Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paladins and Ghosts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
icharbezol
Okay, now that most of my other Tir questions are pretty well answered, I just thought of some more...

I read something about Paladins and Ghosts somewhere...IIRC, Ghosts are the Tir special forces? Is that right? And who are the Paladins?

Any little bit of info anybody can post on the two?
Ancient History
Ghosts are Tir Special forces types that specialize in SWAT actions.

Paladins differ: some are patrons of specific causes, such as philanthropists; while others are protectors of specific people, like the personal guard of the High Prince, who are bad-ass fuckers indeed.
icharbezol
Thanks, Ancient...and I just found the posts on the Military thread, too...say, you have any thoughts to add on the other thread I've got about the Tir run?
Ancient History
Not in particular. I could go into detail about Paladins and crap, but really all ye need do is pick up a copy of Shadows of North America.
icharbezol
really all ye need do is pick up a copy of Shadows of North America.

So I guess I add that to my evergrowing list of stuff to get...
Ol' Scratch
Don't worry. It's a good investment in the game.
icharbezol
Don't worry. It's a good investment in the game.

Thanks, Doc smile.gif

No worries here, SR has become the sweet spot in my gamers, and I am intent on picking up all I can within reason. Some of the older books are outrageous for what people want for them though! Looks like if it's not SR 3rd I won't be spending the money on it, and the TT book just happens to be one of those I can't really afford. $40 is the cheapest I can find it anywhere!

*edit That's the reason I quit D&D, $40 pricetags on the books */edit
spotlite
forty dollars? US? That's about.. *mental calculation based on vague recollections...* twenty five, thirty quid! Mein gott, that's extortionate. I've seen it second hand here in decent nick for about £10, which is probably about $15 or so.

Shop around. It must be out there cheaper. When you go to another city on holiday search out the game shops and the second hand bins or shelves. It can't be that rare or I wouldn't have got it cos I'm very unlucky that way!

But keep looking. Its really worth it if you need somewhere to scare or entice your runners with. It makes an excellent campaign location as well. We had one based soley in Portland - we just didn't need to GO anywhere else! Then we had a general Tir campaign which was really good too, if dangerous!

*POTENTIAL SPOILER FOR CELTIC DOUBLE CROSS*
We played Celtic Double Cross in Tir Na Nog as well. We never went back there again. Nasty business... Do yourself a favour - any GM offers you jobs protecting politicos in Eire, Just Say No, Kids. The contacts you can make are awesome but you've gotta live to use 'em...

*END OF SPOILER*
spotlite
on the subject at hand:

Tir Ghosts are like 'magically active SAS'. If you've read the London Sourcebook, or know anything about the SAS, you'll know how bad that is if you come up against them. they do much the same job as the SAS too. Special Forces, but officially counter terrorism. Dirty work boys.

One of the pics in the Tir book is of a ghost team coming through some windows. This was supposedly 2053-4 and half of them had lasers, fer the love o'jiminy!

Anyway, that's the Ghosts.

The Paladins as someone said, are varied. Basically any Tir Citizen (possibly a minimum rank or Elf restriction, not sure) can declare themself a Paladin of an ideal or a person, and then dedicate their lives to that thing. So they could be a Paladin of Justice, and join the peace corp, or become someone noble's loyal bodyguard and henceman. In either case, you are afforded privileges by the ettiquette of Tir Society. You're respected and accepted in 'society' as a dedicated individual.

Then there are the Paladins. These are like some wierd initiate/masonic order of hard cases who have dedicated themselves to 'serving' the Princes and the Tir, If you're up against these guys, you have pissed someone off personally, rather than any specific agency or department. Its not business any more, and you are most likely fragged. They have all the assets they need at their disposal including delta clinics, magical support and equipment. The only thing that can be said for them is that there's only a small number of them, though obviously actual figures are unknown. It could be a dozen or fifty, who knows? These guys, although likely people are unaware of them except lurking in the background or introduced as 'aides', will command great authority within the Tir. I'd guess if they showed their ID to just about anybody they would immediately begin falling all over themselves to help because it doesn't do to upset someone with that much clout at the highest level of government.

There's also a rumour of some other agency in the Tir as well, the 'black daggers' No-one really knows anythign about them but its likely they are the elite of the Ghosts which is A Very Bad Thing. One report spoke of a weirdness about the aura of someone suspected of being in the black daggers, and clones were mentioned, though it is unlikely and more likely some early or secret elf version of cybermancy. No evidence either way though, not that I've seen.

That's the gist, or at least everything I can remember off hand. There is no hard out of game data, so everything is subject to interpretation or acceptance by the GM. I've got my own slant and understanding which will have coloured the above so it may be a bit innacurate.
icharbezol
That's the gist, or at least everything I can remember off hand. There is no hard out of game data, so everything is subject to interpretation or acceptance by the GM. I've got my own slant and understanding which will have coloured the above so it may be a bit innacurate.

Thanks for shedding a bit of light. Was thinking about throwing a Paladin against the runners. If so, what sort of stats/gear/etc. you think would be common for them?
Ancient History
Depends on the Paladin, again. If we're talking hard-hooped bastards, then they should include SOTA melee weapons (read: monoswords or the equivalent), firearms (SMGs seem popular), and ceremonial armor (heavy or medium security/military armor designed to look like Ye Olde Plate Maille. Possibly with quickened spells.) Most should be adepts or cybered so much they whirr and clink when they move.
icharbezol
Thinking about a recurring fellow here with this one. Would taking about 200 BP or so to make the Paladin in question be about right? Or think it would be more?
spotlite
No that's about right. Just don't bother allocating any to resources. He can have what he wants. Assume all foci are bonded at purchase. Because they probably are. (replied to your message, btw). Remember its all down to personal interpretation. The info is intentionally hazy, I think!
kevyn668
spotlite Posted on Dec 19 2003, 11:20 PM
*POTENTIAL SPOILER FOR CELTIC DOUBLE CROSS*

Wouldn't worry about, spotlite. The name is more of a spoiler than RA:S wink.gif

about your Paladin stats: I don't have numbers but if you'd good idea of what they can do, think "Ryan Mercury" before Beyond the Pale. Or "Argent". Generally what you would call "munchkin" if it were submitted to you by a player as a potential character... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012