Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Credit Card Fraud?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Negalith
Credit Card Fraud?

What, if anything, prevents my character from spending a few grand, getting a good fake sin, applying for a credit card and buying $30,000 – $50,000 of legal goods and services, only to abandon the SIN and get a new one? Lifestyle is all legal, right? Live the high life for you and your entire crew for a few months on the credit of one good fake ID.
sunnyside
A good fake ID isn't cheap. Presumably the credit card companies are the type running the high level checks. If it's blown at the least you're out the ID.

But likely you'll just the line of credit (cards are so 20th century). But when you use it much tracing will ensue along with a visit from the Star. (And if for some reason the trace isn't good at least you wouldn't be able to buy the goods and you'll be out the ID).

If a GM wanted to be a jerk they could just have the credit agency run the check a dozen times, effectively breaking any ID. But I'd rather just consider that the sort of thing you can only do a limited number of times if a repeat is allowed at all and let things fall as they may.
coolgrafix
Nothing but your GM. =)

Since everything is RFID tagged in the future, you'd have to nuke the RFIDs after purchase, or they'd get tracked down and repossessed.

Plus, it's been my experience that fake SINs are just not what they are cracked up to be. I've had WAY too many not pass muster. If you read the rules on when and where and what will challenge your fake SIN's rating it becomes clear that fake SINs are NOT long-term lifestyle options. They will get exposed unless you just lay low.
DWC
QUOTE (coolgrafix @ Aug 2 2008, 10:50 PM) *
Nothing but your GM. =)

Since everything is RFID tagged in the future, you'd have to nuke the RFIDs after purchase, or they'd get tracked down and repossessed.

I'd hate to be the repo man sent to go get a furniture set from a guy who kills organised crime figures, mows down gang members by the score, and steals from the most powerful corporations in the world on a daily basis.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (Negalith @ Aug 2 2008, 09:41 PM) *
Credit Card Fraud?

What, if anything, prevents my character from spending a few grand, getting a good fake sin, applying for a credit card and buying $30,000 – $50,000 of legal goods and services, only to abandon the SIN and get a new one? Lifestyle is all legal, right? Live the high life for you and your entire crew for a few months on the credit of one good fake ID.

It's called spoofing a lifestyle, and it's covered in Unwired.

Go for it! (at your own risk) wink.gif
Ryu
- There are no rules for loans in SR.

- A real bank would run a series of background checks. The SIN rules don´t cover that well, but assume that no RAW SIN is able to survive a serious background check. Your local stuffer shack does the really basic checks every time you buy stuff, and their rating 1 scanner kills your rating 6 SIN 3% of the time. Extrapolate from that...

-> There are no good fake SINs in SR. Damn good thing at the RAW price level because of the stuff you could pull.
Cold-Dragon
QUOTE (DWC @ Aug 2 2008, 10:38 PM) *
I'd hate to be the repo man sent to go get a furniture set from a guy who kills organised crime figures, mows down gang members by the score, and steals from the most powerful corporations in the world on a daily basis.

Ah, but you see, who likely owns the credit company in question? Who might they hire as repo men with that in mind?

That'd make an amusing run actually..."So, I have these student loans you see, but I figured, hey, why pay'em back? That's when 'The Professor' showed up....help me?"

*pays runners with credit card/link/thingy*
Zaranthan
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon @ Aug 3 2008, 09:15 AM) *
*pays runners with credit card/link/thingy*

"BWA-hahahaha! Thanks, gaijin! I needed a good laugh today. I deal in certified cred. You know what certified cred is? Give you a tip, omae, it's not on that rich boys' toy you call a link. You get your finances in order, and leave me a message at this commcode. If this 'Professor' hasn't fragged you by then, I'll see what I can do for you." He stands up and strolls out of the bar, cackling about "red cred," whatever that means.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (DWC @ Aug 2 2008, 08:38 PM) *

... grinbig.gif

Repo man [looking up from electronic clipbaord]: "uhh Mr....ah...Trollum, I'm here from Bob's Furniture World to take the Lovely Lounge Suite you purchased last week. seems there has been an...issue...yes that's it, with your ahhh, credit account?"

Trollum: [blinks, scratches belly] "hmmm? You want lounge suite?"

Repo Man: "Yes, the one over by the....the Minigun...and box of grenades...and..."
Fuchs
Get Backers anyone?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Aug 3 2008, 03:22 PM) *
Get Backers anyone?

..sweet. this could make a cool sideline op for a runner group.
masterofm
I would think quite a lot of things can be surpassed (like in RL today,) but probably many high end items are shipped. After a while during the shipping when they realize the ID is fake they just take your sofa and reroute it back to the company. No sofa for you!
Gad Seditious
I've let my players do it before but it takes a lot including a strong decker to cover the trax. I've never let them keep the things they've purchased beyond the run they are on.
Things like good get away vehicles and such. This type of thing becomes a run within a run for them so they gave up on it for the most part because in the end the gain is marginal at best. As was stated in a previous post it is all up to the GM, I love the good problem solving. It makes for a good game but CC fraud isn't something that I think a good shadowrunner makes a career of. Besides that, what this comes down to is identity theft. That's something that takes a lot of effort.
Zak
QUOTE (Gad Seditious @ Aug 4 2008, 08:43 AM) *
Besides that, what this comes down to is identity theft. That's something that takes a lot of effort.

Actually it doesnt, but I see why some won't allow it from a 'game balance' perspective. If you allow easier ways to make money, your team won't run anymore and noone has fun. That's why CC fraud, boosting americars and all the other nice medium profit, no risk operations are usually not allowed in most games.

Just tell that to your players, they should understand it and you don't have to fall back to some deus ex machina that prevents it. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012