Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Spell that mimics Tailored Pheramones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tisoz
I would like to create a spell that mimics the effects of Tailored Pheromones. The spell will create pheromones just like the bioware does, so the spell description will be similar to the Tailored Pheramone description.

Animal Magnetism

Transformation Manipulation
Physical - actually creates Pheromones
Touch range - must touch subject to tailor it to them
Target Number 4
Sustained - the bioware is constantly putting them out
Force 5 need to specify a Force to learn
Not Resisted by target - Would people who sense the pheromones get a resistance check?
Not an area spell - Though the pheromones would disperse according to the physics of gases.

Major Environmental Change (create matter): Base Drain Level M
Physical Spell (+1 Drain Power) (actually creating something physical)
Sustained Spell (+1 Drain Power) (must be sustained to keep producing pheromones)
Elemental Effect (+1 Drain Level) (the pheromones are having a secondary effect on the environment, and it is creating something just as acid stream does)
Permanent Spell (+1 Drain Level) (the pheromones are permanent, they don't cease to exist when the spell stops)
Touch Range (-1 Drain Level)
Voluntary Target (-1 Drain Level)

Final Drain Code +2M

This spell magically creates the specially designed pheromones used in Tailored Pheromones that are dispersed in the air and subtly influence others.
Each 2 successes on the sorcery test adds enough pheromones to add 1 die to the target's Charisma and Social Skills Tests up to a maximum equal to the force of the spell. This increase has no effect on conjuring or astral abilities and skills.
Dispersion is largely dependent on atmospheric conditions. Under average conditions - for example, an open area with little or no wind - the effect extends from the target in a circle approximately 10 meters/success in diameter. Mild air currents can increase the area covered, but strong winds will disperse the pheromones before they can take effect.
The effectiveness of pheromones depends on the olfactory system of the targets. Pheromones have no effect on individuals with impaired olfactory abilities. Talored Pheromones cannot be detected by standard metahuman senses.
Pheromones are chemical signals emitted by animals. The pheromones can subconsciously affect other animals' behavior. Pheromones are usually used as "presence scents" to establish a zone of dominance or attract members of the opposite sex.

What needs changed?
Ol' Scratch
This should definitely be a health spell, not a manipulation spell. Here's the one I created a while back for my group. And anyone who creates a permanent spell for something like this deserves to be flogged in my opinion.

ENHANCED PHEROMONES
Type: P · Target: 10-Essence · Duration: S · Drain: +1(M)

This spell grants the subject +1 dice for Charisma and Social Skill tests for every two successes on the spellcasting test (to a maximum of half the spell's Force) by magically augmenting the natural pheromone production of the subject along the same lines as the Tailored Pheromones bioware implant. Charisma gained by means of this spell does not affect conjuring, astral combat, or anything outside of mundane social situations. Only Social Tests made while the subject is within (Magic×10) meters of others are affected by this spell. Note that this spell does not actually increase the subject's skill level, only the number of dice used.

Design Notes: Health Spell. Affects Physiology (M Drain), Physical Spell (+1 Power), Sustained Spell (+1 Power), Symptoms Only (-1 Power).
spotlite
Doc's version is closer to what you want I think.

Since just about everything can be a manipulation if you try hard enough, do your best to avoid using them unless it doesn't fit anywhere else. You had to add sustained and permanent to the spell just to make it work, which would suggest to me that it didn't fit in that category really.

The only thing I would be inclined to change would be I'd have it as 1 die per 2 successes up to the force of the spell, because that fits better with spell examples which work this way. It would make the spell more powerful than the bioware by a long way, but on the other hand its magic, so it doesn't matter. imo, anyway.
Ol' Scratch
Only makes it more powerful if you have a Force 10 spell. Anything less can be mimicked with the bioware implant (since Cultured Tailored Pheromones have double the normal effect). At least if you stick with the version I gave. Considering the (incredibly insane) Availability of Tailored Pheromones, I think that makes it a fair trade. The spell is easier to acquire, but the implant has a better effect.
tisoz
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
This should definitely be a health spell, not a manipulation spell. Here's the one I created a while back for my group. And anyone who creates a permanent spell for something like this deserves to be flogged in my opinion.

It started as a Health spell when I started designing it, but when I thought of how it worked It looked a lot like elemental manipulations.

It is permanent in that it creates real pheromones, similar to create food or ice sheet. Those spells create something that remains after the spell ends.

As A health spell my version looked a lot like yours. I even tried it as an illusion, making people only think you were more charismatic.

Since just about everything can be a manipulation if you try hard enough, do your best to avoid using them unless it doesn't fit anywhere else. You had to add sustained and permanent to the spell just to make it work, which would suggest to me that it didn't fit in that category really.

See above about why manipulation. It could be instant duration and create a batch of pheromones, but that isn't like the bioware. The bioware is constantly pumping them out, which is why I chose to make it sustained. I call it a permanent effect because the pheromones that are produced last after the spell ends, also because I wanted to increase the drain because I originally had it as caster only which lowered the drain level.

Thanks for the feedback thus far.
Shadowics
I don't see why the spell would have to actually create pheromones. Humans make and give off off lots of pheromones naturally. The bioware replaces this natural part to make specific pheromones for specific purposes. The spell could just change the chemical composition of the caster's existing pheromones to make them more effective.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012