Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to buy next?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanos007
Ok. I have the BBB, GM screen, M&M, CC, MITS, New Seattle, SR Compainion, Sprawl Survival Guide. What source book should I get next? Exclude any new ones coming out.

Thanks

Thanos
Ol' Scratch
Rigger 3.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Rigger 3.

What he said.
Or Shadows of North America. Depending on the make up of your players and how much you want to get your runs out of Seattle.
Mr.Platinum
Yes Rigger3
Req
Uh, depends what you want to do with the game? Not everything is equally valid for every GM.

Rigger3 is great, but it never really was necessary in my group as we haven't got a rigger. Ditto (even more so) for Matrix. But I get mad milage out of Corporate Download/Shadowfiles...

Everyone say it together now...YMMV. We can maybe help you more if we know what you want to run.

Mal-2
The main Rules sourcebooks are: SR3, CC, MitS, M&M, Matrix and Rigger 3. So, if you have any use for them, I'd suggest either Matrix or Rigger 3.

For setting type sourcebooks, I'm not as sure, since I'm currently trying to catch up after a four year break in playing SR. I'd think either Shadows of North America, Year of the Comet, or SOTA 2063. Of those, I only own Year of the Comet so far myself, so I can't provide too much commentary on their relative worths.

Mal-2
JongWK
Matrix is a terrific book. Forget about deckers being "hard to play".

Corporate Download: Gotta love it. Dirt on every Mega.

Dragons fo the Sixth World: Need we say more?
JongWK
By the way, buy Year of the Comet BEFORE SoNA. YotC is a tremendously good book IMHO

Ol' Scratch
Bleh, only if you like introducing sillyness into the game.

Rigger 3 is nice because even without a rigger, everyone can use a good vehicle. While Matrix is really good, too, it's easier to just snag a decker contact and let them handle any matrix work you need done, especially since decking slows down game play (as the GM has to focus on the decker in a world the other players can't appreciate... and while this is partially true for magicians as well, at least they usually operate in the mundane world most of the time).

Of the non-rules oriented sourcebooks, I'd definitely put my money into Shadows of North America and Corporate Download before any others.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Bleh, only if you like introducing sillyness into the game.

Because gnomes are never silly...

YotC adds a sequence of events, cultural info, and SURGE -- which a vocal group of Dumpshockers despise. I see good metahistoricalish reason for many of the SURGE effects, but not quite all.
Ol' Scratch
What's silly about skinny dwarves (standard gnomes)? Especially compared to skinny dual-natured astral-hazing dwarves with feathers for hair and goat legs who spit venom (SURGEd gnomes courtesy of YotC)?
Herald of Verjigorm
The only gnome I've seen played was an explosive expert with a moderate phobia of pain. He purchased a folding titanium shield to cower behind if a fight starts and he can't get far enough away. He sometimes added grenades or rocket fire into the combat.

(doesn't give a proper explination of the character, but I'm having trouble remembering his non-combat psychology)
Req
Actually, I'd suggest you get Universal Brotherhood next.

Oh. Wait.
Tanka
QUOTE (Req)

Oh. Wait.

Good luck.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (Req @ Dec 18 2003, 04:20 PM)

Oh.  Wait.

Good luck.

I think that's his point.
Tanka
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
QUOTE (tanka @ Dec 18 2003, 01:43 PM)
QUOTE (Req @ Dec 18 2003, 04:20 PM)

Oh.  Wait.

Good luck.

I think that's his point.

I know. However, if it entered Thanos' mind to actually try to get it, he'll need some serious luck and funding.
Lindt
Then a body guard, cause wed all be after him... I know 'I' want a copy...
Tanka
I have a copy. biggrin.gif

I also have lots of weapons and know how to use them extensively. *cracks knuckles*
Crimson Jack
Sprawl Survival Guide has some good stuff in it for newbs. If you have players that focus on the roleplaying aspects of SR, then I would consider this a good book for them to look through. If you're in need of inspiration for baddies, you might want to look at Threats and Threats 2 (yay for imps!). As far as source books, I would recommend what the others have with SONA. I found the Tir na Nog source book to be done well, and since I think elves are da bizzomb, I use it extensively. The Lone Star book is hard to obtain, but it too has some really good information in it. Nothing you can't do without, but cool nonetheless.
Thanos007
Thanks. Forgot about Rigger 3. I'm waffling about Matrix. Just started a PC who is a decker (my 1st time as GM running Matrix stuff) and want to see how it all works out befor getting a book I might not have any use for.

Having said all that. Non rules books is what I'm looking for. What the heck is SURGE and why is it such a hot topic?

Thanos
Req
QUOTE (tanka)
I have a copy. biggrin.gif

I also have lots of weapons and know how to use them extensively. *cracks knuckles*

I also have a copy. I found it in the local Half Price Books for $4.99.

The noise I made was rather exciting. eek.gif

SURGE is a weird pseudo-goblinization thing that came along right after the Comet, and turned people into furries and stuff. Personally it doesn't do that much for me, as I'm sure you can tell.
Fortune
QUOTE (Thanos007)
What the heck is SURGE and why is it such a hot topic?

Anime for Shadowrun! ohplease.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
SURGE is the term for any collection of half-traits that become apparent. It is the most variable character alteration yet, you can mix and match functional and troublesome traits much like edges and flaws, or have a chance at getting them by a roll of the dice.

Most of the SURGE traits are throwbacks to previous ages that have been lessened by the inbreeding of races during the low mana periods, a few seem to be there as a result of committee.
Tanka
QUOTE (Req @ Dec 18 2003, 06:03 PM)
I also have a copy. I found it in the local Half Price Books for $4.99.

The noise I made was rather exciting.    eek.gif

Bastage!

Edit: Can't format right! Preview is being st00pid!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012