caribbean, The Philippines and West Africa. Also Southeast Asia/Australia, The Arctic circle is a good market for drugs and luxury goods, The Mediteranean works too. The book is ultra-specific to pirating operations, and it details fluff on the locales, and the major operators in any given area.

For underwater adventuring, pickup SR3's Target: Wastelands. In addition to rules about toxic zones, deserts and the freezing poles - There's a whole section devoted to the oceans, specifically underwater. It details all the major players relation to the sea. eg. Ares operates on the great lakes and has drilling platforms about the ocean, and defends their interests with warships. A whole bunch of corps have oceanic operations, from mining operations to weapon platforms, to partially submerged japanese hotel/resorts, to deep-sea krill research stations.

Preceding the info in T:W, there's Target: Smuggler Havens, and while the focus of that book is largely on New Orleans and Vladivostok, the sections on the Sea of Japan and The North Atlantic are decent, and there's even a few pages on underwater security.

I'd suggest tracking those books down at stores or online, because it doesn't look like catalyst's coming out with any more fluff-books about that.
shadowfire
i think i have that one somewhere.... never did get around to reading it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012