Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fading optimization
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wasabi
I'm trying to build a TM that uses Threading in the same way that a SR 2 Decker would use 'Hacking on the fly'. The software test isn't difficult its the Fading thats a killer.

I've tried two builds thus far:
* A logic based build with Logic Booster 3, Exceptional Attribute, and Genetic Optimization, and a Genetic Infusion for an additional +1 Logic. Thats 17 Fading dice and costs 125 build.
* A charisma based build with Elf and Exceptional Attribute. This build has a 1 higher resonance but lower stat. Thats 15 Fading Dice and costs 125 build.

I havent been able to find anything that adds to ALL damage resistance tests, and Code sprites using the Probability power only affect skill tests. I haven't found any races that could walk down a city street and get a better Logic than a standard metahuman.

My goal is to NOT BE RELIANT ON MAGIC to boost my stat and to be able to consistently buy 5 hits on the Fading. Thats a goal of 20 Fading Dice. I have a standard 400 base build and 100 Karma. All SR4 books are allowed.

Can anyone think of a way to sustain higher than 17 dice on Fading?
Cthulhudreams
Doesn't trauma dampener really help here? As that effectively mitigates a point of damage, that knocks the fading target down to 16 dice, which you already have.
Wasabi
True. Problem is, the Trauma Damp still results in a minimum of one point of damage so if I use ONLY threading as I intend it still accumulates rather quickly.
Wasabi
True. Problem is, the Trauma Damp still results in a minimum of one point of damage so if I use ONLY threading as I intend it still accumulates rather quickly.

I should've reread Trauma Damp as it DOES negate single points of stun damage. Quite right, Cthuludreams... it helps and it CAN reduce it to zero damage unlike my mistaken reply, above. As it gets rid of a point of damage it is in effect a 3 dice bonus which is squarely at 20 effective dice.

Can anyone else think of anything that would add?
toturi
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Aug 8 2008, 09:41 AM) *
I'm trying to build a TM that uses Threading in the same way that a SR 2 Decker would use 'Hacking on the fly'. The software test isn't difficult its the Fading thats a killer.

I've tried two builds thus far:
* A logic based build with Logic Booster 3, Exceptional Attribute, and Genetic Optimization, and a Genetic Infusion for an additional +1 Logic. Thats 17 Fading dice and costs 125 build.
* A charisma based build with Elf and Exceptional Attribute. This build has a 1 higher resonance but lower stat. Thats 15 Fading Dice and costs 125 build.

I havent been able to find anything that adds to ALL damage resistance tests, and Code sprites using the Probability power only affect skill tests. I haven't found any races that could walk down a city street and get a better Logic than a standard metahuman.

My goal is to NOT BE RELIANT ON MAGIC to boost my stat and to be able to consistently buy 5 hits on the Fading. Thats a goal of 20 Fading Dice. I have a standard 400 base build and 100 Karma. All SR4 books are allowed.

Can anyone think of a way to sustain higher than 17 dice on Fading?

My approach to your problem would be to ignore the damage. Substitute the Logic Genetic Infusion in your first build for Sideways. Sure, you'd fall down flat but until then you are good till the last drop.
Jaid
there are various drugs that improve charisma.
Heath Robinson
With Runner's Companion the option of taking Metagenetic Improvement (Charisma) is available, boosting your natural maximum and base attribute scores by 1. You could also take an Allocation Bond from Unwired to boost your fading pool by half the Resonance of your bonded Sprite.
Wasabi
@Jaid: True but addiction is suuuuch a messy thing. Ick.
@Toturi: When I'll be Threading a couple of times per pass potentially using a soak-and-ignore option isn't really viable on its own. A Dwarf with a Pain Editor or a Logic-based character with Sideways could get away with it though. The risk of .4 ess loss is scary to a submerged TM admittedly!
@Heath Robinson: Wow.... great finds sir!

By RAW would the Resonance Bond (Allocation Bond) bonus round normally?
(allowing a Rating 1 Sprite caught in a Resonance Bond to grant +1 Fading pool dice?)
Rasumichin
When drugs are an integral part of the build, i'd rather choose LOG than CHA.
CHA-boosting drugs have unpleasant side effects, Psyche does not.
Some of them, like Novacoke or Pixie Dust, are also extremely addictive (try rolling addiction resistance with your WIL reduced to 1...good luck).

Psyche is relatively harmless, as long as it isn't physically addictive (unfortunately, the rules don't say squat about that...).

It's expensive, but it is freely available and psychic addiction tests should be a cakewalk with your desired WIL+LOG DP.
Treshold is (2) for stimulants, if you roll 16 dice, that shouldn't be too hard, right?

You could still roll crap occassionally, but that would be so rare you could easily afford using edge against it.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Aug 8 2008, 11:58 AM) *
By RAW would the Resonance Bond (Allocation Bond) bonus round normally?
(allowing a Rating 1 Sprite caught in a Resonance Bond to grant +1 Fading pool dice?)

It should round according to the normal rules, therefore I believe so. You pay for the quality according to the Edge of the Sprite (5 BP/point), which should be equal to their Resonance. I'm no expert on the rules for TMs and other Resonance beings, though.

Taking a Resonance Bond would probably also necessitate that you take the Sprite as a contact, and develop the Sprite itself with your GM if you play this character in a game. On the other hand, it allows you to invest further in your Resonance Bond and access to a reasonable Submersion ordeal.
crizh
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Aug 8 2008, 07:04 PM) *
You pay for the quality according to the Edge of the Sprite (5 BP/point), which should be equal to their Resonance.'

No. A Free Sprites Edge is equal to its net hits on the 'freedom' test plus one.

The rounding question is moot. You can't have Rating 1 Free Sprites. The lowest you can have is Rating 3 and the vast majority are going to be about Rating 9.

(I'm ignoring the rules about burning Edge on the Freedom test because they make no sense. Literally.)

Most freshly minted Free Sprites have an Edge of 1. To get higher than that they really need to to be reassembled a few times or be really, scary gigantic mofo's to start with.
Wasabi
QUOTE (crizh @ Aug 11 2008, 01:19 AM) *
You can't have Rating 1 Free Sprites. The lowest you can have is Rating 3 and the vast majority are going to be about Rating 9.

Interesting... I read it as Edge test = open ended roll so a rating 1 Registered sprite could roll 3 sixes in a row and get free. Then the more I think about it the more I think suppressive fire, also an Edge test, isn't meant to be open-ended without the 'burning' of edge. Good catch, crizh on the rating 3+.

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012