Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Perception and Glass
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
wadsworth
So what is the impact of glass and glass like substances on visibility in the astral? Does wearing goggles or glasses prevent a mage from effectively perceiving the astral?

Aaron
Here's my understanding.

Glass is a physical object, physical objects cast astral shadows, astral shadows are "opaque."

Goggles, on the other hand, only cover the magician's eyes. Astral perception is an extraordinary sense, and calling it "seeing" is merely using a convenient metaphor. So unless the goggles are troll-sized and the astral perceiver is a pixie, I'd say no, they don't block astral "vision."
Muspellsheimr
Agreeing with Aaron. Physical transparency has no relevance on the Astral, only Object vs. Non-Object & Living vs. Non-Living.

As for the goggles, as pointed out, Astral 'vision' does not rely on eyes, or sight. Even wearing full-body suite does not restrict your Astral Sight.
DocTaotsu
Hm... I guess my question has to do with those fiber optic mage goggles. You can cast through them but you can't perceive? That seems fair to me (given that you take a negative modifier).
Eryk the Red
Actually, you can't perceive through the goggles because astral perception is not a matter of seeing light. The fiber optics wouldn't redirect the astral stuff through it so you could see it.
nezumi
In 2nd edition, you could not see through glass. 3rd edition they officially said you could (anything you can see through on the physical, you can see through on the astral). Don't know about 4th edition. However, I generally go with Aaron's interpretation.
Mr. Unpronounceable
In SR1 to SR3 all that would be correct.

In SR4, objects, no matter how solid, are only "astral shadows" imposing a -1 to -4 penalty (p. 114, Street Magic.)
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Aug 28 2008, 01:38 PM) *
In SR1 to SR3 all that would be correct.

In SR4, objects, no matter how solid, are only "astral shadows" imposing a -1 to -4 penalty (p. 114, Street Magic.)

Which contradicts that jarheads' auras are invisible in their drone bodies.

Actually, the referenced page in SM mentions that astral shadows are opaque and you can use them as cover just as on the physical plane.
Mr. Unpronounceable
Oops...

More accurately, opaque items' astral shadows are opaque, transparent item's astral shadows give the -1 to -4.

Sorry about that.
DocTaotsu
Ah so that explains the -2 penalty for fiberoptics
Mr. Unpronounceable
-3 isn't it? And that's even if you're not astrally perceiving.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Aug 28 2008, 02:15 PM) *
-3 isn't it? And that's even if you're not astrally perceiving.

Indeed.
And when you're astrally perceiving, it wouldn't work at all, as you'd been looking through 15 meters of shadowy material.
DocTaotsu
oops.

Well either way, it's hard smile.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Aug 28 2008, 08:17 AM) *
And when you're astrally perceiving, it wouldn't work at all, as you'd been looking through 15 meters of shadowy material.

And that's assuming the fiber optic cable is straight. I imagine the refractive properties of an astral shadow on whatever mana-stuff allows people to sense things on the astral plane leave much to be desired.
wadsworth
So I assume you guys assign a -1 penalty to a mage wearing glasses if they don't remove them before switching to astral perception? And based on my undestanding you can't astrally perceive through mage goggles?
Rasumichin
QUOTE (wadsworth @ Aug 29 2008, 03:13 AM) *
So I assume you guys assign a -1 penalty to a mage wearing glasses if they don't remove them before switching to astral perception? And based on my undestanding you can't astrally perceive through mage goggles?

The aura and therefore also astral perception extends slightly beyond the physical body.

Otherwise, mages would indeed have to take their glasses of and full-body armor or even clothing that covers the entire body would be an effective shielding from magic.

Mage sight goggles also allow astral perception, just not through the cable.
But you can see beyond the goggles.
wadsworth
Thanks for the clairification.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012