Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Road Runner (Meep Meep!)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Delta56
Okay, Path of the Athlete adept (Running idea)

This started as an attempt to make a non-combat orientated runner, as a sort of hand courier for his gunsmith boss (We hand deliver for your protection!)

Physical stats are 4, Mental 3.
His running skill is 5, specializing in Sprinting, but Urban could work, depending on his enviroment.
Adept power to add bonus dice to the skill of 4.

So, in the book sprinting is a free action to sprint, adding 2xhits to movement (base of 8m). Assuming he uses his edge or gets lucky to have all successes, thats 16 hits, or 57m per sprint. Going with the idea that you could use Sprinting as a simple action (this is where I might get it wrong) that could mean he would be able to do 'Sprint' three times in a turn.

If thats the case, and he can some how keep up that rate that would give him a top speed of 171m/turn (Three seconds)

The Math.
171m every 3 seconds. x20 for minutes: 3,420m per minute. x60 for hours: 205200m per hour (205.2kmph).

All assuming he can continue to keep rolling all his hits (or using edge to critically succeed), and doesn't die from exhaustion in the process... why would you even have a car? This is also, with only one initiative pass per turn.

Now, I -know- I must have gotten something wrong some where, because thats crossing the Seattle metroplex faster than a suzuki mirage, and that just aint right!!

((Also, did I mention one of this other adept powers was wall running from Street Magic? ^^;; Gecko Gloves to hold onto walls at the end of the turn...))
hobgoblin
hehe, i keep loving it when people find ways to turn SR into a superhero game wink.gif

roadrunner my ass, this is the flash biggrin.gif
CanRay
Why would he need a car?

Because fuel/electricity is cheaper than the food he'd be eating after running like that! nyahnyah.gif

Especially with a GridGuide Override!
sunnyside
Rules for repeat sprinting are an area of of disagrement. In particular there is the issue of speed being distributed over each pass making for a range of interpritations.

Yes the most liberal interpritations give you characters moving crazy fast.

Combined with the movement spirit power (which is and of itself kinda silly) and you have people doing something like mach 3. I forget the exact details.

However beyond all that anyone taking the title of "roadrunner" should be required to have kid stealth legs.

hobgoblin
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Aug 23 2008, 03:40 PM) *
Combined with the movement spirit power (which is and of itself kinda silly) and you have people doing something like mach 3. I forget the exact details.

anything can do mach 3 with a spirit to assist...

now, the mach 3 van, thats a different story wink.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 23 2008, 09:27 AM) *
hehe, i keep loving it when people find ways to turn SR into a superhero game wink.gif

roadrunner my ass, this is the flash biggrin.gif

The Flash can exceed the speed of light and run backwards through time, arriving at his destination years before he left. This particular build isn't quite there yet. Find a way to exceed 899,377,374 m/CT, and then well talk about The Flash.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 23 2008, 04:06 PM) *
The Flash can exceed the speed of light and run backwards through time, arriving at his destination years before he left. This particular build isn't quite there yet. Find a way to exceed 899,377,374 m/CT, and then well talk about The Flash.

and we have seen road runner stop dead in mid air with no ill effect (wile e coyote pulling the same trick on the other hand)...

but i was wondering how long it would take before i was called on it wink.gif
Rad
Okay, Path of the Athlete adept (Running idea)

This started as an attempt to make a non-combat orientated runner, as a sort of hand courier for his gunsmith boss (We hand deliver for your protection!)

Physical stats are 4, Mental 3.
His running skill is 5, specializing in Sprinting, but Urban could work, depending on his enviroment.
Adept power to add bonus dice to the skill of 4.

So, in the book sprinting is a free action to sprint, adding 2xhits to movement (base of 8m). Assuming he uses his edge or gets lucky to have all successes, thats 16 hits, or 57m per sprint. Going with the idea that you could use Sprinting as a simple action (this is where I might get it wrong) that could mean he would be able to do \'Sprint\' three times in a turn.

If thats the case, and he can some how keep up that rate that would give him a top speed of 171m/turn (Three seconds)

The Math.
171m every 3 seconds. x20 for minutes: 3,420m per minute. x60 for hours: 205200m per hour (205.2kmph).

All assuming he can continue to keep rolling all his hits (or using edge to critically succeed), and doesn\'t die from exhaustion in the process... why would you even have a car? This is also, with only one initiative pass per turn.

Now, I -know- I must have gotten something wrong some where, because thats crossing the Seattle metroplex faster than a suzuki mirage, and that just aint right!!

((Also, did I mention one of this other adept powers was wall running from Street Magic? ^^;; Gecko Gloves to hold onto walls at the end of the turn...))

In a word: No. You've got quite a few things wrong there.

Base running speed is 25 meters per turn, not initiative pass. (20 for dwarfs, 35 for trolls)

Sprinting uses a simple action and adds 2x the net hits of a running + strength test to your base running speed. It looks like you could burn multiple simple actions to add more hits, but

a) Getting 16 hits is fragging ridiculous. Using edge won't give you all successes, it just adds (Edge) dice to the roll. You can burn a point of edge permanently, but your build actually rolls 15 dice for sprinting, not 16. (Strength 4 + Running 5 + 2 Specialization + 4 adept powers = 15) So you still wouldn't get 16 hits.

You've got a 1 in 3 chance of a success per die, so on average 15 dice gives you five hits. (15 divided by 3 = 5) To get 16 hits you'd have to use edge and get insanely lucky, since you can't spend edge to boost a roll and burn it to get critical success on the same roll.

b) As per the errata, you can only use the Improved Ability power to raise a skill to 1.5 x it's unaugmented value, which for a skill of 5 caps out at +3 (1.5 x 5 = 7.5 -5 = 3.5 maximum bonus) You could also take a level of improved physical ability (strength) to add another die to the test, though--bringing you back up to +4.

c) You get 2 simple actions per pass, not three. Assuming only 1 IP, as you said, that's a maximum of 2 sprints per combat turn.

d) Even if you used both your simple actions in a phase to sprint, and burned edge both times for critical success, you're only adding 60 meters to your running rate that turn. (15 hits x 2 meters = 30, x2 sprint actions = +60 total) That gives you a top running speed of 85 meters per turn, not 171. I have no idea where you got that figure.

So, the math:

85 meters per 3 seconds, x20 for minutes = 1,700 meters per minute, x60 = 102,000 meters per hour or 102 kph. (A little over 63 mph)

That's still pretty fast, slightly under highway speeds in the US, but considering you're permanently burning 2 points of edge every turn (and burning one point allows you to survive a thor shot to the temple) that doesn't seem unreasonable. You're going to be able to keep this up for about 3-4 turns at best before you completely run out of edge, and have to buy more with karma.

[edit] added quote [/edit]
Delta56
Alrighty!

Rad, I apologize. I forgot to put in the Natural Athlete positive quality in the first post to have the 16th dice there.
I had read sprint as a free action, which would lead me to think three because you have the free and two standard actions.

Now, as to edge, the gm I started with on Sr4 told me you could spend edge to do a couple of things: Add edge to your pool (with those extra having the rule of six), critically succeed on a roll, reroll fails, or go first in an initiative pass. So, as we speak I am rereading the passage about edge right now. smile.gif

I'm also very glad he CANT run that fast. He was meant to be a hand courier, traveling by parkour/freerunning style to his destination.

Thank you very much, DS.

-Edit-
Okay, page 67 Sr4 core:

When you spend a point of Edge you can choose to
have one of the following happen:
• You may declare the use of Edge before rolling for any one
test (or one interval roll on an Extended Test). You may
add a number of extra dice equal to your full Edge attribute
to the dice pool. All dice (not just Edge dice) rolled
on this test are subject to the Rule of Six (p. 56), meaning
that if you roll a 6, you count it as a hit and roll it again.
• You may declare the use of Edge after you have rolled for
one test. In this case, you may roll a number of extra dice
equal to your full Edge attribute and add their hits to
the test’s total. The Rule of Six (p. 56), however, only applies
to the additional Edge dice rolled, not the original
dice pool.
• You may re-roll all of the dice on a single test that did not
score a hit.
• You may make a Long Shot Test (p. 55) even if your dice
pool was reduced to 0 or less; roll only your Edge dice for
this test (the Rule of Six does not apply).
• You may go fi rst in an Initiative Pass, regardless of your
Initiative Score (see Initiative and Edge, p. 134). If multiple
characters spend Edge to go fi rst in the same pass, those
characters go in order according to their Initiative Scores
fi rst, then everyone else goes according to their Initiative
Scores.
• You may gain 1 extra Initiative Pass for that Combat Turn
only (see Initiative and Edge, p. 134).
• You may negate the effects of one glitch or critical glitch.
• You may invoke the Dead Man’s trigger rule (see p. 154).
A character can only spend Edge points on her own actions;
she cannot spend it on behalf of others (except when
engaged in a “teamwork� test, see p. 59). No more than 1
point of Edge can be spent on any specific test or action at
one time. If you spent a point of Edge for extra dice and
rolled a critical glitch anyway, for example, you cannot use
Edge to negate that critical glitch since you have already applied
Edge to that test.

I'm going to have to update my players, since we all had the wrong ideas.
Shiloh
Also, your character is *sprinting*, which you can only keep up for a very short time, say a minute, without some mojo or tech to support extended sprinting achievements. I'd have sprinting cost stun hits, I think, at first glance, unless the book already covers endurance of this nature... -1 every 9 seconds sounds about right to me.

edit: typo
Cain
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Aug 23 2008, 06:40 AM) *

Heh.

In one of the last games I played, our driver had used Arsenal to super soup-up a sports car. I don't remember exactly how fast its top speed was, but let's go with a Eurocar Westwind, with a top speed of 240. We'll add Engine Customization onto this, for a top speed of 288. Now, according to the rules, you can push this even further with the right rolls, although the BBB doesn't say how much faster, or how difficult the rolls are. During one chase scene, we're already pushing things. Let's put the speed at a nice, even 300 meters per combat turn. Still, the driver complains we're not getting away fast enough, so I call on my Force 10(!) spirit.

See where this is headed? cool.gif

I have it use the Movement power on us. That multiplies our speed by 10, to 3000 meters every 3 seconds. That's 60,000 meters per minute, or 3,600 km per hour. For us Americans, that's about 2240 miles per hour. Since the speed of sound is 770 miles per hour, we suddenly jump to Mach 4.6. vegm.gif

The GM ended up looking up the rocket booster rules to determine the damage to the car. It didn't do too well, but we did get away in a big hurry.
Delta56
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 23 2008, 02:42 PM) *
...so I call on my Force 10(!) spirit.

I just had a crazy thought.... I will have a new devious (and probably mathematically flawed) creation tonight/morning.

Also... anyone have an answer for object resistance for a drone or a cyborg?

>.>

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012