Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: crossing borders in the air
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sunnyside
How do you think it should be handled. I mean as in a personal plane or something coming up to an international border.

Now for trying to sneak in low I can handle that well enough.

But what happens if you're flying high and obvious with your rating 6 fake ID and Visa and a plane full of the rest of the team. Do you just say hi to air traffic control as you go over? Would you have to land, go through customs, and then take off again? Do you have to have arranged a flight plan and such ahead of time? Fly through a specific cooridor?

Anybody know how it works now in RL for reference?
BRodda
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Aug 26 2008, 03:18 PM) *
How do you think it should be handled. I mean as in a personal plane or something coming up to an international border.

Now for trying to sneak in low I can handle that well enough.

But what happens if you're flying high and obvious with your rating 6 fake ID and Visa and a plane full of the rest of the team. Do you just say hi to air traffic control as you go over? Would you have to land, go through customs, and then take off again? Do you have to have arranged a flight plan and such ahead of time? Fly through a specific cooridor?

Anybody know how it works now in RL for reference?

In real life you file a flight plan and as long as it is approved your all set. Just have your transponder on and talk to the tower and you won't have any problems as long as you stay where your supposed to be. One Visa and SIN check to file the plan, 1 SIN check to board the plane and then normal customs at the destination and you should be set.
sunnyside
QUOTE (BRodda @ Aug 26 2008, 03:22 PM) *
In real life you file a flight plan and as long as it is approved your all set. Just have your transponder on and talk to the tower and you won't have any problems as long as you stay where your supposed to be. One Visa and SIN check to file the plan, 1 SIN check to board the plane and then normal customs at the destination and you should be set.

So they do expect you to land and go through customs?

To be clear this is the players plane. They'd obviously like to avoid customs.
Dumori
what you do then is have a hidden drone rack with one of those cargo flying drones laucce that when over the bored to a pre set area with the illegal stuff then land go though customs with your vodka and be happy when you pick up your drone later. Getting the drone back and the stuff in it are the hard parts but nothing a runner group cant do. also hide a nimrod in an other rack incase things get dicey
Not of this World
QUOTE (BRodda @ Aug 26 2008, 01:22 PM) *

In real life we have the FAA controlling all air traffic. I doubt the FAA survived the collapse of the U.S. government.

So I hold it is going to vary on a country by country basis. In Find your Own Truth they describe the Salish-Shidhe residents not caring about planes up in the air but worry about when they land.

Personally I like to use Target: Smuggler Havens as a guideline for that type of information as I feel it covers it pretty well.

Just bear in mind that security is not uniform across an entire border. So ratings are an average and certain appropriate locations will be easier or harder than what is listed.
sunnyside
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 26 2008, 06:11 PM) *
Personally I like to use Target: Smuggler Havens as a guideline for that type of information as I feel it covers it pretty well.

I have that book actually. But unless I missed it, the book has nothing on legally crossing borders in your plane or helicopter or whatever.

I'm sure there is something like the FAA in the UCAS. It's just a matter of its scope and capabilities. But I'd believe borders would be covered by basic radar if you don't try hide from it.

EDIT: hum. Got lucky trying again with google. Looks like at the RL canadian border you do have to land and go through customs if you want to get in legally.
http://www.dogskin.com/pilot.htm
DWC
Given the ridiculous nature of the flight characteristics of semiballistics and suborbitals, it seems nearly impossible for there not to be a centralized air traffic control system.

As for private planes crossing international borders, you generally do have to clear customs. How closely they check things out is a function of who owns the plane.
Jhaiisiin
As an aside, modern day FAA is no longer in charge of flight plans, in flight briefings or radio work. Basically everything covered by the FSS (Flight Service Stations) section of the FAA was sold to Lockheed Martin by Bush a few years ago. Air Traffic Control and Tower contact are both still government side, so far.
CanRay
All my group knows is that flying with guns (Legal) and no luggage is a sure-fire way to get a full-body cavity search by Bertha the Troll Security Woman.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012