Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Market Forces
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
BishopMcQ
Roll Call:
- Sparky as Smoke: Female Human B&E
- Redjack as Mikey: Male Ork Hacker (technomancer)
- Buddha as D'Zan: Male Pixie Mage of the Unseelie Tradition
- Fenris as Argent: Male Fox Shapeshifter Social Adept Face

I'd like everyone to post a brief intro in the IC thread, following Red's example and we will get this party rolling. As I have time, I will be linking each of your characters to the names and hosting a digital copy.

Mission Page with support documentation as needed.
Redjack
Carrying over the Proposed Shared Lifestyle for further discussion:
Life Style (5,000 nuyen.gif) +40% (Mikey + Mikey's Brother + Smoke + D'Zan + Argent) = 7,000 nuyen.gif = 1,400 nuyen.gif each (Double for Mikey)
- Comfort = Middle (3)
- Entertainment = Middle (3)
- Necessities = Middle(3)
- Neighborhood = Low(2)
- Security = Middle (3)
- - Qualities: Free Access +1

Also, noting each team member's role:
- Fenris as Argent: Face
BishopMcQ
This had been a cut and paste from Fenris' post in H&H, but then he moved it over.

Move along, citizen.
Fenris
QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 31 2008, 12:29 PM) *
Carrying over the Proposed Shared Lifestyle for further discussion:
Life Style (5,000 nuyen.gif ) +40% (Mikey + Mikey's Brother + Smoke + D'Zan + Argent) = 7,000 nuyen.gif = 1,400 nuyen.gif each (Double for Mikey)
- Comfort = Middle (3)
- Entertainment = Middle (3)
- Necessities = Middle(3)
- Neighborhood = Low(2)
- Security = Middle (3)
- - Qualities: Free Access +1

Here's the format I was thinking of for the semi-combined lifestyle Buddha was talking about (carried over from the old OOC thread):

The Rowan Building (check lofts on the lower left-hand side)

Once a cutting edge ultra hip set of loft spaces on 5th & Spring in the Old Bank District, The Fall has left the area in San Bernadino nearly abandoned, and definitely not longer "the" place to live. The landlords were willing to give you a break, since the group of you were talking about renting the top 4 floors as one big unit, and frankly, there's not alot of people fighting over the space.

Proposed Shared Lifestyle

Shared Components:
- Necessities = Middle(3) - There are indeed four walls, and power and water is on most of the time. The loft spaces are large and open, so it's left to the individual to fill in the four brick walls. Most of the Lofts have balconies and second story mezzanines.
- Neighborhood = Low(2) - As typical in the sort of sprawl buildings that have enough residents, the people in the Rowan building have banded together to create their own community. Nobodies best friends or anything, but residents will watch your back, and the Mafia presence on the 6th floor keeps alot of the riff-raff away.
- - Qualities: Free Access +1 - Somebody nearby doesn't know how to secure their access point...
- - Easy-going Landlord +1 - With the Mafia renting out an entire floor, the landlord's less concerned with the smaller, individual residents, assuming you're not causing trouble.
- - No Privacy -1 - Back when the building was created, dozens of full sized windows along every wall would have been considered chic and helped to brighten up the place. Now they're more like open doors...
- - Worse Neighbors -1 - The upshots to having the Mafia renting one of the floors is more then balanced out by the noises and occasional violence when someone gets a little too "hands-on" with one of their persona-chipped, body-sculpted fake sim-stars.

Total base is 5 LP (Squatter Lifestyle, 500:nuyen: x 1.40 for extra people, / 5 gives you 140 nuyen.gif each, plus your own little kicks). Last three categories are up to you wink.gif

For Argent's floor:

- Comfort = Low (2) - Why bother with alot of expensive furnishings when you're going to be out every night among LA's elite?
- Entertainment = Middle (4) - Gotta grease the wheels and buy the threads that get you in the doors. Having the best possible entertainment center is key to impressing the people that run in the higher circles, and having that sought-after standing reservation in the new chic restaurant s worth eating soy at home, right? Besides, who wants to stay at home.
- Security = Low (2) - Just enough on the doors and windows to keep out the stupid street kids. Who's gonna hit a whole apartment building, right? It looks awful outside, that should be enough to deter most people wink.gif

So, 13 points total, minus the 5 points already counted up and divided, gives me 8 points for 1,400 nuyen.gif plus the 140 from before, for a total of 1,540.

QUOTE (Redjack)
Also, noting each team member's role:
- Fenris as Argent: Male Fox Shapeshifter Social Adept Face

Emphasis added
Redjack
If we all just have the same lifestyle and share it, it comes out better:
Necessities = Middle(3) - There are indeed four walls, and power and water is on most of the time. The loft spaces are large and open, so it's left to the individual to fill in the four brick walls. Most of the Lofts have balconies and second story mezzanines.
Neighborhood = Low(2) - As typical in the sort of sprawl buildings that have enough residents, the people in the Rowan building have banded together to create their own community. Nobodies best friends or anything, but residents will watch your back, and the Mafia presence on the 6th floor keeps alot of the riff-raff away.
Comfort = Low (2) - Why bother with alot of expensive furnishings when you're going to be out every night among LA's elite?
Entertainment = Middle (4) - Gotta grease the wheels and buy the threads that get you in the doors. Having the best possible entertainment center is key to impressing the people that run in the higher circles, and having that sought-after standing reservation in the new chic restaurant s worth eating soy at home, right? Besides, who wants to stay at home.
Security = Middle (3) - Locks and a decent security system come from having a mafia safehouse on the top floor. They like their boys to be safe when they're sleeping (or whatever) and their soldiers provide physical security for the building. Of course, that fee is factored in.
Qualities:
- - Free Access +1 - Somebody nearby doesn't know how to secure their access point...
- - Easy-going Landlord +1 - With the Mafia renting out an entire floor, the landlord's less concerned with the smaller, individual residents, assuming you're not causing trouble.
- - No Privacy -1 - Back when the building was created, dozens of full sized windows along every wall would have been considered chic and helped to brighten up the place. Now they're more like open doors...
- - Worse Neighbors -1 - The upshots to having the Mafia renting one of the floors is more then balanced out by the noises and occasional violence when someone gets a little too "hands-on" with one of their persona-chipped, body-sculpted fake sim-stars.

The only adjustment I made was to security.
14LP = 4,400 nuyen.gif * 1.4 = 6,160/5 = 1,232 nuyen.gif each. (2,464 nuyen.gif for Mikey)
Buddha72
My floor will be slightly different:

Necessities: Middle (3)
Neighborhood: Low (2)
Comfort: Low (2)
Entertainment: Low (2)
Security: Middle (3)

Free Access: +1
Easy-Going Landlord: +1
Hasty Exit: +2
No Privacy: -1
Worse Neighbors: -1

Total: 1,848 per month (included the +50% for pixie modification)

I lowered entertainment since trids blow up when I touch them and bought the hasty exit quality for a pixie fly out door from my loft. wobble.gif

Fenris
Redjack,

Totally fine with the lifestyle mods. We can assume the pixie's floor is just somewhere we don't really want to go ;D All the furniture's too small anyway...

Buddha72
Ok intro post up and I was thinking our place was a series of floors that have been connected and we're renting the large space. I was thinking mine space was up near the top/ceiling out of the way of the big people. That work for all?

HeySparky
Heya!

Found my way here. Had an unexpectedly un-connected weekend. Apologies.

Smoke's ATTs and Stats are finalized, still need to get gear. Biggest change is dropping Type-0, but the background remains the same. For other reasons. Added Parachuting and Pilot: Aircraft for even more thrillishness. I'm gonna need some help tricking out Smoke's part of the building.

Of note for Mikey: Smoke's old gang is Quicksilver (not "The Spiders," what was I thinking?)

Smoke gets by on luck and raw (totally untrained) charisma. Which means she gets by, mostly.
BishopMcQ
Smoke, India, or both...What should I refer to you as?

As a note, I have updated all the names to include links to your character sheets and added a Misison Page where I will list objectives, contact info etc.
HeySparky
She thinks of herself as India. In 3rd person she's India. To others she Smoke, possibly India, depending on how she met them. Smoke will be her working name.
Redjack
I'm actually looking for the team to give Mikey a street name once they start running. Ten will be referring to him as Runt, from time to time, as well.
HeySparky
What? Mikey doesn't like Runt?
Redjack
Mikey's threads up his analyze by two ([3,6,5,4,4,6] = 3 hits, drop 1; Buy drain) to insure that there isn't a trace active or nasty stuff like that.
Redjack
Mikey
Redjack
Wow! I just realized we all posted in on the same day last week.
Redjack
Willpower(4) + Charisma(4) = [4,6,2,4,1,3,1,5] = 2 hits
Attempt to resist urge to hack the node.
Fenris
lol at Red's compulsion resistance test ;D

Nice Motivational Pic up on the Mission page, Bishop.

So, sorry about boffing the flavor text thing guys, I thought he was talking about the Matrix, not the Metaplanes. Damn me for a fool ;D

So, the pure quicksilver thing sounds intriguing, anyone have any idea what the breath thing is about?

Quick knowledge test: Is Willem one of the LA movers-and-shakers in the Shadow community?
Street Knowledge Test: Prime LA Shadow-movers (7d6.hits(5)=3)

Or connected to Horizon?

Street Knowledge: Horizon Employees (7d6.hits(5)=2)

Bishop, is there anything I can do to get a feel for what the heck he's talking about as payment?
Coldhand Jake
Hate to pop in, but if you're still taking players, Jake's in the character lists, and actually operates out of LA
BishopMcQ
Coldhand--We're full up, but I'll put you on the reserve list if we need new blood.

Fenris--Willem isn't a Prime mover/shaker or connected to Horizon.

RE: Quicksilver/Breath--Magic Background or associated knowledge skills?
BishopMcQ
Food for Thought:

To the technophiles--Buddha and I were talking about ways for D'Zan to be present in the matrix without truly interacting with it. Setting up a holoprojector which was connected to the output signal of one of your connections and a camera/microphone for input would allow for a digital projection of what is going on and an input carier signal to get knowledge skills and feedback from D'Zan. This of course means that any actual manipulation of the matrix would be impossible for D'Zan and crashing the signal/unsubscribing the device would remove his input/output. The upside is that the team could all be present for future negotiations/meetings.
Redjack
I had thought about using a fly-spy or cam and whipping up a form to translate his conversation through an ARO. The holo-projector would definitely fill in the missing gap there.

RE: Quicksilver/Breath -- None from me. biggrin.gif
Buddha72
MQuillan beat me to the punch but I was going to say pretty much the same thing to you all. Also is someone wants they could scale back their matrix immersion and holler for D'zan to fly back down and help with the magic related questions since I think I'm the only one with the skills to do so.

PS Check out the new pic, got my friend to swing by and edit it for me. smile.gif
Buddha72
This is me posting so we don't drop the thread, someone post jacking out partway and get my character involved or move the thread forward. grinbig.gif
Redjack
Done. biggrin.gif
Buddha72
Ok here are my knowledge rolls:

Arcana: 3 hits
Enchanting: 3 hits
Magical Traditions: 5 hits

Let me know if that turns something up. Thanks!
BishopMcQ
Buddha--

Quicksilver is the alchemical name for mercury. It is used in enchanting and alchemy coming in multiple forms from Natural to Radical. Street Value between 600-2,400 nuyen.gif per unit based on quality/purity.

Distilled breath--many unique enchantments or formulas require exotic reagents. A distilled breath would be one such reagent, the value will be based on what the breath is distilled from. The more exotic the creature or requirement, the higher the value, but also the harder to sell.

Buddha72
Since we have shared history, you would all know that D'zan gets most of his gear and supplies from someplace called the Troll Market. He claims it lies elsewhere and you have to bargain to gain access to it and that most supernatural sentient things know of it in one form or other. You have seen strange creatures drop by the loft with packages from time to time.
BishopMcQ
Looks like we are into the legwork and planning section.

Please post your data searches/etiquette tests here.

Data Search (Subject)
Total Hits

or

Etiquette (Subject) - Contact (C/L)
Total Hits

Feel free to also throw out any knowledge skills that you want to test. I am also going to try and implement a new process, where I will look at your sheets and if there is basic information (4/1 trade) that you will know from your skills include it. That said, you can always roll the dice for more info.

Argent--You know that most of the docks in LA are automated. There are 2 which are not automated.
D'zan--You've seen boots in this style before.
Mikey--The Koshari handle most of the criminal trade in awakened goods.
Smoke--There is a previously abandoned lighthouse which used to be open for free-running. Access has been recently barred to allow a "light at sea."
Buddha72
I dig the format of telling us what basic information we have based on our skills. My only feedback would be to indicate perhaps which skill feed us that info so we know which avenue to pursue for further information. rotate.gif

So here's my rolls for things:

Enchanting Are the boots magical perhaps?
3 hits

Arcana Are the boots an important magical thing from way back when?
3 hits

Magical Traditions Does footwear feature in some tradition?
3 hiits

Magical Threats Are they dangerous?
4 hits

Oh and someone flash some pics of the boots and information about the run before D'zan gets impatient and fries a commlink tying to get the data himself. devil.gif
Buddha72
Happy Monday all!

This is just me doing the weekly bump/reminder for the thread. grinbig.gif
Redjack
Heads up: I am heading out at 3am tomorrow for the airport and will be out of town on business all week, returning just in time for a Cub Scout camp out... I will try to post in, but if it all goes to hell in a handbasket, could be next Monday before I post in.

That should give Bishop some time to work through all our legwork though. wink.gif
BishopMcQ
Hey all--

I blame the moose and squirrel, but fearless leader got distracted. That and I was waiting for everyone to sound off. I will push forward with legwork for D'Zan and Mikey in just a little bit. (It hopefully will stay quiet at work tonight)
Fenris
Duh. Just re-read Bishops post and realized I could still roll for legwork:

What's Robert O'Conner's Pito Rating?

Intuition+Pito Roll re: Robert Conner (8d6.hits(5)=3)

And moving on to the next set of legwork:

Does UCLA have housing it provides for tenured professors in the LA Area?:

Intuition+LA Area for UCLA Tenured Professors Housing (7d6.hits(5)=2)
Redjack
Ok. I'm back. Are we still moving forward?
Buddha72
I think so, I was down for the count for the last days passing a kidney stone (avoid this if at all possible, the pain is extraordinary) and I'm going to post to get things moving again from the player side of things now that I'm off pain killers.
BishopMcQ
What's Robert O'Conner's Pito Rating?
He does not have a Pito rating.

Does UCLA have housing it provides for tenured professors in the LA Area?:
Most professors live off campus--on campus housing is provided for students, the Dean of the College, and VIPs.
Buddha72
So as players/characters are we looking to do this by committee or have someone be the leader and call the shots? As a character I am il suited to lead (that's putting it mildly) and as a player I feel like having someone in charge moves things along a little faster especially in a PbP/board game. What does everyone else think? I ask now to make sure we don't flounder and sputter out in the legwork phase like so many threads because we don't present the GM with a clear idea of what we want to do next. Does that make sense? Sound off!
Buddha72
So as players/characters are we looking to do this by committee or have someone be the leader and call the shots? As a character I am il suited to lead (that's putting it mildly) and as a player I feel like having someone in charge moves things along a little faster especially in a PbP/board game. What does everyone else think? I ask now to make sure we don't flounder and sputter out in the legwork phase like so many threads because we don't present the GM with a clear idea of what we want to do next. Does that make sense? Sound off!
BishopMcQ
Buddha--Are you going to go to the Market to get more info?

RJ--Is there anything else you want to do a data search on?

Sparky--India is the appropriate age to be on campus, if you choose to just kick down a door and grab him.

Fenris--What's your plan from here? You've been on campus before.
Fenris
I'll toss it out IC, but since I don't have any better options personally, I'd think have Silver pull as much info out of the 'Net as he can on this guy, and I'll go on campus and tail him. I don't think he's going to be carrying the boots around, but if we can see where he works and where he lives, I think that will give us the two most likely places to check.
Buddha72
Ok while you all head out to dig up more information on the target, I'm going to work some contacts for more information since a pixie flitting about is less than discreet and while I have magic to help with some of that I don't think me being there is necessary so I think I can do some more good hunting for more intelligence on the item and the Johnson. I'll throw up a quick IC post stating my intentions and then tomorrow morning/early afternoon I'll do a more involved post for the rolls/flavor text for the sleuthing.
Buddha72
Postponing the fact finding trip to the Market to go with the team on the fact finding jaunt through college, excellent point Redjack I forgot that Argent is a social adept, in my head I slotted him as Awakened/Magical. wink.gif

Do we want to just get bumped to being on campus looking for our mark? I'm fine with it.
HeySparky
Likewise on the bump to campus.

D'zan can be riding in Smoke's backpack or disguised a drone. A malfunctioning drone. grinbig.gif
Buddha72
Thanks for the bump Sparky. Happy new week all! I think at this point we just need a little GM love to set the stage for the college and away we go. smile.gif
Redjack
Just realized I hadn't made all those rolls.
Spoof ID's when loading onto the first bus:
Mikey/Silver: [3,3,4,4,2,3,2,5,1,2,1,5,3] = 2 hits
Argent: [5,4,6,1,3,3,3,5,1,1,6,6,6] = 6 hits
India/Smoke: [1,1,6,2,2,2,1,1,3,1,6,5,3] = 3 hits

Hack college student's com (Not sure of the threshold. Looking for admin access (+6). Stealth is 5.)
Pass #1: [6,4,2,4,1,6,5,5,4,3,1,2,3,5,3] = 5 hits
Pass #2: [4,4,3,2,2,4,2,1,6,6,5,1,2,1,4] = 3 hits ( 8 )
Pass #3: [3,1,4,1,2,2,5,1,4,5,5,2,1,1,5] = 4 hits ( 12 )

Spoof ID's when arriving at the college:
Mikey/Silver: [1,2,2,1,3,3,5,2,3,4,1,1,5] = 2 hits
Argent: [4,6,3,3,2,3,3,6,5,6,3,6,3] = 5 hits
India/Smoke: [4,5,4,4,6,5,2,2,6,2,4,5,4] = 5 hits
Buddha72
Happy Monday all!

I think at this point the GM has hit some time crunches with work and some other stuff but I believe the light at the end of the tunnel for him. Just doing my bit to keep things going and say I'm still here. grinbig.gif
HeySparky
Here too. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012