Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting adventures to 3rd ed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
count_zero99uk
Hi all im new to here.

Is there somewhere i can look for instructions to convert 2nd edition sourcebooks and adventures to 3rd editon?

Thanks.
Synner
Very few tweaks are needed to update SR2 characters and stats to SR3 and much of the source material is playable as is; though some of the changes between editions were profound (initiative, grounding, etc) they weren't a fundamental shift in mechanics and scaling that would require major rewrites (though the Matrix material undoubtedly requires reworking following VR2).

Converting from SR2 or SR3 to the current edition, SR4, is more of a problem since the core mechanics have changed and the scale of dice pools and stats is significantly different under the new system (as are the mechanics and systems for all aspects of Magic and the Matrix). However, since Catalyst is supporting the new edition there is a handy SR3 to SR4 Conversion Guide available which might might help with the basics.
count_zero99uk
My main annoyance is that there were a lot of good adventures made for 1st and 2nd ed Shadowrun and yet for 3rd the where seriously lacking. Is there any info as to how well supported 4th ed is going to be?
Synner
SR3 had no lack of adventures, but releases reflected the trend for diminishing sales of stand-alone canned adventures. Therefore FASA and later FanPro adopted several different approaches: They introduced 3 in 1 adventure packs like First Run, Predator and Prey, and Missions (this one had 4).They also offered full-fledged multiple adventure/scene campaigns in the format of the original Harlequin with Harlequin's Back, Brainscan, and Survival of the Fittest. They also introduced my favorite format though not necessarily the most popular, the "track-style" campaign books (such as Blood in the Boardroom and Mob War) - this format provided all the campaign context needed to run multiple adventures (ie. main NPCs, organization profiles, timeline of events, etc) but did not come with a scene-by-scene adventure breakdowns usual in canned adventures (instead introducing Adventure Frameworks that while highly customizable and easy to tweak to any campaign, require more work to bring to the table than a traditional adventure).

Shadowrun 4 will continue to release campaign books and the occassional stand-alone adventure. So far we've released a single introductory adventure On the Run (which includes a nod to those familiar with SR2 adventures), and a campaign/setting book (similar to the tracked campaign format above) called Emergence. Our next campaign book, Ghost Cartels, will focus on an underworld storyline and provide a new format that combines the best elements of a traditional multi-stage campaign (like Harlequin) and the track campaigns (like Mob War). We are also planning on exploring canned adventures as ebooks to counter the high costs of production of canned hardcopy adventures.

Aside from all that, Catalyst supports the SR:Missions which is launching its "third season"/campaign arc and has 25+ free adventures available (some of which can be found here). SR:M will be getting a facelift in the coming months and future adventures in the new season will have higher production values but will no longer be free (though the ebooks will likely cost under $5).
count_zero99uk
Thanks for the information.

I must admit i have been out of the loop since 4th ed got announced.

Im wanting to run a nice long campaing starting back in the day and the game has always kept its chronology moving (which is great) so looks like i have some work to do.
Dumori
Off the wall chance but would Catalyst game lab re-release old classic adventure ether in the original format or updated for SR4 as E-books? It just that many are out of print and as I'm new to the game I feel I've missed out on classics that are talked about on Dumpshock regularly.

And as another point how easy is it to change SR2/3 damage codes to SR4 I'm having trouble even with the Core books for both sets of rules.
count_zero99uk
That would be fantastic, however as Synner said earlyer the ammount of work that would be needed to convert. However im sure a community project could cover this easily. But you also have the problem of who owns the rights to the adventures, im not sure if Catalyst have bought the entire IP or just parts.

The other problem in my mind is the change in the prevalance of magic, it seems that the background ambiance of magic went up from first to second and to third edition, i cant comment on 4th. So simply changing the adventures to comply with 4th ed rules may not be enough.

They should just release everything on PDF no printing costs for them and we can get them all smile.gif
Synner
We have discussed the possibility of updating some of the classic adventures to SR4 stats (particularly the ones that aren't metaplot sensitive) but we are on the fence on whether its a commercially sound venture. We may eventually give it a shot once we have the ebooks up and running. We hope to return to publishing Out of Print books in PDF format too in the near future.

Catalyst has the license to pretty much all Shadowrun (and BattleTech Classic) RPG-related properties including older materials and artwork.

The other problem in my mind is the change in the prevalance of magic, it seems that the background ambiance of magic went up from first to second and to third edition, i cant comment on 4th. So simply changing the adventures to comply with 4th ed rules may not be enough.

Despite what you may think at first sight (and aside from the appearance of new magical threats and freak events like the Year of the Comet) magic remains at approximately the same levels as in previous editions. What has changed is that metahumans have a better grasp of the fundamentals of magic and have developed some new ways (or rediscovered old ways) of using it through scholarly research and magical theory. What you will also notice is that that with the new core mechanics. magic has become much more diverse and magical traditions more varied. The Awakened remain at approx. 1% of the population but they are no longer limited to hermetic mages, shamans and physical adepts. With SR4 other magical traditions and beliefs systems have been (rightfully) elevated to the same level as the old standards hermetics and shamans (as opposed to being shoehorned into one or the other, or benefiting from an exclusive ruleset of their own). New magical elements of the setting introduced through the storylines in SR3 like the SURGE changelings and drakes are a very small part of the overall population.
count_zero99uk
The main point for me which pointed at an increase in the background level was the Priority Requirement at char gen for metahumans and magic characters.

Also if you have everything. PUBLISH IT please smile.gif

Also as a side note to get answers from the current developers is fantastic, i just expected to find fans in here, thanks for taking the time to answer an old warhorses questions.
Dumori
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 4 2008, 12:18 AM) *
We have discussed the possibility of updating some of the classic adventures to SR4 stats (particularly the ones that aren't metaplot sensitive) but we are on the fence on whether its a commercially sound venture. We may eventually give it a shot once we have the ebooks up and running. We hope to return to publishing Out of Print books in PDF format too in the near future.

Catalyst has the license to pretty much all Shadowrun (and BattleTech Classic) RPG-related properties including older materials and artwork.

This is brilliant news I'm unsure about meta plot but from what I've heard "bottled demon" and "Dark Angel" are meant to be really good. Well I would buy them always nice to have something in the bag so to speak. I'm unsure of the cost on convert them though E-book would lower this cost and are more practical for me as a GM. I wont lose that smallish book any more as I'll have it on my hard drive its also harder for my nosy player to sneak a look at wink.gif .
Link
QUOTE (count_zero99uk @ Aug 3 2008, 03:03 PM) *
Is there somewhere i can look for instructions to convert 2nd edition sourcebooks and adventures to 3rd editon?

If you have the SR2 rulebook you could always play the modules using their native ruleset. Failing that the chief difference with older modules, as Synner noted, is the matrix. If you want help converting the old system maps to VR2/SR3, throw the specific adventures or sourcebooks up here as you need them. Someone'll help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012