Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power-point multiplexing in Ki-adepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Inferno
One of the players in my 3rd edition SR group has built a Ki-adept who "multiplexes" his power points, i.e. he has more powers then his power points would allow, but he can only use an amount of powers simultaneously that "fits" into his actual power points. He claims that there is a canon rule that covers this.

I actually DO darkly remember something of that nature, but I have no idea when or where I came across this. I checked the SR3 core rulebook and Magic in the Shadows, but couldn´t find anything. Maybe this was actually in 2nd edition? I don´t have those books.

If anyone could tell me where to find the rules in question, or even quote them to me, I would be grateful. (Or conclusively debunk that they ever existed, as the case may be).

On a related note: When examining the Ki-adept rules in detail, I noticed that the rules for purchasing power points (20 Karma a point) don´t make much sense. Not only do you risk loosing multiple points when loosing a point of magic, not only does Initiation have additional benefits (Metamagic, fringe benefits of higher magic attribute), depending on how you initiate, it even costs less for grade 1 (self- initiating) to grade 8 (!!!) (group initiating with ordeal).
Does anyone have any proven house-rules for correcting this? I was thinking along the lines of dropping the cost to 15 Karma AND allowing the same rebates (magical group, ordeal) that affect Initiation to apply. Comments?
toturi
QUOTE (Inferno @ Jul 30 2008, 06:57 PM) *
One of the players in my 3rd edition SR group has built a Ki-adept who "multiplexes" his power points, i.e. he has more powers then his power points would allow, but he can only use an amount of powers simultaneously that "fits" into his actual power points. He claims that there is a canon rule that covers this.

I actually DO darkly remember something of that nature, but I have no idea when or where I came across this. I checked the SR3 core rulebook and Magic in the Shadows, but couldn´t find anything. Maybe this was actually in 2nd edition? I don´t have those books.

If anyone could tell me where to find the rules in question, or even quote them to me, I would be grateful. (Or conclusively debunk that they ever existed, as the case may be).
If you mean that he cannot have more points of powers or ranks of which more than his Magic, you are correct. SR3 canon rules allow for adepts to buy more power points which implies that an adept may have more power points than he has Magic, that rule was put in because the rules in MITS for initiation was not available then.
Inferno
QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 30 2008, 12:06 PM) *
If you mean that he cannot have more points of powers or ranks of which more than his Magic, you are correct. SR3 canon rules allow for adepts to buy more power points which implies that an adept may have more power points than he has Magic, that rule was put in because the rules in MITS for initiation was not available then.

I am aware of this rule and its not what I meant. The way my player explained it to me was: Say Max the Phys-Ad has Magic 6 and 7 Power Points. He also has 3 powers A, B and C. Power A costs 5 points, power B 3 points and power C 2 points.
Max can use powers A and C or B and C simultaneously, but not A and B or all three.
In other words, he *knows* more powers then he can actually *use* at the same time.
Ancient History
The closest canon power that allows this is the Infusion metamagic from SOTA64. He might be referring to something from TSS or the Adept Handbook, but if so it isn't canon.
toturi
QUOTE (Inferno @ Jul 30 2008, 09:30 PM) *
I am aware of this rule and its not what I meant. The way my player explained it to me was: Say Max the Phys-Ad has Magic 6 and 7 Power Points. He also has 3 powers A, B and C. Power A costs 5 points, power B 3 points and power C 2 points.
Max can use powers A and C or B and C simultaneously, but not A and B or all three.
In other words, he *knows* more powers then he can actually *use* at the same time.

If he has 3 powers - A, B, C and A costs 5 points, B 3 and C 2, then he has 10 Power points, not 7. He has bought 4 power points assuming he started with Magic 6 and did not lose any Magic. But at any one time he can only have 6 points of powers. Which means he can have:
1) A (5)
2) B & C (3+2)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012