Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Virtual Reality Environments
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
I was thinking about Unwired while watching a marathon of Dexter and thinking of a campaign I am in. What I was thinking about was Virtual Reality environments.

A virtual reality environments could be used for things like creating a realistic hospital environment with different types of medical emergencies. Or for the Shadowrunning community you could also run virtual murder rooms with virtual victims which you can dissect with numerous tools and devices.

What do you think about using internet schools for teaching important Shadowrunning related techniques, in relative anonymity such as killing, forgery, and demolitions?
Cold-Dragon
For things lke that, the matrix could definitely help (this would be finding a virtual instructor really). The trick will be that hiding such a resource has its own small complications, and others miht not be keen on the study in an environment where someone could try to figure out where they are and catch them learning something clearly a nono.

Then again, if it's a shadow school that is only up for a few days anyways, it could happen! More likely it'd be a program/instructor that you can download and then run for training.
Aaron
Are you talking about VR or are you talking about a UV node?
Chrysalis
UV nodes are plot devices, but yeah that would be them.

The Matrix being nearly entirely unwired does not have the tracking issues of today's Internet. In addition, you could have the entire node running on a corporate nexus in a non-extradition country with enough firewall protection to keep out the white hats. Secrecy is only effective if the techniques to remain effective remain secret.

Human anatomy and psychology are not exactly state secrets, while effective passport forging techniques are.

On the other hand the same programs used today (online Grey's anatomy, forensic teaching materials, handbook of industrial chemistry), while each innocuous, together they assist in helping you understand techniques for use in criminal techniques.
hermit
What do you think about using internet schools for teaching important Shadowrunning related techniques, in relative anonymity such as killing, forgery, and demolitions?

As far as I remember, there was such a school in California, even back in SR3 days, and mentions of other underground schools in Loose Alliances (Int'l black cross operated, IIRC). Moving these to the Matrix in 4 is the logical choice. I do hope exactly this is covered in RC with gtroup contacts. If not, it's a cool idea for another group contact type. smile.gif

I'd also recommend matrix combat training rooms, a combat simulator with which you learn how to take a house or sneak past guards, or maybe even a maze-like virtual labyrinth where you have to dodge numerous traps to make it out alive.

IIRC, Matrix had some online games in SR mentioned that could be abused like that. A full-immersion Tom Clancy franchise game sure would make a decent urba combat tactics and firearms school, for instance, and a 2070 MGS game would make good sneaking practice (tghough real guards propably won't pick up playboy magazines suddenly appearing on their route, sit down and read through them (because you read the playboy for the articles, I guess) as they do in MGS games. Hilarity, on a side note.
nezumi
I believe that's the idea behind the Virtual Tutor programs they used to sell. Don't know if you hot-shot SR4 types got 'em though. Bah. Only problem is those dogs are expensive, and the mechanics don't give a lot of benefits for having tutors or appropriate training locations for new skills, but if you've got a whole group learning one skill and your GM put training requirements up, it can be worth it.
hermit
If I haven't missed something in Unwired, they're sprites now.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 28 2008, 02:19 PM) *
I believe that's the idea behind the Virtual Tutor programs they used to sell. Don't know if you hot-shot SR4 types got 'em though.

Tutorsofts? 500 * Rating nuyen, no availability.
hobgoblin
nice way to learn demolitions. you can screw up as many times as you like, just dont bring that habit over to the real world.

on that note, was there not a problem turning FPS soldiers into real soldiers, as they had a bad habit of going blue on blue?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012