Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: netgames
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
wind_in_the_stones
I need a list. Throw some names at me. I'll start...

Sand Blast (Desert Wars FPS)
The Legend of Kermit
Foreverquest
The Ho Chi Min Trail
NearEarth

The houngan next door to my Sims family destroyed their house, then they got eaten by ghouls.

Grand Theft Auto 43 is played in AR, isn't it?

And what sorts of games are popular?

Whattaya got?
stabs
Duke Nukem Forever.
hobgoblin
there is a AR game listed in the BBB.

found it, miracle shooter, page 322.

also noticed that page 321 lists some virtual reality game titles wink.gif

oh, and i suspect any AR version of GTA would be branded something shadowrunner related...

seems shadowrunners have a bit of the same status as cold war spies.

their exploits are exagerated in entertainment, and nobody really knows who they are.
JudgementLoaf
World of Starcraft

Im getting the feeling that MMO's / FPS's would be ridiculously popular given AR.

RTS's would also probably stick around. AR tactics games played with progressively shorter and shorter game times for the appropriately shorter attention spans.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (stabs @ Aug 14 2008, 10:22 PM) *
Duke Nukem Forever.

It isn't out yet.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (JudgementLoaf @ Aug 15 2008, 08:14 AM) *
World of Starcraft

Im getting the feeling that MMO's / FPS's would be ridiculously popular given AR.

RTS's would also probably stick around. AR tactics games played with progressively shorter and shorter game times for the appropriately shorter attention spans.

hell, given how it seems some love to play starcraft and warcraft 3 with the speed setting cranked to max, i would say "normal" even today.

kinda like speed chess i guess wink.gif
GreyBrother
Hmmm an AR Strategy War Game...

Like... your Vision is overlayed with your Troops and Stratagems. The Slogan would be like "Protect/Destroy your Hometown against those wacky Salish!"
hobgoblin
i suspect any modern day general would love a interface like that wink.gif
GreyBrother
I am quite sure that there exists something similar but less sophisticated. I thought something like Endwar mixed with that other game... where the Russians invade the US.... ah yes World in Conflict.
Wesley Street
Electronic Ninjas!
Rocky Mountain Avatar!
Glitterworld! love.gif

*swoon*
Kerris
Given that AR is rather unobtrusive, I'd actually guess that small casual games would be very popular. You know, waiting for the subway or the bus, you just pop up a little game of Solitaire, or Bejeweled, or something more Sixth World oriented. Something lightweight and easy to jump in and out of at a moments notice.
CanRay
The Shadowrun MMORPG.

Actually, one of my PCs has his Shadowrun Guild as a Contact.
paws2sky
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 15 2008, 11:24 AM) *
The Shadowrun MMORPG.

Actually, one of my PCs has his Shadowrun Guild as a Contact.

That's awesome. smile.gif
Johnny Jacks
QUOTE (stabs @ Aug 14 2008, 10:22 PM) *
Duke Nukem Forever.

Sorry, that's been pushed back again and is currently slated for the Fourth Quarter of 2072.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Johnny Jacks @ Aug 15 2008, 01:50 PM) *
Sorry, that's been pushed back again and is currently slated for the Fourth Quarter of 2072.

As I said, it isn't out yet. They did release a new Teaser in December 2069 though.
Not of this World
Target: The Matrix

had some actual game names and descriptions in them. Basically playing Earthdawn the MMO, a Paranormal animal shooter/frag fest, and some other virtual worlds (awakened second life?).
HeavyMetalYeti
Metal of Honor XXI Desert Wars edition.
wind_in_the_stones
Good stuff.

Thanks Hobgoblin. I knew there were some games listed in the books somewhere, but forgot it was the BBB. Here's the list from there:
Miracle Shooter
Ultra Mario
Dunkelzahn's Quest XII
Sahara Soldier
Shadowrun MMORPG
SimCIV
EuroWar 2032
Final MageCraft

I'm sure real-time strategy games will be huge, with everyone and his sister playing armchair general for every conflict that ever happened and involved more than 100 troops. Not to mention historical FPS, to put you in the action. Can you do better than these real-life heroes and villians?

Kerris, I bet you're right about AR games. I can see people sitting on park benches air-shuffling and dealing AR solitaire. Or maybe spinning a Rubik's hypercube. Or guiding floating discs into trumpet-like receptors... oops, sorry. ST:TNG flashback.

CanRay: Actually, one of my PCs has his Shadowrun Guild as a Contact. In our last campaign, we had a couple of characters getting nearly enough Public Awareness to have their own Shadowrunner fan guilds. wink.gif

Target: The Matrix had some actual game names and descriptions in them. Basically playing Earthdawn the MMO, a Paranormal animal shooter/frag fest, and some other virtual worlds (awakened second life?).
Any names?

Thanks to all! Fun! Any more ideas?

DocTaotsu
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Aug 15 2008, 01:16 AM) *
It isn't out yet.

Oh whatever! They just released a new teaser trailer last week at E3 2071! It'll be out next year for sure this time!

I also heard they have John Romero's brain in a box and Renraku is using it to work on a Daikatana sequel!
DocTaotsu
I think there could be some simsense based entertainment that borders on BTL. Something like Lumines where your actions synchronize with the sound, the images, and now the emotion track being piped into your brainstem.

Lots of psychedelic colors and crazy 3D settings.

Probably not safe to play in AR.
Kermit the Trog
In the original Seattle sourcebook it had the old FASA virtual worlds on almost every corner. I can just see virtual battletech still going strong.
Fabe
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Aug 15 2008, 11:22 PM) *
Or guiding floating discs into trumpet-like receptors... oops, sorry. ST:TNG flashback.

You know that episode could make a good adventure; A criminal group or corp(no difference really) puts out a new game that slowly jacks up the simsense utile it reaches BTL levels, once the game senses a person is approaching their threshold it dials back the simsense, the only way to get more it to buy the latest "version".
As for games played in 2072, I bet those Japanese "Dating" sims are just a popular of not more so with the advent of Full VR and simsense.
hobgoblin
who needs dating sims when one have virtual girlfriends (its in the BBB, p322, virtual person ARE software) silly.gif
Fabe
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 16 2008, 12:58 AM) *
who needs dating sims when one have virtual girlfriends (its in the BBB, p322, virtual person ARE software) silly.gif

True,but I bet a lot of people still want the whole story/RPG experience that comes with the game,but I can see a link between the two,after you finish the dating sim you can up load the data to a virtual person ARE and continue the "relationship" after the game is over.
hobgoblin
or basically have the game set up with multiple virtual persons and so on...
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 15 2008, 11:58 PM) *

1. Thrill of the hunt.
2. Competition.
hobgoblin
hunt? yea right...

competition? thats what bubba the hired love troll is there to take care off...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (stabs @ Aug 15 2008, 01:22 AM) *
Duke Nukem Forever.

This is IMO the most correct answer.

I remember back around, was it '97 or '98, it was popular to make jokes about Duke Nukem Forever never being released?

The way I see it, the joke shouldn't get less funny with time like most jokes do because of the oversaturation effect. This joke should continually get more funny with time because Duke Nukem Forever continues to get increasingly late. Whenever someone makes a Duke Nukem Forever joke I think for about half a second about how many times they probably had to completely redo the graphics/engine for that game and then I burst out laughing. It's the sort of pathetic self-deprecating humor your might expect from a Charlie Chaplin film.

When I encountered a Duke Nukem Forever joke in the Deus Ex mod Redsun 2020, it nearly brought a tear to my eye. And I felt the burning desire in my heart that we should NEVER stop making Duke Nukem Forever jokes.
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (Fabe @ Aug 15 2008, 11:47 PM) *
A criminal group or corp (no difference really) puts out a new game that slowly jacks up the simsense utile it reaches BTL levels, once the game senses a person is approaching their threshold it dials back the simsense, the only way to get more it to buy the latest "version".

Good idea. I'm sure plot lines could be created around a lot of variations on this theme. And I bet a lot of games are found to have BTL levels of sim, accessible to players by a "cheat" code.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012