Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about SURGE & Erased
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KCKitsune
OK I've got a question about SURGE and the different levels: Does the level of Macro physiological change equate to SURGE level? For example the list below:
  1. SURGE Level 1: Cat like irises
  2. SURGE Level 2: Cat eyes + Cat Ears + cat tail
  3. SURGE Level 3: Anthropomorphic cat

Does this sound about right or are macro changes just what can happen with the negative qualities?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second question: I know this pushing it, but can you get Erased and SINner at the same time? Nothing says that you can't do it, but...

I would say no, but I would like to know what other people think.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Aug 20 2008, 10:22 AM) *
Second question: I know this pushing it, but can you get Erased and SINner at the same time? Nothing says that you can't do it, but...

Of course. In fact, it is extremely useful as even crimes linked to your real SIN will disappear.
Muspellsheimr
Erased description includes not having what you desire to keep removed. Meaning, you can maintain a SIN, real or fake, with no downsides. Only what you want to disappear, disappears.

With SURGE, as many of the traits have no physical representation (at least not appearance-wise), I have been under the impression that the level of SURGE determines your minimum level of change, but not what type of change. In other words, you can be a Class III SURGE with no altered physical appearance.
DV8
Off-topic: I hate SURGE so so so so much. Ahem. Sorry. Resume. smile.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (DV8 @ Aug 20 2008, 04:47 AM) *

Why do you hate SURGE so much? Is it too Munchkin for you or is there something else?
cryptoknight
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Aug 20 2008, 04:27 AM) *
Why do you hate SURGE so much? Is it too Munchkin for you or is there something else?

I'm starting to feel that way myself...
KCKitsune
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 20 2008, 10:31 AM) *

You and DV8 also got to remember that ALL the Advanced character types in Runner's Companion have the Distinctive Style flaw and don't get any bonus points for it:

QUOTE (Runner's Companion pg 103)
All the advanced character options in this book automatically sufer the efects of Distinctive Style and do not get a BP bonus.

The GM can decide that your Vampire or Centaur 'Runner has "Distinctive Style" at level 3 or 4. That makes your character a LOT easier to find.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (DV8 @ Aug 20 2008, 09:47 AM) *

Why Do you hate America so much?
Rasumichin
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 20 2008, 02:31 PM) *

SURGEd?
HappyDaze
You and DV8 also got to remember that ALL the Advanced character types in Runner's Companion have the Distinctive Style flaw and don't get any bonus points for it:

QUOTE (Runner's Companion pg 103)
All the advanced character options in this book automatically sufer the efects of Distinctive Style and do not get a BP bonus.

The GM can decide that your Vampire or Centaur 'Runner has "Distinctive Style" at level 3 or 4. That makes your character a LOT easier to find.

As an alternative, your GM could decide that 'ALL" is a stupid generalization and drop it for fairly common metavariants and those options that specifically are intended to blend with metahumanity (Banshees, Vampires, Drakes in metahuman form, Shapeshifters in metahuman form, and Free Spirits with Realistic Form) unless they have an actual 'distinctive' feature (physical, behavioral, or other). That's what I'd do.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Aug 20 2008, 07:52 PM) *
As an alternative, your GM could decide that 'ALL" is a stupid generalization and drop it for fairly common metavariants and those options that specifically are intended to blend with metahumanity (Banshees, Vampires, Drakes in metahuman form, Shapeshifters in metahuman form, and Free Spirits with Realistic Form) unless they have an actual 'distinctive' feature (physical, behavioral, or other). That's what I'd do.

Forgot to mention SURGE characters with no changes to their appearance. Tell me, how does someone with Sensitive System, Arcane Arrester, & Low-Light Vision stand out to the general populace?
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Aug 20 2008, 10:05 PM) *
Forgot to mention SURGE characters with no changes to their appearance. Tell me, how does someone with Sensitive System, Arcane Arrester, & Low-Light Vision stand out to the general populace?

For Sensitive System & Arcane Arrester... those are not visible. Low Light vision on the other hand can possibly be different.

Now IMO, SURGE characters should have some distinctive flaw about them that says: "Hey I got screwed over/benefited/changed by SURGE!" Otherwise it's just a munchkin ploy.

The SURGE'd character that I'm working on has a 1.2 meter Fox tail growing out the base of his spine (Balance Tail) and his ears moved to the top of his head. Is it cheesey? Maybe. Is it distinctive? Yup.
Jhaiisiin
Not to mention the book specifically mentions trying to come up with a distinctive theme for Class 3 surge characters. Between the positive and negative qualities you can take, *not* having some distinctiveness requires effort and possible munchkinism.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 20 2008, 10:50 PM) *
Not to mention the book specifically mentions trying to come up with a distinctive theme for Class 3 surge characters. Between the positive and negative qualities you can take, *not* having some distinctiveness requires effort and possible munchkinism.

My character is a Class II SURGE character. In my way of thinking, a Class III SURGE person should almost not be recognized as a metahuman. A Night One elf meta-variant is the MINIMUM (IMO) that a Class III SURGE character should be.
Muspellsheimr
While I fully agree that most SURGE characters will have some kind of distinguishing physical alteration, it is not, by any means, a requirement for any level of SURGE. The SURGE level determines the minimum degree of change, not the type of change.
Jhaiisiin
True. I know in my case, any player that approached me wanting to have a changeling with Class 3 surge and everything keeping them looking normal would need to provide me a good fluff reason to do so. Someone just wanting a lesbian catgirl ninja is already a freak, and fluff becomes unnecessary. wink.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 21 2008, 12:14 AM) *
Someone just wanting a lesbian catgirl ninja is already a freak, and fluff becomes unnecessary. wink.gif

HEY! There is NOTHING wrong with a lesbian catgirl... other than she won't put out to guys.

@ Muspellsheimr: Yup, which why I said "in my opinion" (IMO). I just feel that no visible change is just sorta cheesy. I mean you get all the cool abilities and no social drawbacks... sign me up!
DV8
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Aug 20 2008, 12:27 PM) *

My reason, in essence, is simple; I like cyberpunk better than I like manapunk. The magic in my game is less clinical and more mystical than it is in the cannon material. Now, I leave metahumans alone, but SURGE just goes one step too far for me. I can nicely ignore the whole comet story arc and continue like nothing changed. Metahumanity and its different base flavours is something I don't mess with because it lies at the foundation of the game, though in my game there isn't such a good consentual understanding on the why of different metatypes. It's an unexplained genetic expression.

Well, on top of all of that SURGE can blow me because I need more caricaturish cartoonish approach like I need a third nipple.
The Jopp
QUOTE (DV8 @ Aug 21 2008, 12:45 PM) *
Well, on top of all of that SURGE can blow me because I need more caricaturish cartoonish approach like I need a third nipple.

Heck, why not just call them mutations then?

Not everyone creates anthromorphic catgirl furries with the rules.

I do on the other hand think that some of the surge abilities are a bit off or a wee bit extreme. They fit the world but they seldom work well with a shadowrunning campaign or team since tehy are too damn visible.

How do you keep yourself hidden when you are known as squidface and have tentacles around your head...

I can on the other hand see a lot of them as things runners can run into (no pun intended)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012