Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much does a dose of acid weigh?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Spookymonster
I'm thinking of having my char carry a dose or two of acid in glass vials. Comes in handy when you want to make holes in something, as well as when you need a quick distraction (+4 modifier from smoke and fumes). The closest things I could reference are paint rounds and dart rounds, both weighing .15 each.

Is there actual canon indicating how much a single dose weighs?
Ol' Scratch
Most chemicals in Shadowrun don't have a listed weight (since it's neglible in individual doses). Instead, they seem to base the weight on the delivery system. I'd say a vial is roughly equivalent to a Splash Grenade, so set the weight at 0.25kg. If you want to get down to single doses, just use the weight for Capsule Rounds and divide it by 10 (since each unit of Capsule Rounds includes 10 rounds), or 0.025kg each.
Cray74
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
I'm thinking of having my char carry a dose or two of acid in glass vials. Comes in handy when you want to make holes in something, as well as when you need a quick distraction (+4 modifier from smoke and fumes). The closest things I could reference are paint rounds and dart rounds, both weighing .15 each.

Is there actual canon indicating how much a single dose weighs?

Canon? Well, in real life, acids will be about on par with water for density, give or take a bit. So 1 liter of acid will be 1 kilogram (1 quart/2 pounds).

Figure out how big you want your vials to be (10-20ml sounds right, so 10-20 grams of acid) and you can figure out how heavy the acid is.
The Cheshire Penguin
And, of course, everything depends on the kind of acid you're using. 20ml of ascorbic acid aren't going to get you through a door.
Ol' Scratch
Which is why acids in Shadowrun come in ratings instead of terminology.
Diesel
Y'know, for Nano-Bisulfuric-cyber acid.
3Threes
i keep mine on the back of mickey mouse stamps - almost weightless
leemur
QUOTE (The Cheshire Penguin)
And, of course, everything depends on the kind of acid you're using.  20ml of ascorbic acid aren't going to get you through a door.

On the other hand, it will help with that nasty case of scurvy smile.gif

(Ascorbic acid is better known as Vitamin C)
Siege
Just make sure you get shatter-resistant glass containers...

Spilling acid in your gear can be a bitch.

-Siege
Solidcobra
having some freaky mage blow your acid up so it engulfs you and turns you into goop can be even bitchier...
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Siege)
Just make sure you get shatter-resistant glass containers...

Or just use the stats and rules for a Splash Grenade, call it a vial, and be done with it.
Spookymonster
You know, that idea sounds better every time I hear it...
Rock-Steady
Cant remember where i read it but IIRC 1 dose was 1 litre. So if you say that 1 litre is 1 kilogram then you have your weight.

It may not be realistic but if you want the numbercrunching, go ahead. *g*
gknoy
QUOTE (3Threes)
i keep mine on the back of mickey mouse stamps - almost weightless

rotfl.gif

You know, when I read the topic, I too thought he meant THAT kind of acid.
Zazen
I had a PC make capsule rounds with acid in them once. THAT kind of acid wobble.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012