Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movement power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lividicus
So I am not sure if the spirit power affects movement in the form of jumping.

How would you handle it.
Delta56
I have a similar question, but while under the levitation spell and the spirit's movement power.
jklst14
My first thought was yes, it would. But then I began to wonder, does the Movement power affect you when you're falling? So now, I'm not so sure...

On a related question, can a spirit use the Movement power on itself? I had assumed yes but then started thinking about it...
sunnyside
Well to be fair I dislike the movement power.

But RAW, it increases movement rates and nothing else. So if you were skipping or something I'd apply the multiplier to how fast you get from point a to point b. But things like length or height of jumps would be unaffected.

Jhaiisiin
But how far you can jump is created in part by your forward momentum at the point you leave the ground. If a power is increasing that, horizontal distance should also be affected.
Irian
Agreed. For simplicity, I would simply multiply the range with the movement power's level (i.e. the critter's magic). Perhaps a roll at the end of the jump would be apropriate for not getting hurt when landing...
sunnyside
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 24 2008, 02:39 AM) *
But how far you can jump is created in part by your forward momentum at the point you leave the ground. If a power is increasing that, horizontal distance should also be affected.

So can I do rail gun damage with gun if the spirit uses the power on a bullet or arrow? After all it'd be traveling at rail gun speeds.

The power is stupid, and your best bet for dealing with it is to give no bonuses or anything besides exactly what it says it does.

Stahlseele
it does not make anything go faster, it just magically takes you less time to cover the same distance(yes, i know, that physically means going fasta but meh).
i think someone else onoce said that movement power reduces the difference between a and b or just takes things out of the way for you to not have to go around them . .
but yes, that power is indeed, one of the most stupid ones . .
Irian
Even if this idea was true... Taking less time to cover the same distance means that you will still be in mid-air instead of having already landed (because gravity didn't have time to pull you down) - in other words: Your jump gets longer smile.gif
HappyDaze
Even if this idea was true... Taking less time to cover the same distance means that you will still be in mid-air instead of having already landed (because gravity didn't have time to pull you down) - in other words: Your jump gets longer

Not necessarily. Assume that you make amovement that normally takes you 5 seconds only (with a Force 5 Movement effect) you can now do it in 1 second - it's just like the whole 5 seconds of movement was condesed by a 'fast-forward' effect. In such an interpretation, jumping distances would not be increased, just the time you're in the air would be reduced - think of it as the speed of your falling (that thing that limits jumps) being increased along with everything else.
Irian
Ok, then let's just say that "Street Magic" explicitly states that magic cannot change distances or the flow of time smile.gif
HappyDaze
OK, then just consider that ALL of a target's movement is equally accelerated/decellerated - this includes the falling rate. If everything is proportional - and there is no reason to assume that it is not - your horizontal jumping distance will not increase from your faster movemnt rate because you'll descend from your jump at the fater rate too (less 'hang time').
Irian
And just why should it be that way? Just that you're right? smile.gif
HappyDaze
Since we seem to be in agreement that I'm right, no other reason is really necessary, but I'll indulge.

However, the power notes movement. Many apply this to just base movement rate. You appear to want to expand it to any form of movement, but you exclude movement imposed by gravity. I'm just suggesting that if you want to expand the scope, you should do so without adding in an exception.
sunnyside
That, by the way is the alternate use of the movement power. Worse in my opinon than just going RAW and not reading into it.

You can treat it as actually increasing velocity. Like the spirit giving you a push. In this case I'd suggest making regular rolls to see if the player suffers ill effects unless they're just moving over flat open terrain.

The rules don't say to do that. They also don't say to roll to see if you hit something if you're running blind in the woods. It's just a common sense issue that if your player is hurtling through the air at Mach 1 that things could get awfully exciting.

The advantage of this interpritation is that it limits the stupidity of the power being used as standard on nearly everything that travels. Planes trying to use the power to the fullest would just disintigrate. Couriers using it in the city will have regular horrible accidents and so on.

Lividicus
so it does not increase distance only the time that (by increasing speed) it takes to cover the distance.

i can go with that.

I do not see why a spirit could not use movement on itself?
Abschalten
There was one SRM Denver mission I was playing in with my group, and I was using my magician. During the course of the run, he got seperated from the group since he was working on something independently from the others. Some shit went down, and he had to be there FAST. The problem was the fact he was halfway across down.

The rigger said over the commlink, "Want me to send a van for you?"

My magician replies, "That'll take too long."

He threw open the window on his third floor apartment, casted force 5 Levitate on himself, and jumped out the window.

He got his force 5 spirit to sustain movement on himself, and he capped the spell out at 5 hits. Using the rate of movement described by the spell's description and multiplied by a factor of 5 (The force of the spirit), I figured out he was flying across the skies of Denver at roughly 93 MPH.

Good times. wobble.gif

I personally like movement. I almost think of it as relativity: The rate of motion for the travelling vehicle or person is safe for them, but it appears to be super fast (or slow) to an outside observer. Even so, I don't try too hard to make it "make sense" or conform to real world physics. That's just asking for headaches and disappointment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012