Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Historical Accuracy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
VagabondStar
When historical trids come out where the action takes place before goblinization set in, do you think there is an effort made to keep the cast strictly human? Would that be considered racist by metatypes other than human?

Since the majority of living creatures in 2070s who would watch trideo would never know a human-only world, I am curious about this.

I don't think Shadowbeat made any mention.
Moon-Hawk
Of course this is just my opinion, AFAIK there's nothing official: I'd imagine that, apart from the occasional attempt at rigorous historical accuracy, people generally just turn their suspension of disbelief up to 11. If you see an elf who's pointy ears are covered by their hair style, or a dwarf playing a short person, I would imagine that most people just implicitly understand that you're supposed to pretend that everything is as it's "supposed" to be, the same way we ignore it when people are the wrong ethnicity and speak the wrong language, historically speaking. I'd bet that apart from the occasional human-looking ork playing a big tough character, things are a lot tougher on the Orks and Trolls, though.
Synner667
Well, based on the way Hollywood already rewrites history on a regular basis...
...Historical accuracy [if there really is such a thing] probably won't get much better.

Added to that, powerful/famous people who can get all sorts of things changed on a whim/to get a friend involved/etc [Sinatra used to get his friends [such as Sammy Davis Jnr] roles in movies, regardless of how in-appropriate or accurate such a character would be.

It's almost certain that in a Corp-sponsored world people really will only get the "popular" or "approved" version of events.

Though there will, as always, be those in small groups doing "historical re-enactment" or maintaining the accuracy against the wishes of the mainstream.
hyzmarca
In general, people in the past were shorter than people are today. A dwarf playing Ben Franklin might be more accurate, not less.
Jackstand
Or, perhaps, James Madison- Our tiniest President.
sunnyside
http://frontierbattles.wordpress.com/2007/...olutionary-war/

I presume it's only going to get worse.

Though in some ways the sixth world is less politically correct than today, so they might not bother.
Shiloh
Digital post-processing.

Pointy ears rounded off, but retain those razor cheekbones. Digital scaling for height. It's all doable now (see LoTR); by the '70s your handheld digital camera will be able to do it in realtime.
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Shiloh @ Aug 7 2008, 12:57 AM) *
Digital post-processing.

Pointy ears rounded off, but retain those razor cheekbones. Digital scaling for height. It's all doable now (see LoTR); by the '70s your handheld digital camera will be able to do it in realtime.

And by the way? After spending literally BILLIONS of nuyen on "racially accurate casting," paying the elves to use some of the only un-urbanized green land left in the world, and hiring several mages to get correct effects...

...The 2071 trid "J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings" was THE MOST EPIC FILM EVER.
MJBurrage
Except that the epic LOTR trid would have come out in 2054 & 2055, they wouldn't miss the centennial. smile.gif
Sir_Psycho
Could make an interesting run, if a zealous historian finds out that Napoleon is being played by an ork with a russian accent, he might hire some runners to create an accident on set. Lights camera action.
Jackstand
Hah. Reminds me of Jack of All Trades, in which Napoleon was actually played by a dwarf.
Daddy's Little Ninja
I think it depends how far people go to ssupend disbelief and how good the actors are. George Washinton as a Troll is a bit much, but it might fit Richard III.

To look at a RL example, there was a big fuss in China and Japan when they made Memoir of a Giesha in that none of the principals playing Geishas were ethnic Japanese but Chinese.
In West Side Story George Chakaris, a Greek played a latino convincingly and Anthony Quinn, famous for playing "Zorba the Greek" was half irish, half mexican, not a drop of Greek in him.

so if Wyatt Earp blasts a Clanton gang made up of Orks at Gun fight at the OK corral or and ork Molly Pitcher takes her husband's place in the line or an elven D'artagnon fights the Cardinal's Guards then no one will care.
PlatonicPimp
It depends on if it's a historical peice or a story based on hisotrical events. If it's just a story based on history, racial changes will be made. Othello retold as orc and elf instead of european and moor, for instance, would probably be done.

However, historical peices will be pure human. The kind of people who put those together usually have historical accuracy as higher than any goal. I know the people who run the KC renfest cast based on skin tone and hair color almost exclusively. If you have a tan, you are a peasant. If you have dark hair, you are spanish. If you are black... actually, I don't seem to recall any black cast. They'd probably be made to play moors. This is my experience with re-enactors, and I doubt it would change in the 6th world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012