Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you like to see played up?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sunnyside
To get the ball rolling I'd like to see more Japanese racism.

It's prevalent to a degree in real life (Gaijin and foreigners not being welcome in many Japanese establishments), it's laid out in the old sourcebooks at least. And they don't just dislike anyone not Japanese, but in SR they were pretty vicious to metahumans (especially the ugly ones naturally). I think they had a name for them too, I forget what it was. Ah! Kawaru

Anyway I should work that up in my own game and I'd like to see it back in the books.

Ravor
Things from the deepest darkest regions of the Astral that will eat your soul before stealing your face.
HappyDaze
I'd like to see deep distrust and prejudice against anyone not taking part of the AR world at all times.
Ryu
I`ll have what HappyDaze is having. Plus a growing awakened population.
Ravor
The increased importance of cyberware over equipment.
WeaverMount
I'd like to see nano tech leading to a radical price drop on 'ware. I'd also like to see it played up that everyone feel that a (meta)-human population is becoming less and less useful to the elites and people have to cyber up to get a 2-bit job.

oh and screw Big D' I wants me some horrors
GreyBrother
I want meat. MORE MEATDAMNIT!

I want a wedge between Technomancers and Magicians.

And a new classic cyberpunk metaplot like RAS.

Did i mention the meat?
Pathological Pixel
QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 31 2008, 02:18 PM) *
Things from the deepest darkest regions of the Astral that will eat your soul before stealing your face.

Special delivery!

Slurp!
DV8
Cyberpunk.
apollo124
IE's and the return of things from the 4th world!
(ducking for cover) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Snow_Fox
development of the world, the culture and lifestyles. that's what I love about the early books, which gave you a sense you were in a living world, not just a place for runs and rule books. I miss that. It's why the original Seattle SB is still on my main book shelf in my home office where I can reach it and the later books about Seattle are in the main library.
Wesley Street
The return of the full color four plate inserts in larger sourcebooks. Check out the Seattle, London and Germany sourcebooks. They were filled with mock ads that used real photography, props, costumes and models for dance clubs, news media, shopping malls, the Universal Brotherhood and more. My favorite was the domestic house staff ad from the London book that had a photo ad of an elf maid and an ork butler. It's a bit cheeky but it's fun and it gives a slice of real world flavor to a fictional universe. Just get a bunch of cosplay geeks and you've got yourself free models. smile.gif
Zhan Shi
The story of...

1. ...Lugh Surehand being deposed.

2. ...how Saito was expelled from the CFS.

3. ...the plot to kill Haefner.

4. ...what happened to Nadia Daviar.

5. ...the activities of the DF and Assets, Inc., during the events surrounding the Second Crash. They seemed conspicuously absent.

6. ...who the secret winner of the Probe Race was, and what information they discovered.

7. ...the ultimate fate of Captain Chaos and Alice.

Last, but not least...Threats 3!

Remjin
Heck, I'd like to see more in the old sneaky and smart and less of the HULK SMASH mentality. Bigger isn't always better, though it helps. =)
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Sep 1 2008, 11:27 AM) *
The return of the full color four plate inserts in larger sourcebooks. Check out the Seattle, London and Germany sourcebooks. They were filled with mock ads that used real photography, props, costumes and models for dance clubs, news media, shopping malls, the Universal Brotherhood and more. My favorite was the domestic house staff ad from the London book that had a photo ad of an elf maid and an ork butler. It's a bit cheeky but it's fun and it gives a slice of real world flavor to a fictional universe. Just get a bunch of cosplay geeks and you've got yourself free models. smile.gif

EXACTLY!!!!
Ravor
Hell, I'd settle for Threats 2 in PDF.
Kronk2

I'd like more intel on how screwed wageslaves really are. I'd like to see module for Austin, TX vs the Azzies. I want the NeoAnarchists back. they were kinda the soul of the game.
Kronk2
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Sep 1 2008, 09:13 PM) *
EXACTLY!!!!

Agree. I miss the old school cool of the London book. I used to take that stupid thing to lunch with me as a kid.

I want my players to be feel that runners are the coolest mofo's in the gaming world. not because they are powerful, but because at the end of the day Shadowrunning is just plane cooler than any other fantasy profession. I like to think as shadowrunners as being somewhere between jason bourne and ocean's 11.
venenum
QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Sep 2 2008, 02:29 AM) *
I like to think as shadowrunners as being somewhere between jason bourne and ocean's 11.

The old 1970's one or the newer one?
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Zhan Shi @ Sep 1 2008, 06:55 PM) *
The story of...

1. ...Lugh Surehand being deposed.

2. ...how Saito was expelled from the CFS.

3. ...the plot to kill Haefner.

4. ...what happened to Nadia Daviar.

5. ...the activities of the DF and Assets, Inc., during the events surrounding the Second Crash. They seemed conspicuously absent.

6. ...who the secret winner of the Probe Race was, and what information they discovered.

7. ...the ultimate fate of Captain Chaos and Alice.

Last, but not least...Threats 3!

Plus pretty much everything mentioned here and the were are they now thread, just alot of old unanswered questions. What is the fate of Mr Darke, whats the low down on the two dragons in Atzlan that are mentioned in Augmentation...etc..
paws2sky
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Sep 1 2008, 11:27 AM) *

Just so long as they're careful not to avoid the WoD problem: Photoshop

Photoshoping a picture just because you thing it looks kewl < quality photography

IMO, of course.
-paws
GreyBrother
nWoD or oWoD?
Wesley Street
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Sep 2 2008, 10:21 AM) *
Just so long as they're careful not to avoid the WoD problem: Photoshop

Photoshoping a picture just because you thing it looks kewl < quality photography

IMO, of course.
-paws

Photoshop is like makeup. You don't want to look like you're using it. The 1st ed. books were able to get away with photos by using good lighting, props and costuming. The cybereyes looked a little cheesy (as did the ork makeup) but that was part of the charm. I'm sure there are excellent creature makeup artists out there who could do some models up, proper like.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Sep 1 2008, 04:27 PM) *
The return of the full color four plate inserts in larger sourcebooks. Check out the Seattle, London and Germany sourcebooks.

Oh gods no. I can't speak for the Germany sourcebook since its been so long since I read it that I can't remember what they were like but the London pictures were shite. Seriously, they were bad. How FASA had the nerve to put them in I will never know.
FlashbackJon
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Aug 31 2008, 03:20 PM) *
I'd like to see deep distrust and prejudice against anyone not taking part of the AR world at all times.

+1
FlakJacket
Less airy fairy elfery, simply because the whole Tirs idea (both of them) always just struck me as slightly ridiculous for their various reasons. Tir Tirngaire got opened up some so I'd like to see what happened there fleshed out in more detail and we need something to shake up Tir Na nOg as well. To quote myself from the Compromise thread,

QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Aug 28 2008, 01:20 AM) *
QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 24 2008, 03:10 PM) *
Keep Tir na nOg much like it was - it propably won't have wifi all over anyway, being technophobic as it is), let it keep it's veil and seeolie court and basically be a setting for people who like mystical elf stuff.

'fraid not. One of the runs in the London section of Cities of Intrigue involves the runners breaking into a military site in north-west London, hacking an isolated matrix host and stealing a set of encrypted data without being discovered. Which later turns out to be the launch codes for the UK's four Bellerophon class SSBN submarines - HMS Bellerophon, HMS Black Prince, HMS Britannia and HMS Bulwark. All four submarines launch and their missiles go burning south. Scratch Tir Na nOg - everything from Cavan to Cork is toast. Whilst nearly two thirds of the warheads fail to detonate thanks to the Veil and other unknown reasons 131 nuclear warheads still get through and detonate. The entire country is devastated and reduced to ruin, the Seelie Court in particular is heavily targeted with Lady Brane Deigh being killed and the rest of it almost wiped out to a man. Alaicha herself is killed by a piece of flying debris when a warhead that failed to activate and broke up coming through the Veil comes screaming in at over 10 kilometres a second, piercing her shields and hitting her on the side of her head - she was unable to use the Hand of God since she previously used it back in 2053 to avoid the embarrassment of choking to death on a piece of toast that got lodged in her throat.

I call it my Church of Jim plan. wink.gif
Wesley Street
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Sep 2 2008, 03:10 PM) *
Oh gods no. I can't speak for the Germany sourcebook since its been so long since I read it that I can't remember what they were like but the London pictures were shite. Seriously, they were bad. How FASA had the nerve to put them in I will never know.

If by "shite" you mean "totally awesome" I agree! biggrin.gif
FlakJacket
Please tell me you're taking the piss. Those pictures of people dressed up as if from the 2050s looked as though they'd been done by a school drama department with bugger all budget. smile.gif
Wesley Street
Well, what do you expect when you have no budget and are working with cameras, wigs and lights from 1989? Sometimes it's the effort that counts even if the end result is a little corny looking. Plus RPG art is the red-headed stepchild of the illustration world. But with twenty years of advancement in photographic technology accompanied by professional models and convincing wardrobes, kickass photo images could be produced. Hell, it'd look better than most of the shitty Poser art I've seen.
sunnyside
I hope that first one is a female...

Though since these things are sort of getting into the realm of what people could do I wonder if they could have a competition or something.

Though I'd hope they'd have an "emo disqualification" clause.
Blade
What I'd like to see played up is the power and most of all the scope of megacorporations. I'm tired of seeing things like: Azt=Stuffer Shack (and blood magic), Ares=Guns and Renraku=Computer. They are megacorporations, not big companies!
Horizon is not Time-Warner&Disney&Hollywood&other media companies, Horizon is Exxon&General Electrics&Microsoft&HSBC&Walmart&Time-Warner&Disney&Hollywood and so on. And so are all megacorps, or they don't deserve that name!
Wesley Street
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Sep 3 2008, 01:06 AM) *
I hope that first one is a female...

Welcome to the future! biggrin.gif
Kairo
QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 31 2008, 02:29 PM) *
The increased importance of cyberware over equipment.

+1

I'd also like to see more development on the border runs between nations. For example the Cheyenne-Omaha corridor between the Sioux and the UCAS, or just about anything in Latin America.
Wesley Street
So with this setting stuff what are you all looking for? Updates on the Shadows of... and other 1st-3rd edition location sourcebooks? Or are you looking for more crunch, like sensor net ratings, border patrol stats, currency exchange rates, etc.? That's the kind of stuff I'd like to know.

I see a lot of posts from people that are essentially "tell me who is in charge of Tir Tairngirie and Aztlan and why" or "please change the setting to fit my view of Shadowrun" rather than "this is what really needs to be developed in order to take out a lot of guesswork from me and for me to run a more effective and efficient game." The Runner Havens and Corporate Enclaves books both give tips on how to build your own settings. I'm assuming Feral Cities and Cities of Intrigue will do the same.

My problem with a fictional world that's too well-defined is that it takes away a lot of creativity from GMs in setting development.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012