Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Healing tests
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lividicus
There is a few peices of technology, mender, symbiotes, etc etc that add dice to healing tests. What constitutes a healing test? can these modifiers be applied to first aid rolls?
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Lividicus @ Aug 27 2008, 02:06 AM) *
There is a few peices of technology, mender, symbiotes, etc etc that add dice to healing tests. What constitutes a healing test? can these modifiers be applied to first aid rolls?

No.
Healing tests are made when resting for a full day after recovering all stun damage first.
They are Bodyx2 extended tests, each result healing one box of damage.

Besides the mentioned 'ware, net succeses generated by Medicine tests or mystical healing add dice as well.

Edit : in SR4, don't know wether you mean 3rd or 4th ed, but as you refer to mender endosonts, i assume you're talking 4th.
Lividicus
the reason i ask is the quick healer quality uses similar verbage to the cyber/bio etc modifiers....
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Lividicus @ Aug 27 2008, 02:34 AM) *
the reason i ask is the quick healer quality uses similar verbage to the cyber/bio etc modifiers....

Ah, yes, forgot that one.
It works the same and all those modifiers are cumulative.
Lividicus
i mean it says all healing tests made "on/for/by him including magical healing". the conditional modifiers of first aid are pretty interesting if they are actually used.

to really heal anything worth while you would at a minimum have to be high essence low magic while on the opposite spectrum be in optimal conditions.

If i am magically healed 2 dice are not applied to the magicians roll?
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Lividicus @ Aug 27 2008, 02:46 AM) *
i mean it says all healing tests made "on/for/by him including magical healing". the conditional modifiers of first aid are pretty interesting if they are actually used.

to really heal anything worth while you would at a minimum have to be high essence low magic while on the opposite spectrum be in optimal conditions.

If i am magically healed 2 dice are not applied to the magicians roll?

After rereading it, i would say they are applied, on Medicine as well as First Aid, heal spells, mystical healing and probably even that adept power that heals stun damage, as the latter two do not exclude the qualities' bonus dice.

I have also once more discovered that the German translation uses a different wording that adds possible new interpretations if you don't own the BBBs original version, as it speaks of "all tests made to heal his body"...damn.
I'm confused now.
Lividicus
Rasumichin,
I am not happy to have you question the test and modifiers. I was really hoping to get a solid answer. Is there a Developer that could clarify this for us?

my personal thoughts on the matter are if a GM is going to use the first aid and medicine "Conditions" modifiers then they should allow adding the modifiers of the qualities and tech that are brought up in this string.

Synner? Aaron? Frank? Annyone?
Lividicus
seriously no one has the answer to this question? how do other people run it?
jago668
Eh, we add it all in. If you are unfilling boxes of damage toss them dice on.
Jhaiisiin
Okay, if you're wanting a Dev/Freelancer answer, giving them more than 3 hrs is a good thing. There are a dozen of active threads in this forum alone, and they don't get paid to read Dumpshock (generally speaking). Give them some time, guy.

That said, the following may help:

The BBB discusses healing tests on pg 242. It talks about healing taking time, and healing is treated as an Extended Test (i.e. healing test). The small paragraph referring to glitching also specifically names the stun/physical healing tests as precisely that, a healing test. It never uses the term "healing test" when referring to First Aid, Medicine, or even magical healing. That said, every single one of those items, with the exception of Medicinal healing, are all tests to heal someone. Depending on where you're getting dice mods, they may apply to one or all of the types of healing. The Medicinal healing is a test to augment the natural healing test with bonus dice, so it can't benefit from any bonus to healing style improvements. To improve that test, you'd need things like Improved ability or similar items.

So let's look at the different options.

Quick healer Merit: This specifically says all healing tests on/for/by the character including magical healing. Looks like it applies to all manner of healing, because the body is more apt to recover quickly. So +2 dice to any of the above tests.

Medkits & Biomonitors: Apply dice mods to specifically First Aid or Medicine healing tests. They don't do healing on their own, just enhance what someone else can do.

Symbiotes (BBB, p 339): These apply a dice pool modifier equal to the rating of the ware to healing tests. It mentions applying to both Physical and stun, so only the natural tests, here. Magical healing wouldn't get the bonus, neither would first aid.

Mender Symbionts (Augmentation, p 71): These specifically give +2 dice to the physical healing test. Because of their description, this can only be the natural healing test listed in the BBB for the physical track. It won't help in first aid or magical healing, because the symbionts need time to get to the damage and deal with it.

Augmented healing Gene Therepy (Augmentation, p. 88): This is a complete heal over time, so doesn't augment any tests, instead replacing them entirely.

I think that covers them all. If I missed one, let me know and I'll toss an interpretation at you.

Aaron
QUOTE (Lividicus @ Aug 27 2008, 05:58 AM) *
Synner? Aaron? Frank? Annyone?

Sorry to take so long to respond to this. Incidentally, a friend of mine told me I should occasionally search for my own name on DSF, in case I miss something; I said that'd be more vain than useful, but now it looks like I owe somebody lunch.

I can't speak in any "official" way, but I've always interpreted "healing test" to mean "a test used to take boxes of damage off of the Condition Monitor." I favor this interpretation because of verbiage in Augmentation (I don't have the specific reference at the moment, I'm afraid).
tr0n
...all Healing Tests made on/for/by him, including magical healing.
This does not extend to tests made by the individual with the Quality attempting to heal someone else though, correct?

Example: Bob the Runner has Quick Healer. His teammate, Frank the Runner is wounded. Bob attempts First Aid and rolls his full dice pool +2 from Quick Healer as it indicates "by him"?

Or are we drawing a line between a Healing Test and a Skill Roll with this?
Roy Fokker
QUOTE (tr0n @ Feb 13 2009, 12:28 PM) *
This does not extend to tests made by the individual with the Quality attempting to heal someone else though, correct?

Example: Bob the Runner has Quick Healer. His teammate, Frank the Runner is wounded. Bob attempts First Aid and rolls his full dice pool +2 from Quick Healer as it indicates "by him"?

Arise, my child! Muhwaaaa!!! (you thread necromancer, you!) smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (tr0n @ Feb 13 2009, 12:28 PM) *

I would say "No" as the description on the Quick Healer power is that the individual with this power recovers from wounds faster.

I believe it also states that it only applies to rolls made on his wounds.
tr0n
Nah. It doesn't specifically state that, which is why my lawyer and loyal munchkin wants to argue it with me. I'm going to rule that it's silly semantics and move on. The quirk is obviously targeted at Healing Tests done by the character that owns the quirk and only for themselves. It does not provide a bonus modifier to Healing Tests for others just because you are working on them.

And yes, I plan on raising many of them from the dead! Mwuahahaha!
Draco18s
Rapid Healing
Cost: .25 per level
You recover more quickly from all forms of injury, using
magical energy to boost the normal healing process. Each level
adds 1 die to your Body for Healing Tests (see p. 242). The power
does not increase resistance to injury, toxins or pathogens, but
does allow you to recover from their effects more quickly.

YOU recover.
YOUR BODY for healing tests.

I think that's pretty clear.
Ard3
I think they were talking about this quality:

Quick Healer
Cost: 10 BP
A Quick Healer recovers from damage more quickly than other
characters do. The character receives a +2 dice pool modifier to
all Healing Tests made on/for/by him, including magical healing.

Emphasis mine. I would say it does work for healing other.
Maybe character has some sort of intuition/insight on how to optimize healing process.
Or he just is lucky or something else.

No one has ever taken it in our games so it havent been an issue.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Ard3 @ Feb 14 2009, 05:59 PM) *

Quick Healer
Cost: 10 BP
A Quick Healer recovers from damage more quickly than other
characters do. The character receives a +2 dice pool modifier to
all Healing Tests made on/for/by him, including magical healing.

Emphasis mine. I would say it does work for healing other.
Maybe character has some sort of intuition/insight on how to optimize healing process.
Or he just is lucky or something else.

No one has ever taken it in our games so it havent been an issue.

Er... I'd say that is a resounding no. The person with the quality recovers more quickly. The test BY him, refers to him actually making the roll for himself. You know, the rest-for-a-day and roll test...

Hence, the "A Quick Healer recovers..." part of the quality. It doesn't say "A quick healer heals others..."
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ard3 @ Feb 14 2009, 04:59 PM) *

Ah, right. Still, similar wording about "this character recovers faster" though.
Jhaiisiin
QUOTE (tr0n @ Feb 13 2009, 10:28 AM) *

Tiger Eyes beat me to it, but tests made "by" him are the ones on himself. Personal first aid, healing tests from resting, that kind of stuff. It doesn't mean they suddenly get the ability to heal others better.
Ard3
Ok, maybe I misunderstood it. English isnt my first language so sometimes I misinterpret it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012