Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ally Spirit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Joker9125
I had the thought of creating a force 4 ally spirit and setting it free. Upon doing this going on a quest to the metaplanes in order to rebind it. My reason behind this is to get a more powerful spirit with a minimal cost. Along this line would it be posible after I free and rebind it to give it regular free spirit powers such as create wealth and personal domain? if so what are the rules for buying free spirit powers? I have read on this and I havent found the karma costs for them. What is everyones view on this? Is this a good or bad idea?
Jason Farlander
Umm... this sounds like a wonderful way to really piss your ally spirit off. Furthermore, the Ally would no longer be truly subservient, and would likely try to twist the meaning of your orders as well as work indirectly against you (see MITS 115).

I would recommend against doing this at all. However, if you would like to have a more powerful ally spirit without bothering to pay for one, a possibility would be to roleplay having the spirit for a while... talking to it, refraining from overly harsh or demeaning tasks, and basically treating the spirit well. Then, you can set the spirit free, and try and make a deal with the spirit such that it would continue to provide you with its services in exchange for occaisional rewards of good karma (which, incidentally, make the spirit more useful as an ally). That sort of situation would more likely work in your favor, even if it would require a bit more (*gasp*) role-playing and effort.

Joker9125
In that case my chatacter already knows a force 7 free spirit with 3 spirit energy. Can it still add dice to my active skill tests?
Jason Farlander
Free ally spirits retain all of the powers they possessed before they became free... becomming free simply grants them the ability to choose whom to grant access to their ability. As such, you will certainly not ever be able to use the "resist drain" ability, but, if the free ally likes you enough, it can grant you access to its "aid power" ability... Note, however, that aid power is an exclusive action, so the spirit will stop using it if it needs to defend itself or simply desires to perform some other activity.
Joker9125
which active skill can an ally spirit aid in? Can they aid in enchanting and conjuring?
Jason Farlander
The "Aid Power" ability, specifically, allows the ally to function as a power focus.

As per pg. 190, SR3
You may also use a Power focus's Force dice for Sorcery, Conjuring, or Drain Resistance Tests.  Power foci dice can be used for Spell Defense.  These bonus dice may be divided up among the owner's tests each Combat Turn as desired.

So... not useable for enchanting, but useable for most other things. Just be careful when using the aid power ability in combat, especially with high initiatives -- the dice provided by the spirit will "refresh" each time you roll initiative... not each time you act.
Joker9125
Thanks you have been a huge help
tisoz
How they gain spirit powers is on page 116 under uses of good karma. They have the chance when they increase their force.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Joker9125)
Thanks you have been a huge help

Not a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012