Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BP verses Priority Chargen...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cardul
Assuming using the option that one can use Positive and Negative Qualities to cover the costs of each other for Priority Chargen, how do people think the Priority Chargen characters compare to Build Point Chargen characters? Are similarly built characters actually similar? or are tehy way different? Does Priority Chargen give characters something better then Build Point? Or is it weaker in key areas then Build Point?
Cardul
So..does this mean that no-one actually has an opinion, unlike the Runner Companion Thread that has turned into nothing but complaining about Karma-gen?
ElFenrir
Personally, I find Priority Chargen characters weaker in some ways, but a little bit better in the others, from the bit I've toyed with it. (For the record, I love the karma chargen...it's sort of been just what I've been wanting for my table.)

The Heritage, for instance, gives you special attribute points...so even picking a D heirtage gives you a special point to start with, which means any mundane human will probably be starting with an Edge of 3. Taking magic A guarentees you 9 spells right off the bat, and a 5 magic. Again, playing a human? Unless you want the 3 edge, you can have a 6 magic, 9 spells, right out the door.

However, in the skill and attribute areas...I find priority quite lower...in a way. All start a 1 in Attributes, and in A you get 20 points to distribute(allowing 4/4/4/4/3/3/3/3...which is what you can get form 200; I would have expected at least 4's across the board(like you could get 5's in the old priority system, but I'm sure they had their reasons for this, so that's ok.) But...you don't need to pay double for that max point...allowing someone to hardmax an attribute rather easily. Add this to an Exceptional Attribute quality...yeah. Basiclaly, for the folks who like those ''ubermax, don't care about anything else builds'', this opens up a whole room.

You increase Skill Groups at the same way as Skills(everything is 1 for 1, ...but this means, if you want that ''jack of all trades'' you need to take skills higher...because you are very much limited to your skill groups...which again, IMO, tends to favor the folks who like to jack single skills up. (You know, I'm reading this and I don't see how specializations work...is it 1 skill point for a specialization?)

I'm getting the feeling, from my initial impressions, it's for folks who really like a focused character. It seems to be rather good at building a narrow-focus character but not so hot at building a broad-spectrum one that's not spread too thin, but I'll have to play with it more to see. So far, it seems:

BP=For a more fiddly chargen that sort of doesn't favor either or....leaning a bit more toward a speciality with a small amount of rounding.
Karma-Very well-rounded characters, folks who like their 3's and 4's with a helping of 2's and 5's. Also for folks who are really into their Knowledge/Language skills.
Priority: More narrow-focused characters.

This could change over time. The Karma system as is in the book so far is my favorite.

Cardul
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Aug 13 2008, 05:14 AM) *
However, in the skill and attribute areas...I find priority quite lower...in a way. All start a 1 in Attributes, and in A you get 20 points to distribute(allowing 4/4/4/4/3/3/3/3...which is what you can get form 200; I would have expected at least 4's across the board(like you could get 5's in the old priority system, but I'm sure they had their reasons for this, so that's ok.) But...you don't need to pay double for that max point...allowing someone to hardmax an attribute rather easily. Add this to an Exceptional Attribute quality...yeah. Basiclaly, for the folks who like those ''ubermax, don't care about anything else builds'', this opens up a whole room.

Wait..you mean you do NOT start higher then 1 in your attributes if you are a Metahuman? All you get his higher maxes, a vision enhancement, and the little extra for Trolls and Dwarves?
ElFenrir
Oh, you do start with that, sorry. I mean to say ''Minimums for Race''. I always say ''1'' due to human. I apologize for the confusion. You start with the racial minimums(and Metahuman costs a Priority...A and B come in with ''Any Metatype'', C is ''Dwarf/Ork.'' Yes, so the races which get the MOST bonuses with the least minuses are indeed still cheap. So you could take Elf or Troll or another Metatype as A or B, but you get more Heritage points(for special attributes) to use in A than B. You CAN be an Ork or Dwarf in A, B, OR C as well; and you get more or less points for that...but you cannot be one of the other metatypes in the book, and Elf or a Troll at C.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012