Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smartlinks.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dumori
Can hold out have smartlinks I remember reading that they can't but I cant find a reference in RAW as much as I try. Can any one help me with this. As its bugging me.
Cadmus
As far as I know I belive they can, infact all gun style weapons can, smile.gif I have a graple gun with one.

Sir_Psycho
IIRC hold-outs can't accept accessories, so you'd have to buy an internal smartlink, doubling the cost of the weapon.
Dumori
I gather that but I'm almost certain I read that smartlinks don't work with holdouts. Oh well must have miss read.
KCKitsune
I want to know that since Technomancers can code a Complex Form Program for a Smartlink, can a regular hacker do the same? If so then I want to know the cost and availability. Who needs a cybereye accessory when you have it as a commlink program.
Sir_Psycho
By RAW? No.

I'd suggest a smartlink program would be the same cost and availability as the cyberware?
paws2sky
Seems like a smartlink emulator program should be do-able.

As a CF, a smartlink is rating 1. So, as a program, maybe a rating 1 Hacking (its certainly not Common Use). That'd put its cost at 500 nuyen.gif

And... That cost jives with the smartlink upgrade for imaging systems. That upgrade is probably just a dedicated processor running the smartlink program on you glasses or data boxers or whatever...
Tarantula
Looks like paws2sky beat me to one explanation.

Another one is, TMs have a built in image link, commlink, and sim-rig. If you want to get those implants for all of those things, I'd be happy to say you're equivalently equipped, and can run smartlinks off a program instead of a modification to your glasses.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jul 24 2008, 09:35 AM) *
Looks like paws2sky beat me to one explanation.

Another one is, TMs have a built in image link, commlink, and sim-rig. If you want to get those implants for all of those things, I'd be happy to say you're equivalently equipped, and can run smartlinks off a program instead of a modification to your glasses.

Why would you need a sim-rig?
Tarantula
I was thinking 3rd ed for some reason, where it was only implanted, because it required part of a sim-rig to know where your arm was pointing.

Ok, so as long as you have implanted image link and commlink, I don't see why you couldn't buy a 500¥ smartlink program to run on your commlink, impacting your total programs being run and such.
DWC
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 25 2008, 02:11 AM) *
Why would you need a sim-rig?

The simrig feeds the smartlink software positional data on where your eyes are in relation to the gun. In all likelihood it also tracks the motion of your body to help the software compensate for that, though the effect is mechanically insignificant.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (DWC @ Jul 25 2008, 05:01 PM) *
The simrig feeds the smartlink software positional data on where your eyes are in relation to the gun. In all likelihood it also tracks the motion of your body to help the software compensate for that, though the effect is mechanically insignificant.

But then you have people how have no cyberware (Phys Ads) with Smartlink contact lenses being able to use a Smartlinked gun just as well as those with cybereyes.

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jul 25 2008, 08:58 AM) *
Ok, so as long as you have implanted image link and commlink, I don't see why you couldn't buy a 500¥ smartlink program to run on your commlink, impacting your total programs being run and such.

I've got a Chaos Mage with a cyber commlink and cybereyes, so I should be covered. Thanks, that allows me to have a Smartlinked gun without having to "waste" 3 capacity for the Smartlink Eye hardware.
Tarantula
Yes, instead you waste 1 active running program on your commlink instead. Pick your poison.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jul 26 2008, 12:34 AM) *
Yes, instead you waste 1 active running program on your commlink instead. Pick your poison.

I'm running a Mage, not a Hacker. I can afford to run the program. besides if I need to run the Hacker in a Can then always unload Smartlink.
Maelwys
I would think that alot of things would be able to be utilized in this way, not just smartlinks. Need ultrasound? A small emitter, a program running on the commlink, and some sort of image link...Honestly, the possibility is probably endless.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Maelwys @ Jul 26 2008, 09:03 AM) *
I would think that alot of things would be able to be utilized in this way, not just smartlinks. Need ultrasound? A small emitter, a program running on the commlink, and some sort of image link...Honestly, the possibility is probably endless.

True, but a smartlink is just an eye accessory, and an Ultrasound sensor is complete piece of headware.
Maelwys
But it doesn't really have to be that complex. Sure, you'd have to have an emitter and what not, but we're talking about something that can fit normally inside a cybereye, there's no reason you couldn't have a miniature emitter somewhere on the body, or heck, installed in the commlink.

Tarantula
QUOTE (Maelwys @ Jul 27 2008, 01:40 PM) *
But it doesn't really have to be that complex. Sure, you'd have to have an emitter and what not, but we're talking about something that can fit normally inside a cybereye, there's no reason you couldn't have a miniature emitter somewhere on the body, or heck, installed in the commlink.

You can, check the sensor rules... Get a RFID/Micro sensor with a camera on it. (100 nuyen) and an ultrasound enhancement on it (1,000 nuyen) and there ya go. Or, just get the ultrasound upgrade to your commlink's built in camera for 1k. (Just remember it adds +8 to the availability of what you put it on).
Sir_Psycho
If some-one wanted to run ultrasound vision as a vision accessory from a commlink (or anywhere in their PAN) I'd probably require them to have a cryptosense module.
Tarantula
It'd just be a display from the vision from the sensor. Same as looking through the camera in your commlink. You'd either have a display window come up in your imagelink or somesuch that you'd look at. It wouldn't be the same as having it implanted.
Maelwys
I would assume that you could map the two images over each other, using cues from things like tags and what not. Really, computer power in SR4 lets you pretty much do anything.
Tarantula
but the POV wouldn't be the same. I'd say using edit to overlay them or whatever, would take a simple action, and you would be able to blind fire at someone who was otherwise invisible. It certainly isn't going to tie in as being the same as having it implanted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012