Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heist movies and inspiration for runs?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dvalin
Hey folks-

Just saw the Italian Job last night, and my god did it kick arse. It, however, also brought out something of a lack on Shadowrun -- to the best of my knowledge, there are optional rules for mechanical locks in SOTA2063 -- but are there any rules set up for safe-cracking?

Also! What movies do you guys recommend for inspiration on sleazy thievery? Right now I can think of The Good Thief, Ocean's Eleven, er... and I -know- there are others I've seen that I'm drawing a blank on. Y'guys have any recommendations for viewing?

-Dvalin
simonw2000
Gone In 60 Seconds.
Ol' Scratch
I believe safe-cracking is a specialization of Lock-Picking in SotA: 2063.

Some other movies that iinspire a good heist are Heat, Ronin, Snatch (though it revolves more around setting up a boxing match than genuine theft), Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and Reservoir Dogs (though you never really see the theft take place).

On a slightly related note, is anyone else looking forward to Ocean's Twelve? Rumor has it that it's going to involve at least three different heists. biggrin.gif
Shadow
Watch both Oceans 11
D.Generate
Check out Walken's "The Opportunists" another good hiest movies in my opinion.
Cochise
The Heist
Topkapi
Sneakers
Diesel
All good:

- Things to do in Denver when You're Dead
- The Way of the Gun
- The Sting
- Suicide Kings
- Reservoir Dogs
- Snatch
- Heat
- Thick as Thieves
- Out of Sight
- Jackie Brown
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
- The Big Hit
- The Score
- Montana
- Bottle Rocket
- Boondock Saints
rlemansky
Gods help me, but I just caught it again on cable-Hudson Hawk.
Ol' Scratch
I love Hudson Hawk. I can't figure out why it got such horrible reviews, short of the annoyance of Sandra Bernhardt.
Catsnightmare
I agree completely, Hudson Hawk is next on my DVD to aquire list.
Buzzed
For those detectives and or riggers out there:

Point Break
&
Fast and the Furious

Both of these are the exact same movie (compare the plots), except one has surf boards and the other has cars.
Seidaku
Though not directly related to runs, per se, I've always felt Enemy of the State was great for putting one in the correct frame of mind for dealing with Megacorps. The Usual Suspects, too, felt very Shadowrunny.
Bearclaw
A Fish Called Wanda
Any of the Diehard movies (I've got a great modification of the first one in mind for my group).
Out of Sight
The Maltese Falcon is awesome and I'll be using it as the basis for a run some time soon.
China Town is a friggin' shadowrun adventure other than the setting. Since most people under 30 haven't seen it, you can break it out as a solo adventure anytime.
mike_the_fish
It's already been mentioned, but I just have to vote for...

Sneakers!

Shadowrun "heist" action at it's finest
CanvasBack
Hmmm, be on alert for Paycheck, despite the fact that Ben Affleck is in it, because the movie will be based on a Philip K. Dick novel... And I think we all know how awesome Blade Runner turned out.
Kurukami
Not to mention Minority Report. Other cool heist-y action would probably include "The Score", with Robert deNiro and Edward Norton. And I can't believe nobody's mentioned "The Usual Suspects" yet.
Diesel
QUOTE (Seidaku @ Dec 21 2003, 08:03 PM)
The Usual Suspects, too, felt very Shadowrunny.

Actually... biggrin.gif
Frag-o Delux
Has anyone seen Entrapment? Not the best movie out there but deffenite Shadowrun feel. See it, if not for the plot but to see Catherine Zeta Jones slink around in spandex, ummmmmmm. :drool:
kevyn668
Frag-o Delux Posted on Dec 22 2003, 09:11 PM
  Has anyone seen Entrapment? Not the best movie out there but deffenite Shadowrun feel. See it, if not for the plot but to see Catherine Zeta Jones slink around in spandex, ummmmmmm. :drool: 

I'll second that! nyahnyah.gif
6thDragon
I for one, just got done watching The Italian Job...I thought it was great. I can't believe no one else has mentioned it yet. I'd also have to say Drop Zone was a good one, if you throw in the whole hacking/decking aspect...makes it more like Shadowrun. cool.gif
Req
QUOTE (6thDragon)
I for one, just got done watching The Italian Job...I thought it was great. I can't believe no one else has mentioned it yet. I'd also have to say Drop Zone was a good one, if you throw in the whole hacking/decking aspect...makes it more like Shadowrun. cool.gif

Uh, it was the premise for the thread...mentioned in the first post. smile.gif
Cochise
Come to think of it ... there's another film that has potential for shadowrun inspiration (actually I've used it several times):

The Wild Geese ...

Mercenaries in a high threat exctraction job being set up by their J, trying to leave enemy territory alive ...
Kurukami
QUOTE (Diesel)
QUOTE (Seidaku @ Dec 21 2003, 08:03 PM)
The Usual Suspects, too, felt very Shadowrunny.

Actually... biggrin.gif

Heh. Whoops. Note to self... schedule appointment with cyberdoc to check vision and return it to 20/20... cyber.gif
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Seidaku)
Enemy of the State

If you liked that you should see The Conversation which has Gene Hackman playing a younger version of the same character (in fact there's a picture of him in Enemy of the State that was taken from The Conversation).
warlock
QUOTE (Buzzed)
For those detectives and or riggers out there:

Point Break
&
Fast and the Furious

Both of these are the exact same movie (compare the plots), except one has surf boards and the other has cars.

Ug, I could never recommend FnF for anything but a comedy nyahnyah.gif
The Cheshire Penguin
Y'all are forgetting the BEST shadowrunning movie of all time! RONIN!
The Jake
Heat & Ronin gotta be my favorites.

Others:
Scarface
The Godfather trilogy (especially for creating street level runs)
Sneakers
The Die Hard series
Leon: The Professional
Boondock Saints
The Usual Suspects
The Italian Job
Heist
Enemy of the State

I want to see The Score and The Conversation now smile.gif

Wasn't there a film with Gene Hackman as a robber who ripped off a heap of gold bullion? I forget the name... had the black actor from The One in it.... I know his name but it's on the tip of my tongue but I'm having a blank...

- J.

Fortune
A little-mentioned movie that fits right in with the shadowrun theme is Streets of Fire. A bonus is it's great soundtrack, written mostly by Jim Steinman.
Cochise
QUOTE (The Jake)
Wasn't there a film with Gene Hackman as a robber who ripped off a heap of gold bullion? I forget the name... had the black actor from The One in it.... I know his name but it's on the tip of my tongue but I'm having a blank...

*lol* ...

That's The Heist ... As mentioned in my first post ...
Whither
For riggers-
The Trransporter.
kevyn668
Fortune Posted on Dec 24 2003, 04:19 AM
  A little-mentioned movie that fits right in with the shadowrun theme is Streets of Fire. A bonus is it's great soundtrack, written mostly by Jim Steinman

That's an AWESOME movie!! I can't believe it hasn't come up before.

[ Spoiler ]
Fortune
QUOTE (kevyn668)
That's an AWESOME movie!! I can't believe it hasn't come up before.

One of my favorites. smile.gif

And like I said, the soundtrack doesn't hurt it at all. wink.gif
Liquid_Obsidian
Nikita guy , nikita , the movie from the guy who did leon.... Luc Besson that's it...
Thanos007
The one you all apparently need to see is Theif. It starred James Cann and was directed by Michael Man. Research and planning stuff is very good.

Thanos
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012