Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WiredWeasel
So, spirits and critters with Immunity to normal weapons are only damaged by spells, adept powers, powers, and weapon foci.
Okay...so weapon foci are pretty much exclusively melee weapons from what I've seen.

So question is, is there anything out there for a non-caster, non-adept, gun-bunny type to use against nasties with the immunity trait? Any special ammo or the like?
Mr. Unpronounceable
They're NOT really immune - as long as (your weapon's power + net hits) > (2x force - your weapon & ammo's total AP) you damage them just fine.

Aside from that there's still that 'test of wills' thing (not that a sammy ever wants to use his charisma as a damage rating.)
HeavyMetalYeti
Cant you still use unarmed combat against them?
MJBurrage
Carve a smile on your bullets before firing them. Works if your good enough and their evil enough. smile.gif
sunnyside
4th edition?

I think I've seen it debated, but it seems elemental effects do their armor halving goodness. Which means that such things are quite effective.
Mr. Unpronounceable
You need a special kind of crazy to bare-knuckle fight something that may very well have an energy aura.

Anyway, not effectively - mundane unarmed gets resisted just as any other melee or ranged weapon does, unless you're going with the 'attack-of-will' thing from Street Magic (and you only have to be meleeing for that, not necessarily unarmed.) So willpower+banishing (no default penalty at least) as the attack, and (charisma)P damage (though the spirit loses it's 2xforce armor.)

So just shoot the bloody thing - you've probably got at least twice the number of dice to hit with, a stick-and-shock will damage anything force 6 or less as long as you hit, or an Ares Alpha (6P DV, -1 AP) + APDS (-4AP) will seriously put the hurt on anything you're likely to run into. (Just remember that the burst modifiers don't help when checking for overcoming immunity)
Stahlseele
but once you ARE over immunity, every modifier applys as usual and puts whatever's on the receiving end of ouchies in a world of hurt
VagabondStar
What if you had "special bullets" that contained astrally present bacteria or algae or something? Kind of far fetched, but would that be capable of doing an astral entity (i.e. Spirit) regular damage?
Rasumichin
I'd go with the usual stuff for heavily armored opposition- Thunderstruck gauss rifles, heavy lasers or burst-modded Barret-121s loaded with AV rounds.

In fact, with the right ammunition (the more AP, the better), even SMGs can hurt most spirits if you aim carefully and pack a decent Automatics DP (i'd recommend wide bursts, some of those fuckers can dodge like hell- an HV mod might be helpful, if your sam can stomach the recoil).

That asumes, of course, that the spirits mentioned are not in the double digits of Force rating.

In such cases, better get a qualified mage or try to get your hands on an Itzcoatl railgun.
The weapon of choice for aspiring dragonslayers should also work against angry Force 10+ spirits.
I mean, it deals 18P, halves Armor and then applies -10 AP.
Too bad it just fits heavy turrets and costs 600 grand...

In case of bug spirits, airburst chem grenades with KE IV insecticide might be helpful, too.
Unless the bugs are too powerful, then it'll just drive them mad...
Flatliner
QUOTE (VagabondStar @ Aug 4 2008, 01:41 PM) *
What if you had "special bullets" that contained astrally present bacteria or algae or something? Kind of far fetched, but would that be capable of doing an astral entity (i.e. Spirit) regular damage?

So your street sam has a magazine of "spirit bullets," like some kind of FAB filled capsules or a reservoir of FAB in a hollow point.

Razor shoots an manifested spirit... and... well.. what exactly?

The FAB has its particular effect, but does the astral presence get through the spirit's resistance such that the bullet has an effect?

There's some tangential precedent for this in wards versus dual natured creatures- the two cannot occupy the same space... so a degree of regular world physics starts to apply, at least when manifest, which might get the bullets to work... maybe.

Anyone have some ideas here?
Shiloh
QUOTE (Flatliner @ Aug 5 2008, 07:52 AM) *
So your street sam has a magazine of "spirit bullets," like some kind of FAB filled capsules or a reservoir of FAB in a hollow point.

Razor shoots an manifested spirit... and... well.. what exactly?

The FAB has its particular effect, but does the astral presence get through the spirit's resistance such that the bullet has an effect?

There's some tangential precedent for this in wards versus dual natured creatures- the two cannot occupy the same space... so a degree of regular world physics starts to apply, at least when manifest, which might get the bullets to work... maybe.

Anyone have some ideas here?

"No additional effect". Magic bullets take Karma to create with Anchoring, hence their expense and rarity. Just shoot it already. Preferably with a decently aimed burst and a good DP.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012