Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom SR dice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
Been looking at some of custom dice options from Crystal Caste and Chessex. Right now looking at coloring in to make custom SR dice. (black and white die is what I'm looking at right now, ones in red, three and four blacked out and five and six in blue / as seen on Aarons site) Wondering if these companies would allow use of SR logo as seen on dice in wiki or is there problem with that?

Thought I'd ask before calling them, anyone else had custom dice made? Quality?. At 60 cents a custom face and leaving a few blank might be able to get group to pitch in and get nice 100 set.

Anyone know who made the one in the Wiki pic?
nezumi
I believe the ones in the wiki pic were actually made by FASA waaay back in the day.

I'd be surprised if Wizkids gave you permission to use the image, just because they do a terrible job of getting back to people about that sort of people. However, I really don't think they'll complain either (at least, as long as you don't sell them).

No idea about Crystal Caste though... E-mail 'em and ask?
CanRay
Dice with white pips.

Black Sharpie the 2s, 3s, and 4s. Red Sharpie the 1s. Green Sharpie the 6s.

There, Custom Shadowrun Dice on the Cheap!
coolgrafix
Hmm, you got me thinking.

If I had custom dice made, I think I'd have them be blank on all faces except 1, 5, and 6. Then I'd have the SR "bird-snake" mark appear on the 5 and 6 instead of the numbers (if the logo isn't an option then perhaps some other custom symbols are available like targeting reticles or a "bang" symbol). On the 1 I'd have a sad face.

Is there a link to the custom dice order form?
Nightwalker450
QUOTE (coolgrafix @ Jul 25 2008, 12:36 PM) *
Hmm, you got me thinking.

If I had custom dice made, I think I'd have them be blank on all faces except 1, 5, and 6. Then I'd have the SR "bird-snake" mark appear on the 5 and 6 instead of the numbers (if the logo isn't an option then perhaps some other custom symbols are available like targeting reticles or a "bang" symbol). On the 1 I'd have a sad face.

Is there a link to the custom dice order form?

Don't forget to be able to tell the difference between your 5's and 6's
paws2sky
Kind of need to be able to tell your 2's too.
For when you rush an extended test...

-paws
Zolhex
Well for what it's worth I talked to a Chessex rep at a con he said that he remembered the Shadowrun dice and really wanted to get approval to do them again. I did what I could I pointed him in the direction of Catalyst and Mr. Garner, so who knows now that several other products have been signed to Catalyst they may work to add dice if they don't alreay have that right.
nezumi
I don't think catalyst has the rights to do gaming pieces, only books.
Vairdic
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 25 2008, 02:47 PM) *
I don't think catalyst has the rights to do gaming pieces, only books.

We have rights to do many things... whether they include dice... we'll just have to wait and see grinbig.gif
Aaron
Remember to make the fives and sixes the easiest to see! If the die is dark, leave them white. Color the non-essential faces the same color as the die body. Another color works for the ones, but remember that they should be visible. The dice that are featured on my site (and can be seen with me at conventions) are blue with white pips, with blue Sharpie on the non-essential faces and red Sharpie on the ones. One of the dice in the box I experimented with in green; it sucked against the blue.

To be absolutely sure, follow the W3C's guidelines on color readability. Or just do what I do and follow medieval rules of tincture (including pastels among the metals).
Bull
As a random note, Chessex does do custom dice at some of the conventions they attend. I had some made last Gen Con with my Bull Smiley icon on them. smile.gif

However, they will not do licensed images. So they won't do Shadowrun dice, at least not yet (if Adam's post is any idication wink.gif)

Bull
MaxHunter
W3C's colour readability? WTF? I wanna know more...

Cheers,

Max
Prime Mover
Totally forgot about rushing extended tests. How about red for 1's, yellow for 2's,3's and 4's blacked out and 5's and 6's in green. If did custom set would like to set the 6's apart, too bad can't use logo. ;(
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (MaxHunter @ Jul 26 2008, 02:46 PM) *
W3C's colour readability? WTF? I wanna know more...

Cheers,

Max

It's part of their Techniques for Accessiblity Evaluation and Repair Tools.

The colour difference algorithm is pretty crappy. Try playing around with a readability applet that calculates the colour difference according to their algorithm to see what I mean.
nezumi
On the flip side, you can make your own Shadowrun image, as long as it doesn't use copyrighted images or text. SR and a skull is perfectly legitimate.
MJBurrage
The coolest Shadowrun dice I can imagine would be by Q-Workshop.

Start with the D6 Digital (in black & white)
Modifications:
  • Remove the large 2, 3, & 4
  • Replace the large 5 & 6 with SR logos stylized to resemble a 5 & 6 respectively (the logo is already close to a 6, for a 5, open the tail, and square the head a bit etc.)
  • Keep the small background numbers on all faces
For a Deluxe die:
  • Paint the large 1 bright red
  • Paint the 5 & 6 SR logos bright green

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012