Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Qualities
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CanRay
Night Job
Bonus: 5 to 15 BP
A Night Job burdens a character with responsibilities and time constraints, just like Day Job, however the occupation is on the Shadow-side of life. While there are some advantages, such as stable income, a Night Job is a hindrance with the shadowrunning profession. The list below offers guidelines for salary and hours, but can be higher or lower based on the character's action and knowledge skills (Example: A Street Doc will get more than simple Street Muscle). The gamemaster and player can work out actual restrictions and hours of the character’s profession. The character does not need to possess a SIN.

Night Job:

5 BP - 500¥/Month - 10 Hrs/Week
10 BP - 1,500¥/Month - 20 Hrs/Week
15 BP - 2,500¥/Month - 40 Hrs/Week
tsuyoshikentsu
Awwww. Cute. I like it.
CanRay
Well, one of my character's, Doctor McCoy, works for Sam's Surgery and Deli as a Street Doc.

It pays for his Back-Up Lifestyle, and comes with Health Care Benefits, but takes up a good deal of time.
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 18 2008, 05:25 PM) *
Well, one of my character's, Doctor McCoy, works for Sam's Surgery and Deli

Please, please tell me that's a ghoul restaurant.
CanRay
Nope, Kosher Deli. It's in my stories. (See my Sig for more details. Doc McCoy makes a few appearances with permission of his Player! biggrin.gif)
DocTaotsu
Hehe... that's pretty cool. Good way to balance and hand wave all those side jobs players dream up to get them a little extra scratch.
CanRay
Yep. Worse case scenario, you're a "Day Labourer" for some small Corp that needs Manpower NOW!
DocTaotsu
Oh god... a runner who is also a call center worker?

Jesus... how do they NOT suck start their own pistols every night.
CanRay
Actually, I've already told the guys in my group about the SINless Call Centres and the jobs they do.

I can see a Hacker doing Tech Support. nyahnyah.gif

Or even a Street Samurai.

"OK, I had this issue happen to me before. You have to unjam the caseless round from the chamber." "I KNOW THAT!" "Taking that tone with me won't help you. Now, the book says you gotta strip and clean, but we know you don't have time for it. So, take a small glasses screwdriver..." "LIKE I CARRY A SCREWDRIVER!" "Start. OK, you can use a nail or nail file and..."
DocTaotsu
Wow I think this meshes well with my old post about "Worst Sixth World Jobs" smile.gif
CanRay
Well, what kind of jobs do you think you'll get without a SIN?

"OK, McCoy, you have Pox duty today." "AWWWWWWWWWWWWW..." "Pox Duty?" "Yeah. STD check-ups on JoyGrrls and JoyBois. It isn't pretty."
HeavyMetalYeti
"Just turn your head and cough."
DocTaotsu
But the funny thing was, when he put the pill in, he had both hands on my shoulders...
Dyspeptic
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 18 2008, 09:29 PM) *
Actually, I've already told the guys in my group about the SINless Call Centres and the jobs they do.

"OK, I had this issue happen to me before. You have to unjam the caseless round from the chamber." "I KNOW THAT!" "Taking that tone with me won't help you. Now, the book says you gotta strip and clean, but we know you don't have time for it. So, take a small glasses screwdriver..." "LIKE I CARRY A SCREWDRIVER!" "Start. OK, you can use a nail or nail file and..."

"Thank you for calling 1-900-Shadowtech Support hotline, only 25 nuyen per minute! Please listen carefully as our options have changed...
If you are experiencing a weapons malfunction with an assault rifle or smaller firearm, please press 1.
For troubleshooting issues concerning heavy weaponry, press 2
If you have questions about Maglocks and biometric security systems, press 3.
For assistance with overriding Matrix security features, press 4.
If you are having vehicle (ground-based) trouble, not relating to weapons damage, press 5 for our Emergency Road Service.
For information on defending against Magic-based opposition, press 6.
For information other paranormal threats, press 7.
If you require immediate medical attention, please press 8 to be transferred to the DOCWAGON hotline.
For additional options, press 9..."

That would be freakin' hilarious...
krakjen
Hoo, very nice quality. I'll keep it.

And the crappiest job in the sixth world is definitely security agent...
For that moment you see some shadowrunner acquaintances showing up.
Shadowrunners well known for their inconsiderate use of heavy weapons and other explosives-based devices.
And sometime also flamethrowers and white phosphorus, for the kick of it...
ravensoracle
Shiny, that is perfect for a character I am helping one of my players create. In fact he is suppose to be a tech wiz so the Call Center is gonna be the job for him.

In fact he could probably telecommute for the thing to free him up for runs. But wouldn't that be hilarious.

"Dude, common we need that lock bypassed. Hurry up!"

"Ok, I am working as fast as I can this one is high grade, sheez." Incoming call, "Crap....Welcome to Shadowtech, how can I help you this evening...."

"Man you are not answering a call in the middle of a run are you?!"
BRodda
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 18 2008, 09:29 PM) *

Watching the Shadowrun video on YouTube made me wonder, can a call center help debug you gun if it breaks on a run? Not "offical" tech support, but can a Sam do an AR debug and fix of the mages gun it it gliches during a run? The mage would just have to turn the wireless link back on and add it to his PAN and then subscribe the Sam's comlink.
BRodda
QUOTE (Dyspeptic @ Aug 19 2008, 02:50 AM) *
"Thank you for calling 1-900-Shadowtech Support hotline, only 25 nuyen per minute! Please listen carefully as our options have changed...
If you are experiencing a weapons malfunction with an assault rifle or smaller firearm, please press 1.
For troubleshooting issues concerning heavy weaponry, press 2
If you have questions about Maglocks and biometric security systems, press 3.
For assistance with overriding Matrix security features, press 4.
If you are having vehicle (ground-based) trouble, not relating to weapons damage, press 5 for our Emergency Road Service.
For information on defending against Magic-based opposition, press 6.
For information other paranormal threats, press 7.
If you require immediate medical attention, please press 8 to be transferred to the DOCWAGON hotline.
For additional options, press 9..."

That would be freakin' hilarious...

That would be frigging profitable. Might just need to gank that to use in my game.
Bearclaw
Don't forget high-threat pizza delivery.
CanRay
THE DELIVERATOR!!!
DocTaotsu
Because at the end of the day there are only a few things the UCAS does better than the rest of the world...
tsuyoshikentsu
Well, I can tell you it's not pizza. No more chicago, remember?
DocTaotsu
What... California survived so we still have California Pizza Kitchen which is TRULY the best pizza around.

Mmm! Goat cheese!

*Takes cover behind something HEAVY and thick*

I kid! I kid! Seriously Chicago pie is fanfuckingtastic (I think it should probably be reclassified as casserole shaped pizza but still) although NYC does throwdown on some good pizza as well. CPK is not really pizza, it's just some stuff the earnest hippies of Cali thrown on bread to feel trendy. The thai chicken pizza is pretty good though.
CanRay
California is a Free State now anyhow, it's not part of the UCAS.

Last thing they expected the US Goverment to say was, "FINE! Piss off! We have bigger things to deal with right now!" when they threatened to leave the Union. nyahnyah.gif
paws2sky
Heh. Gimme California-style, Chicago-style, New York-style, whatever its all good. Just no meats please, gimme the veggies!

Getting back on track...

There's this thing around here called Cafe Courier (might be out of business by now, who knows). You call them, place an order from any number of local restaurants, they call the restaurant and place your order for you, then they go pick up the food and deliver it to your home or business. They charge a service fee to cover their expenses.

Could be amusing to have something like that in SR.

CanRay
*Headdesk* Don't remind me of those places...

The one back home was universally hated by every restaurant they dealt with back home.

The horror... THE HORROR!!!
paws2sky
Oookkkkaaayyy, I guess it wasn't a local thing then, huh?

-paws
CanRay
No, they're all over the places. Some are run well, others...

Well, let's just say that the faxed orders we got all the time (USUALLY at the worst times possible) didn't match up with the Driver's Order, and he'd tie up the Drive-Thru while we fixed their screwup.

Also, they ignored important things like us constantly telling them certain equipment at the store was broken or non-existant at our store, yet still sent in orders to us all the time for same.

Finally, having a fax come in demanding, and I kid you not, 28 meals with ten minutes warning during the busiest night of the year... And I was left all alone to handle the preparation and bagging of it while the rest of the staff was handling the in-coming crowd. Oh, and that was the night I wasn't allowed to leave because it was over-busy and the medication I was on at the time had run off, and I couldn't take any more until the next day. (Withdrawl symptoms anyone?).
cryptoknight
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Aug 19 2008, 12:14 PM) *
Heh. Gimme California-style, Chicago-style, New York-style, whatever its all good. Just no meats please, gimme the veggies!

Not without meat it isn't... Pizza = Dough + MEAT + sauce + cheese + misc optional other things.
Tarantula
I work tech support. My next hacker I play will have dayjob, and will do tech support remotely. (Though, if hes careful, this might give him a free backdoor sometime.)
paws2sky
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 19 2008, 01:50 PM) *
Not without meat it isn't... Pizza = Dough + MEAT + sauce + cheese + misc optional other things.

Clearly, we disagree.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Aug 19 2008, 01:00 PM) *
Clearly, we disagree.

Of course... long as you don't claim to be from Chi-town... I can let it slide... else... well I might have to talk to my corporate johnson to get a fixer... to well... best not speak of such things
paws2sky
Oh no, I'd from father East. I've had Chicago pizza though and it was very good. (I just don't enjoy meat any more.)

-paws
DocTaotsu
A chi-town pizza without meat is one sad sad pizza I'm afraid.

Although I do like veggies on my pizza's, bell peppers, jalapenos, onions... mmm...

Goddamn you Japan for not making a decent pizza... goddamn you.
Dumori
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Aug 19 2008, 11:46 PM) *
Goddamn you Japan for not making a decent pizza... goddamn you.

But Japan make up for it with other nice foods. Plus if you love pizza that much make your own. nyahnyah.gif I do when i can/ have the time.
DocTaotsu
Bah, Japan's delicious food is outweighed by the fact that it's basically the only game in town. I'm sure I'll be hurting for soba and bento out the wazoo when I get back stateside but...

2 years! 2 years of Pizza Hut. It burns!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012