Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kage Critters !
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
Kage Critters

Heres my attempt at converting critters from the old Shadowrun mag Kage. I'm not sure who to credit with original critters as there was none given. Hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes and please feel free to chime in and gripe or add some info, be happy to edit as needed. I considered putting art in gallery and linking it but AFAIK CGL still has rights to it and I don't wanna overstep any lines.
I tried to stay as close to the original stats as possible with some changes to keep with 4th edition format and critter abilities from RAW. One paticular thing is I had to convert vulnerabilities into allergies. Also made some changes to keep things challenging for SR teams. Might come back and revisit after “Running Wild� is released.

I've learned when using critters it's best to use environment, numbers and when used as security critters additional support to make them a real challenge.

H'owl (Otus Strideo)
The awakened version of the "Screech Owl". Larger and Broader then its parent species with a wingspan of 76-91cm. Preferring to nest in confined spaces hidden from the sun. Normally a hunter of small game, due to the abilities of his piercing cry many have had there wings clipped and are employed as an awakened security measure.
Natural Habitat: Forests and wooded areas central and northern North America.
B/2 A/4 R/4 S/2 C/3 I/2 L/2 W/2 EDG/2 ESS/6 INIT/6 IP/1
Movement:10/30
Skills: Flight 2 Infiltration 3 Perception 4
Powers: Paralyzing Howl/Screech
Weaknesses: Allergy (sunlight/mild)

>I hate these f*%$in things! Lost a good buddy near Portland, damn Owl froze him going over the wire and drones got him dead to rights.
>Gee

Rachnyn (Arachinae Robustus)
Weighing in at over 4 kilograms and averaging 38 cm in diameter, these black carapace
spiders can certainly cause nightmares. Living mostly in old forest of the American northwest and feeding on small rodents and birds unlucky enough to get caught in there webs.
Natural Habitat: Forests in Northwestern reagions of North America.
B/1 A/2 R/2 S/1 C/2 I/3 L/3 W/2 EDG/2 ESS/6 INIT/5 IP/1
Movement: 4/12
Skills: Climb 4 Dodge 4 Infiltration 4 Perception 3 Unarmed Combat 4
Powers: Venom (Use Neruo-Stun toxin stats)

>Everyone knows by now the argument over these creepy crawlies. Which came first the chicken or the egg or this case the toxin or the spider. Been long standing argument whether some medtech “stole� there venom or some gene splicer was messing with natural venom production in this species and they got loose. Either way you never wanna run into some pine stand full of webs in the northwest in the middle of night.
>Prime Mover

Sewer Gator (Alligator Grius)
Eating cats,dogs,rats or whatever else may wander too close to there sewer home. These alligators are shorter then there normal cousins with longer and stronger legs and a short stumpy tail.
Natural Habitat: Wetlands and sewers of western and southern North America.
B/4 A/3 R/3 S/4 C/1 I/3 L/3 W/4 EDG/3 ESS/6 INIT/6 IP/2
Movement:15/30 (swimming)
Skills: Perception 3 Swimming 4 Unarmed Combat 3
Powers: Concealment (Self only when in water.), Natural Weapon (DV 6P AP -1)
Weaknesses: Allergy (cold/mild)

>Ahh yea so's dis elf johnson sayz jus sit here in dis drainage room while we slip up and make the connections soz ya can hack from here here. I got da new leg and walked to his building, gave him a stump and left a pamphlet so we could have matching cyber.
>Digital Earl

Carrion Crow (Corvus Caronia)
Related to normal ravens and looking nearly identical. Traveling in flocks of 15-50 these
omnivores can be found anywhere and communicate silently. There name can be
misleading, larger flocks are not always willing to wait for its prey to die naturally.
Natural Habitat: Western Hemisphere
B/2 A/4 R/4 S/1 C/2 I/3 L/3 W/2 EDG/3 ESS/6 INIT/7 IP/1
Movement: 20/35
Skills: Flight 3 Perception 4
Powers: Confusion, Pestilence (carrier of disease)
Weaknesses: Allergy (fire/moderate)

>Since 49 theres been a total of 3 bold attacks against man by flocks of 300+. One in 49 on shores of Red Lake. One against a small fishing village in Alaska during the passing of the Comet. And the last during the crash of 64 on the highway near San Diego.
>Hardcase

Cooper's Fox (Vulpes Movere)
Found in central regions of North America Coopers Fox appears nearly identical to other
fox's. Set apart by its patches of gold or silver fur and uncanny intellect. Making use of its
powers to distract and harm prey and hunters and even open doors and traps. Attracted to highly
polished objects and known to take them.
Natural Habitat: Western Hemisphere
B/2 A/3 R/3 S/1 C/3 I/3 L/3 W/2 EDG/4 ESS/6 INIT/6 IP/2
Movement: 10/45
Skills: Perception 3 Tracking 2 Unarmed 3
Powers: Enhanced Senses (Smell),Psychokinesis, Natural Weapon (Bite: DV2 AP0)

>We were bunked down north of Denver our sensor net would go off every night exactly 2 hours after lights out and one of these things would let himself into our cabin. We watched him first few nights not letting on we were aware of him. Damn thing stole everything not nailed down that was edible or sparkled in the firelight.
>Craven

Fenris Wolf (Canis Feroc)
One of the most powerful and fearsome predators of the forest. Standing 1.3 meters tall at the shoulder, traveling in small packs and completely fearless when hunting. Corporate breeding programs for site security is probably the only thing that keeps these monsters from being hunted to extinction.
Natural Habitat: Found in deep forests of north central regions of North America and Europe.
B/8 A/5 R/4 S/6 C/1 I/3 L/3 W/3 EDG/3 ESS/6 INIT/7 IP/3
Movement: 10/45
Skills: Intimidation 5 Perception 4 Tracking 4 Unarmed Combat 4
Powers: Armor 4, Enhanced Senses (Hearing,smell,lowlight and thermographic vision.), Pain Resistance 6, Natural weapon (Bite: DV 6P AP -2),
Weaknesses: Allergy (silver/moderate)

>Wrestled down one of these in Black Forests of Germany once and let me tell ya theres not much in the forests that would jump a troll my size on purpose!
>Deth

Gaki (Shadow Spirit)
A unique spirit also known as "hungry ghosts". Gaki appear as clouds of sparkling mists or
less often as humanoids with demonic forms including horns, claws and a scaly hide.
Gaki differ from normal spirits that in they must consume a specific material. These
materials include but are not limited too blood,artwork,fragrances (flowers or perfume),
precious metals,gemstones,poisons,rice,electronics,foci,corpses,cloth,paper,plastics,smok
e,ink etc......
Natural Habitat: Japan
B/F+2 A/F R/F+3 S/F C/F I/F L/F W/F EDG/F ESS/F INIT/(Fx2) +3 IP/2
Astral Init/IP/Fx2,3
Movement: 10/20
Skills: Assessing, Astral Combat, Dodge, Intimidation, Perception, Unarmed Combat
Powers: Astral Form, Materialization, Sapience (Varying powers: Energy Aura/cold, Noxious Breath, Paralyzing Howl/Touch, Psychokinesis Search)
Weaknesses: Dietary requirement (Without its needed requirement spirit will suffer Evanescence.)

>My team was hired to meet a cargo ship still two days out from Seattle. Found this thing in the hold it had torn up several shipping containers and destroyed a whole batch of new Evo Commlinks.
>Mystik

Goblin Spider
An awakened form of common garden spider that has grown to nearly 1 meter. Using there webs to create silk lined tunnels from which they strike.
Natural Habitat: Rural Japan
B/4 A/4 R/4 S/3 C/2 I/3 L/3 W/3 EDG/2 ESS/6 INIT/7 IP/2
Movement: 10/25
Skills: Infiltration 4 Perception 3 Unarmed Combat 3
Powers: Binding, Mimicry, Venom (paralyzing)

>Recently on a trip home to the country I had the displeasure of helping remove a few of these from an abandoned mountain shrine that had gotten a taste for the flesh of meta human children.
>Red Moku

Greater Carp
These reddish gold carp can grow up to 5 meters long. Generally peaceful however they have been known to overturn small boats and mistake swimmers for food.
Natural Habitat: Anywhere along the Japanese coast.
B/6 A/3 R/3 S/5 C/2 I/2 L/2 W/3 EDG/2 ESS/6 INIT/5 IP/1
Movement: 15/45
Skills: Dodge 4 Perception 3 Swimming 4
Powers: Dual Natured, Engulf

>While on a “fishing trip� off the eastern coast of Japan we had some minor trouble with some other “fisherman� and long story short some folks ended up in water. Next thing ya know these monster goldfish come rushing up surface and drag two guys the bottom. We don't do boat work anymore.
> Garrison & Garrison

Greater Toad
Awakened Amphibians similar to ordinary toads except for there great size and magical abilities. Typically 1.5 meters at the shoulder. Using its innate ability to appear harmless and lure its meals close.
Natural Habitat: Fresh waters around Japan.
B/4 (+1 Dermal) A/2 R/2 S/4 C/2 I/2 L/2 W/4 EDG/2 ESS/6 INIT/4 IP/1
Movement: 5/20
Skills: Perception 3 Swimming 4
Powers: Binding, Corrosive Spit, Innate Spell (Mask: realistic multi sense)

>Corrosive binding giant frogs + Grenades at short range= Some new scars for me and some smoking hot sweet and sour frogs legs.
>Jackyl

Hengeyokai ( On hold till I get hard copy of RC)
B/ A/ R/ S/ C/ I/ L/ W/ EDG/ ESS/ INIT/ IP/
Movement:
Skills:
Powers:
Weaknesses:

Hsing-sing
An Asian breed of the Sasquatch. Reddish brown to black in color in the spring and summer and black to white in fall in winter months. Larger then there cousins and sporting a pair of large forward curving tusks jutting from there upper jaw.
Natural Habitat: Found in mountains of Japan.
B/10 A/2 R/3 S/8 C/3 I/3 L/3 W/2 EDG/4 ESS/6 INIT/6 IP/1
Movement: 15/35
Skills: Assensing 3 Animal Calls 5 Artisan 4 Athletics Group 2 Infiltration 3 Perception 4
Powers: Dual Natured, Mimicry, Sapience

>Bigger more reclusive and not nearly treated as well as there counterparts.
>Rising Son

Alicanto
Alicantos are small flightless birds about the size of a pigeon. They have long stilt like legs and are capable runners. Although brown,tan and grey in color after feeding they will gain gold and silver
highlights.
Natural Habitat: Found in central and coastal Mexico near gold and silver deposits.
B/1 A/3 R/3 S/0 C/2 I/4 L/4 W/1 EDG/2 ESS/6 INIT/7 IP/1
Movement: 20/20
Skills: Flight 2 Perception 3
Powers: Fear, Search (gold and silver only)
Weaknesses: Dietary Requirement (gold or silver)

>So Tonka and I were storming through the rooms of this third world dictators summer home and wham a room full of gold bricks and couple of bird cages. Next thing I know I'm crapping my pants and driving through the jungle like a stunt driver all Crammed up.
>Doctor Boom

Calchona
These large dog like animals average 1.3 meters at the shoulder and have heavy black or brown fur lighting towards white or tan near muzzle and paws. Below the jaw is a long beard like growth similar to that of a goat. An excellent tracker and guard animal along with its survivability has made the Calchona a corporate favorite.
Natural Habitat: Atzlan highlands.
B/6 A/4 R/4 S/4 C/3 I/3 L/3 W/2 EDG/4 ESS/6 INIT/7 IP/2
Movement: 15/50
Skills: Perception 4 Track 4 Unarmed Combat 3
Powers: Enhanced Senses, Regeneration, Natural Weapon (Bite: DV 4P, AP 1)

>I hear these things come come down out of the hills to get into peoples trash and nearly impossible to kill. Only place ever seen em is on a fence line at an Aztec facility tucked away up in mountains. On plus side they stun just fine and can't see astral so other then fact they can eat bullets and keep barking they are vulnerable.
>Arestus

Onaqui
An Onaqui is a hideous creature with a humanoid torso, lower body of a jaguar and the head and wings of a bat. Nearly 3 meters tall with a 10 meter wing span. The creatures heart gives off a dull booming distinctive beat that can be heard at distances. When hunting this beat softens so as to approach its prey.
Natural Habitat: Found in Atzlan and Central America.
B/5 A/4 R/4 S/4 C/2 I/3 L/3 W/3 EDG/3 ESS/6 INIT/7 IP/3
Movement: 25/40
Skills: Flight 3 Perception 4 Unarmed 4
Powers: Concealment (self),Immunity to Normal Weapons, Natural Weapon (Claw/Bite: 6P, AP 0)
Weaknesses: Allergy (Jade/Severe)

>All I could think of on the first night was those old simflicks were ya hear the native drums. It was the second night when we didn't hear anything though that all hell broke loose. They came down out of the trees and snatched our hacker while he was “out to lunch�. I musta hit em all a few times but they just took him up into the night. There bellies sated there hearts betrayed them and we tracked them to a cliff they were perched on the following morning. Our caster didn't have any of the problems our assault rifles did and got most of em. Too late for Cathode though.
>Mr.Stone

Hide
Hide are an awakened form of octopus although broader and flatter. Growing up to 12 meters across and able to blend with there natural surroundings. Carnivorous and willing to prey on anything.
Natural Habitat: Found along the pacific coast of Atzlan and central America.
B/4 A/3 R/3 S/6 C/2 I/3 L/3 W/2 EDG/3 ESS/6 INIT/6 IP/2
Skills: Dodge 4 Perception 3 Swim 4
Powers: Engulf, Immunity to toxins and Concealment (self)

>We were chumming for Megladons...don't ask. Pulled up a dolphin with one of these on it all camo'd, didn't realize what was going on till it let loose and engulfed Starman. Had to carve it off with our Fineblades and didn't even try to stop us just wanted to eat Starman. Single minded like my ex.
>Fisher

Tzitsimine (Shadow Spirit)
The Tzitsimine or "crying women" is a rare form of spirit that appears to be a women weeping into her hands wearing a flowing robe usually near a body of water. This is simply a ploy to lure it's prey close. When the creatures face is revealed it appears to be a skull with tears of blood streaming from there empty eye sockets.
Natural Habitat: Found near rivers and lake in southern Atzlan.
B/F+2 A/F R/F+3 S/ C/F I/F L/F W/F EDG/F ESS/F INIT/(Fx2)+3 IP/2
Movement: 10/25
Skills: Assessing, Astral Combat, Dodge, Intimidation, Perception, Unarmed Combat
Powers: Astral Form, Materialization, Sapience, Essence Drain, Paralyzing Howl/Cry

>Connected to Blood spirits or magical null zones...lots of theories but I'll tell ya this, there just damn creepy!
>Cutter

Mist Viper (Ophidia Vipera)
Mist vipers appear to be a cross between a bird and a snake. Up to a meter tall and all but it's head covered in brightly colored plumage. It's elongated body and vipers head give it away. Preferring to flee if outclassed this viper is not afraid to strike if cornered.
Natural Habitat: Found in the deserts of North America and Atzlan
B/3 (+1 dermal) A/4 R/4 S/2 C/2 I/2 L/2 W/3 EDG/2 ESS/6 INIT/6 IP/2
Movement: 20/30
Skills: Flight 3 Perception 3 Unarmed Combat 4
Powers: Flying, Mist Form and Venom

>Flying poisonous snake parrots oh come on.
>Horrin Fircash

Arachnis (Arachnic Neanderthalus)
The Arachnis resembles a cross between a human a spider. Covered in coarse dark hair a head with two pincers, fangs and eight eyes. Eight limbs with two human like legs and arms, with the feet
having two clawed digits and the hands three. They also have 4 smaller human like arms between there larger appendages. Able to travel on all eight limbs or standing at there full height of 2.5 meters.
Natural Habitat: Found in southern Atzlan and South America.
B/4 A/5 R/5 S/4 C/5 I/3 L/3 W/3 EDG/4 ESS/6 INIT/7 IP/2
Skills: Climbing 5 Perception 4 Unarmed Combat 4
Powers: Enhanced Senses, Immunity Poisons, Venom

>Look I'll admit it I got a little bug phobia, one the reasons I'd never take a job in Chi-town even to this day. But Ill tell ya what I won't ever take another job in Panamanian jungle either thanks to these things. There webs won't hold much more then small game but the clutch we ran into had turned an old fruit orchard into a webbed tent city and our casters swears he one of em was wearing a bug like shamanic mask. I HATE bugs I didn't' give em a chance to surrender I just emptied the flamethrower.
>Tuvo

X19a.17
Perhaps the first attempt at a serious chimeric guard animal and really with only one pic
existing perhaps this is still just a hoax. A horrific mixture of rhino and shark this
purported monster is supposedly used as on site paranormal guard animal. With the
belief its the size of a black bear and berserk at the smell of blood. It's rows of serrated
teeth and tough hide would make for a formidable foe.
Natural Habitat: Unknown
B/8 A/4 R/4 S/8 C/2 I/3 L/3 W/4 EDG/3 ESS/6 INIT/7 IP/2
Movement: 10/50
Skills: Perception 4 Unarmed Combat 5
Powers: Armor 8 Pain Resistance 10 Natural Weapon (Gore 8P, AP -4)
Weaknesses: allergy sevre/stun chemicals

> Found myself in an antique node once that my comm had a hard time translating. After some hack'n'smash I got it working and found an old trid recording of one of these things tearing apart a room fulla orks..... I wiped the recording but got an agent keeping an eye on the node.
>Hack in the Box

EDIT: Lost few things in cut and paste, tryed fix em all, let me know if anything missing.
VagabondStar
The Network was real?
Prime Mover
Was it real hehe yea, Kage was first print mag approved by fasa, followed by Shadowland.
CanRay
Megladon is good eatin'!

My favourite Mr. Johnson went fishing for some with Depth Charges, and had a fish-dinner BBQ Cookout for his Shadowteams. smile.gif

Then the druggies showed up and ruined everything. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012