Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A question about Mesh Tags.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Oenone
I was randomly plotting ideas for sneaky Hacker/TM tricks while reading the Runner tips bit of RC when the idea of putting mesh tags in someones food hit me. From all the examples about how small RFID tags are it implies you can quite easily swallow some.

The question is then, would this allow you to hack someones wireless enabled implants from a longer range via the tag? As most cyberware has a signal for 0, while the Mesh Tags have a rating of 2. Which should in theory make hacking them much easier.

I'm sure there are flaws with the idea I'm missing, so if anyone has any thoughts on why it might work/fail then by all means share!

It does of course have limitations, you need access to someones food and for them not to notice (And indeed for the Mesh Tags themselves to be small enough to swallow without noticing). Which means it's not a trick you can pull without planning ahead.
Samaels Ghost
Or hit them with a spray of RFIDs via grenade or otherwise. I think one of the security measures sites sometimes use includes sprays of RFID tags and UV paint among other things.
Wasabi
It'd be easier to hit them with a drug like the mini-Laes toxin "Leal" mixed with DMSO so it turns the Leal into a contact vector. Against a Body 20+ target it still erases 100min of memories and knocks the target out (if not fully resisted presumably) for 5-30min. At nuyen.gif 180 plus the DMSO and capsule round it isn't cheap but if you want to hack them the easiest way is an unconscious target that cant even remember you if a mage with Mind Probe burns Edge to grab the memory from his mind. (Arsenal, pg76, under the entry for "Laes")

With rating 1 Nanocarcerands you could even redrug the target and use a wireless signal to put him back under but it'd be costly.
Oenone
The trouble with knocking someone out is you need to get them alone, drug them and hack without being caught with an unconcious person. Plus most people will notice if they have a large memory gap and wake up with traces of drugs in their system.

The idea itself was more about gaining control of someones implants without taking any overtly hostile action. Which is why I left out grenade spraying etc. (Although I guess you could use a micro drone and spray their clothing like a tiny little crop duster).

And in terms of cost the Mesh Tags only cost 2 nuyen per dose. So they're cheaper than just buying the DMSO, let alone capsule rounds or Leal.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012